× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 DAILY INTERNET DROPS

Sidz_Gaming_
Guide

XR500 DAILY INTERNET DROPS

XR500 FW 2.3.2.130

Hello all this is my 1st post to please bare with me

i bought my xr500 (XRM570) and i have been having issues ever since i set it up, internet drops i thought it was my ISP so had them come out a numoruse of time, but i really do think its the router, after reading up on the issue i have seen i am not the only one, every time the internet drops it always have renew lease in the logs, today i tried for the 1st time while the XR500 was down try using my isp router and it worked, so it must be the XR500

netgear support have been no help at all, i finaly get an email saying they are going to issue me an RMA (replacement) but then they close the case and no reply, i really dont know what to do anymore my house secuirty is internet based so i rely on the internet working more. i bought this router so i could have better internet but at the minute feel like i have boight an expensive paper weight.

Can anyone please help me or put me in contact with somone that could help

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.
Message 2 of 41
Sidz_Gaming_
Guide

most of my devices i have put in the Address Reservation but will try this, when the internet goes completely down i can not even acsess the routers page 

ps. my computer is hard wired 

thank you

Message 3 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It is a known issue unfortunately but hopefully by doing that step it will reduce the frequency
Message 4 of 41
Sidz_Gaming_
Guide

Okay, being a known issue how come net gear didn’t say that, also is there likely to be a fix, I read that it has been an issue in past few updates

Message 5 of 41
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Yes it's one that NETGEAR are well aware of and we're also doing all we can to help them troubleshoot it where possible. We're planning to have it resolved for the next firmware update, but it's going to require some endurance testing from us before we know if it's actually fixed.

Message 6 of 41
Sidz_Gaming_
Guide

Okay is there any beta software available
Message 7 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You're on the latest version currently and there aren't any beta versions currently available that are more up to date than your version.
Message 8 of 41
Sidz_Gaming_
Guide

Sorry for all questions, is this an issue with the XR1000 as well
Message 9 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No worries at all, this is what we're here for! It's not an issue that is as prevalent on the XR1000 - I've not seen as many people have it.
Message 10 of 41
MikeWilde
Initiate

Just to note, I had this issue as well on my XR1000. Following the advice of this thread fixed the issue. 5 days and not a single drop.

Message 11 of 41
steiNetti
Tutor

Set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.

@Netduma-Fraser  are those IP ranges specific?  I really don't want to reconfigure the whole house (reserved addresses are between 50 and 119) to eventually get a workaround..

I'd rather set the DHCP range to > 120 if that's an option and leave reserved adresses as-is..

Message 12 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@steiNetti No it's not specific, as long as you have reserved IP address outside of the DHCP range then that is the main thing to help prevent the issue.
Message 13 of 41
steiNetti
Tutor

...nope. it just dropped. Again.
Message 14 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the model of the modem/router the XR connects to? Do you know if you have a dynamic public IP?
Message 15 of 41
Sidz_Gaming_
Guide

Updated my XR500 to v2.3.2.134 as soon as it came out, hoping it would sort the drops out,

nope still not sorted, doing the reserved IP helps but does still drop, every other day, really surprised NETGEAR have left so many consumer for years with this issue, plus when I spoke to NETGEAR they say they have never seen this issue before, which we all know is a lie and they are well aware of the issue 

hopefully there is a new firmware soon or even a beta Firmware soon, but with the last updates they were months apart 

Message 16 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Did you do a full on factory reset and setup from scratch after loading v.134? 

Also after setting up from scratch, set the IP address pool size on the LAN to 192.168.1.100 to .200. 

When this happens do you see the Internet LED on the XR router turn AMBER at all?

What channels are you using? Auto? 
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

I have v.134 loaded on my XR450 and haven't seen any drops. 

@Sidz_Gaming_ wrote:

Updated my XR500 to v2.3.2.134 as soon as it came out, hoping it would sort the drops out,

nope still not sorted, doing the reserved IP helps but does still drop, every other day, really surprised NETGEAR have left so many consumer for years with this issue, plus when I spoke to NETGEAR they say they have never seen this issue before, which we all know is a lie and they are well aware of the issue 

hopefully there is a new firmware soon or even a beta Firmware soon, but with the last updates they were months apart 

Message 17 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did you factory reset after upgrading to that version? We have had reports that it does seem to be resolved for more people on that version.
Message 18 of 41
Sidz_Gaming_
Guide

I sure did, as soon as I updated I factory restored it
Message 19 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are the reserved IPs you set outside the DHCP range? If they're not that will be why it is still dropping
Message 20 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Just to be clear, when you set a specific IP address pool size, 192.169.1.2 to .49 or 192.168.1.100 to .200, ALL IP Address RESERVATIONS should be made and added with in this pool size range ON the router. Anything outside of these  pool size ranges should only be used by devices that you can set STATIC IP Address ON devices themselves. The router will not manage these with any reservations nor should users attempt to set any IP address reservations for static IP addressed devices. You either set IP address reservations INSIDE the IP address pool or set static IP ON devices OUTSIDE of the IP address pool. 

Message 21 of 41
Sidz_Gaming_
Guide

sorry for late reply, yes i have definitely done what you have said,

also I have found another bug with the latest version 

when on Remote Management screen on the routers settings it shows the routers ip which is wrong it should show you the external ip but it doesn't

Message 22 of 41
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Interesting, what's the make and model of the modem it's connected to? Is it a pure modem or is it a modem/router combo (Wi-Fi enabled)?

Could you possibly attach a screenshot of the new issue you're seeing? Remote Management is one of NETGEAR's settings but again we'll do our best to assist you with it.

Message 23 of 41
Sidz_Gaming_
Guide

It is connected to virgin business modem/router, I did put that in modem only mode but was told that it can cause issues with virgin so keep it in router mode but just put the netgear router as the DMZ,
Also I have sorted the issue with the remote, it game me the ip and then port number as the address, I went on Google and searched my external ip and then put that instead of what it was telling me and now it works,
Message 24 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When it drops again could you grab the logs from the System Information page please and we can double check if it seems to be the same issue
Message 25 of 41
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7