× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Custom VPN?

Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Please read the guide carefully. Hybrid VPN supports all OpenVPN providers, of which most providers are (as you say). You just need to click the advanced option.

Message 101 of 143
mierwins
Guide

I did that and all I get is a username and password option. Obviously that’s not nearly enough to get connected to anything.

Where are all the config options?
Message 102 of 143
DLlasa
Aspirant

while its the sadest implementation of something i have seen in a long while, to be fair it is there....

when you click the advanced button there will also be a larger open text field at the bottom. you have to actually get the .opvn file from your VPN provider (many will provide you one) or you have to take it from your openVPN client. Then you open it in a test editor and then copy the contents from the .opvn file into the open text field...

yea.. i know.. we have all said it or thought it.. but it 'technically' works. 

Message 103 of 143
mierwins
Guide

Yes, definitely clunky but i'll give that a shot.  If it works then that's all I care about.  🙂

Message 104 of 143
Alaric55
Tutor

I use IPVanish as VPN provider and I got it to work with the advanced option.
I can also assign certain computers and devises on the network to the VPN.
What I have’nt figured out is how to assign a network to the VPN?
Example, I would like to assign a network as 192.168.3.x to VPN while 192.168.1.x is bypassing the VPN.
Anyone know how to do that?
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 105 of 143
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Alaric, it's not possible to do that. You can only assign devices. What would be your use case for assigning networks?
Message 106 of 143
schumaku
Guru

@Alaric55 wrote:
Example, I would like to assign a network as 192.168.3.x to VPN while 192.168.1.x is bypassing the VPN.

Does the XR500 support configuring multiple (V)LANs with different IP subnetworks at all?

Message 107 of 143
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No that's not possible currently

Message 108 of 143
TeamRocket
Aspirant

This advance settings method can only be used if you set/create a dns service or static ip. Which I would of thought defeats the purpose of a vpn? as it means they are storing the data of the sites you visit.
This seems to be a very bad router as far as wanting to use a vpn goes. My vpn service recommends using neither of these options and sending it back.
Message 109 of 143
DLlasa
Aspirant

That is not the case, I know I was able to connect to VPN using a dynamic IP. I think my DNS is static but the IP is definitely dynamic.
Message 110 of 143
TeamRocket
Aspirant

When I go into adnvace setting, vpn and try to click on set up for windows. It says you must enable vpn and press apply first. When I enable vpn and press apply it says you must enable dynamic dns or static ip first. Dynamic dns requires registering a dns page for your traffic to be stored and ip static is just not a good option all together. So I'm not sure why mine is different to yours but I can not enable vpn without completing one of the 2 options given. And my vpn service adviced me not to enable either of these options when I had them walking me through the set up. Was advised a better option would be to send it back and get a router you can flash the firmware on. Eg linksys. If you know anyway around not creating a dns page or static ip please could you tell me how you done it. I would be very greatful to not go through the hassle of sending it back, I excitingly just recieved this router yesterday.
Message 111 of 143
schumaku
Guru

@TeamRocket  ... I'm a little bit confused what you want to achieve. To establish a VPN connection to the router - beyond of the requirement that the router must be exposed to the Internet (no carrier grade NAT, no ISP side firewall rules - unless properly configured for the OpenVPN config, ...) - obviously the router must have a pubic accessible IP address, either resolvable by a DDNS service (as the IP can and will change over time), or the "business" class approach would be paying for a fix assigned IP address (what most IT people tend to combine with a domain and a DNS entries - as FQDNs are easier than ip addresses). This DNS name, or DDNS name, or as last resort the static IP of your router Internet connection, must be used for the OpenVPN config for the "calling home" VPN. Wild guess this is what your new router does try to explain you - but it's unclear if the last post does talk of the router or the Windows system. The very same applies to any router. Just like your phone provider does assign phone numbers to your fixed line and your mobile phone, IP addresses are required to be reached. No number - so nowhere to call.

To establish a OpenVPN connection from your Windows system to your router, there is no VPN provider required - you generate the OpenVPN config on the router, and set it in place on your Windows (or whatever other) OpenVPN client. 

If you on the other hand establish some VPN connection from the router to some hide-my-a**-type VPN provider - for example for all LAN IP addresses - all traffic from the LAN and the router will use that VPN provider default gateway. When establishing a VPN connection from your Windows system, it is possible the return traffic does not come back to the Windows system, instead it will flow to the VPN provider, and (of course) the VPN client on the WIndows system would fail.

Message 112 of 143
TeamRocket
Aspirant

I am trying to achieve the vpn being on the router not on a software on Windows. For example any device that comes into my home and connects to my broadband is automatically protected by my vpn provider. Iphones, androids, Ps4, PC, Etc.
Message 113 of 143
TeamRocket
Aspirant

For example on a linksys I am able to upload my vpn firmware directly to the router itself.
Message 114 of 143
schumaku
Guru

Automatically protected from what? Reading to much Internet tales, VPN service provider "marketing", or concerned your ISP and/or Government authorities will have an eye on your activities?

In my understanding, all Nighthawk Gaming Pro routers are supposed to have got the ability to configure a custom VPN client config for this (in a much more granular way). Somebody with a really XR500 at hand might confirm or deny (also one of the Duma mods).

The ability of flashing 3rd party firmware has not.much to do with Linksys vs. Netgear. It does not make much sense to buy an expensive Nighthawk Gaming Pro platform which does include the expensive and advanced Duma OS capabilities just to flash some basic 0815 firmware. That's why there might be not many 3rd part firmware build available for this router family - however these exist for the "original" platorm like the R7800.
Message 115 of 143
TeamRocket
Aspirant

Thanks for your replies.
Message 116 of 143
schumaku
Guru

@TeamRocket As per a previous reply in this thread from a bout 23 January 2019 https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-Custom-VPN/m-p/1694701/highlight... Custom VPN is available on all firmware (starting from about 2.3.2.40).

There is a guide DumaOS Optimal Settings Guide: Hybrid VPN - This guide will help you setup Hybrid VPN on your DumaOS... the ability to import virtually any typical VPN service provider OpenVPN configuration. 

Nothing that stops you from hiding your a** from the ISP P2P or whatever monitoring. 

Message 117 of 143
TeamRocket
Aspirant

Thank you!
So the mistake I was making was going to settings>advance settings>VPN
Instead of
Hybrid VPN>Set up>Advance settings

Stupid mistake on my end. Thanks.
Message 118 of 143
TeamRocket
Aspirant

Can I check something else as this is my first time setting up a vpn like this. I have to copy and paste the opvn files into the advance settings box. My VPN is a separate opvn file per location. So do I download as many different opvn files (locations) as I want and copy and paste them all in there one after the other..... Or is it to be done by copying one opvn file and if I want to change location I have to come back and delete it and paste a new opvn file in there? Thanks.
Message 119 of 143
schumaku
Guru

Per location ... talking of different VPN providers? 

Not an active XRnnn user ... I guess only one can be loaded at a time. And I don't know of there is a killswitch function available stopping any other communication of the VPN provider is not workable.

@Netduma-Fraser @Netduma_Jack @Netduma_Luke  please.

Message 120 of 143
TeamRocket
Aspirant

The opvn file you must paste in advance settings.... Well my vpn provider has one per location for example east London is a opvn file, new York new York another opvn file, Paris another opvn file. I wondered if I should paste them all into that box. Or just paste one then if I want to be in another location do the set up again but paste that locations opvn file.... But don't even worry actually I'll happily just paste one of these files in there I'm not that fussed about location jumping.... Although it does come in handy when certain things are restricted to certain areas (like watching a video online that is not available to that country). However you have been very helpful and I appriciated it and I don't mind using the app on my pc to make location jumping simple and using this router method exclusively for devices that can not download the app like my ps4 and setting that as the only device to use vpn in router settings. Thanks again.
Message 121 of 143
schumaku
Guru

Are you travelling with your router? Otherwise choose the provider location with the best location for your home/office location. Amazing these providers are still working on technology from stone-age Internet - nowadays it should not be difficult to provide the best IP address(es) based on the location the requests are coming from nowadays, and also based on the load of these VPN concentrator locations.

We can dispute that say you are located in France that using a French (or even any other EU based) location might be that smart from the legal prospective. Not every difficult to seizure a VPN providers infrastructure - where most are used to hide suspect criminal activities in a certain area anyway - and investigate. Without any user notifiying. (France was just a wild guess btw.)

Message 122 of 143
TeamRocket
Aspirant

It was more so I could have the option of changing location if I was trying to watch something on say Netflix or online that is not available in my country. However I do know which is best for my location. Would of just liked the option to easily jump to other location for restricted to certain countries content.... When such a situation arises. Thanks thou. Not a big deal. 🤝
Message 123 of 143
schumaku
Guru

Not sure again @Netduma-Fraser @Netduma_Jack @Netduma_Luke  ... wasn't one of the intention for Costom VPN having some policy routing so designated devices on the LAN (by IP, by IP range, ..) can use different VPN gateways?

Message 124 of 143
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

That's right - you just need to paste one openvpn file into the config file for the server you want to use. You can then decide which device(s) the VPN should apply to, as well as choose the applications you want to go through the VPN (or not).

Full guide here: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000087492--dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-...

Message 125 of 143
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7