× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 DEVICE NOT FOUND

Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You said you lag and rubberband without the router and if you didn't have the router it is unplayable so it doesn't sound too stable which is the inherent problem as the router can't fix an inherently unstable connection
Message 51 of 65
Mike40
Apprentice

The connection is stable for everything else EXCEPT the PS5.  That is the reason I bought the router when I had the PS4.  When I do anything on my computer, phone or TV's I have no issues at all.  I work from home and go to school online and never have an issue with either.  When I try to play on my PS5 is when all the issues come up.  The router does help because there is no rubberbanding and less lag but it still doesn't take the lag away.  I don't know what else to do at this point other than sell my PS5.  I am way past the return window to get my money back for the router since it was purchased in August of 2020..  It worked well since I got the PS5 in August of this year up until a few weeks ago when these issues arised.

Message 52 of 65
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

How does the experience compare playing on wired vs. playing on Wi-Fi? Have you tried replacing the ethernet cable from the PS5 to the XR?

Message 53 of 65
Mike40
Apprentice

I've haven't tried on WIFI in a few years because everything and everybody always says to play hardlined.  I can try that tonight though and see what happens.

I did try 3-4 different ethernet cables that I had around the house but I don't think that is the issue because I have the same speed issue on my computer.

I bought a bunch of Cat6e ethernet cables 4 years ago.  Should I replace all my ethernet cables and get Cat7 or Cat8?

I did talk to Comcast yesterday and they said there was some type of outage (doesn't look like it has been fixed yet though).  They "fixed" something though because speedtest.net and the Comcast speed test match up at around 600 down and 40 up which they never have.  That is still half the download that I pay for though.  When I run the auto-detect feature in Congestion control it won't even hit 500 down but it does always show around 40 up.  I just manually set it for 700 down and 50 up.

Message 54 of 65
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK, it may be worth trying for the sake of experimentation!

I don't think you need to replace your cables, CAT6E is more than enough.

If you connect directly to the Comcast modem, do you get your full speeds?

Message 55 of 65
Mike40
Apprentice

I tried the WIFI last night and it was the same.

When I connected the Comcast modem I was having the same issues so I just returned it so I didn't have to pay for it.  They told me to try their modem since they can troubleshoot that but not your stuff.

I didn't have a chance to call them last night so when I get off work I will call them again.

Message 56 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you still have this modem? If so,

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.

Be sure to speed test 1 wired PC directly to the back of the modem with out the router connected to check speeds.

Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

You may want to rent the ISP modem for a month or so to test to see if problems are seen with the ISP modem. IF so, then you can have them correct the problems, then maybe put the CM1200 back online. The CM1200 is a good modem. I enjoy mine when I have it online. 

@Mike40 wrote:

Two questions:

So should I have a tech come out from Comcast since I'm not getting what I'm paying for?  I have gig internet but I'm only getting 500-600 through the router/modem. 

I have a CM1200 modem and the XR500 router.  They are both able to handle that speed correct?

Message 57 of 65
Mike40
Apprentice

I returned their modem on Saturday since it didn't work.

I'm still waiting on Comcast to fix the issue with the speed.  Once I get a response from them I will message you back.

I bought six of these cables about four years ago from Wal-Mart.  Are these sufficient or do you have another suggestion?  I don't shop at Wal-Mart anymore but I'm open to options from any other company.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Link-Depot-Cat-6e-Cable/15074925

Message 58 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't buy anything from Walmart if I can help it. I don't know how well there cables are made. Anything is possible. 

Also there no such CAT6e. There is CAT5, CAT5e, CAT6 and CAT6A. 

I buy from places like monoprice and deepsurplus.

RG6 coax cable is different. 

https://www.circuitsathome.com/rg6-coaxial-cable/

If you still have the CM1200, please visit the cable modem forum and we can give you some help there as well. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-cable-modems-routers

Ya, the ISP needs to ensure the signal line up to the modem is GOOD and IS configured correctly on there system.

@Mike40 wrote:

I returned their modem on Saturday since it didn't work.

I'm still waiting on Comcast to fix the issue with the speed.  Once I get a response from them I will message you back.

I bought six of these cables about four years ago from Wal-Mart.  Are these sufficient or do you have another suggestion?  I don't shop at Wal-Mart anymore but I'm open to options from any other company.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Link-Depot-Cat-6e-Cable/15074925

Message 59 of 65
Mike40
Apprentice

I just upgraded from the CM700 to the CM1200 modem on Saturday.  

Comcast is coming out tomorrow after I get off work to see what is going on.

I was looking on Amazon (I forgot I had a gift card from my birthday lol).  Are either one of these good to use or should I just keep using the same cables I currently use?

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Ethernet-Braided-1000Mbps-Compatible/dp/B086H88T9W/ref=sr_1_3?keywords...

https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Weatherproof-Internet-Network-Gigabit/dp/B0818T3XR5/ref=sr_1_7_sspa?...

Message 60 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Either one. The braided ones are nice. 

Message 61 of 65
Mike40
Apprentice

Comcast came today and they ran a test from the coaxial and it was getting 1200 down and 96 up.  It's still very odd to me that I am getting almost exactly half of that.  I get around 600 down and around 40 up.  The tech said there is nothing else they can do but changing the ethernet cord might work.  I just purchased the braided cables from Amazon and they are supposed to arrive on Monday 12/20/21.  Once I change the cables, reset the modem and router I will respond back to this.

Thanks again everybody for the assistance.

Message 62 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to test with a wired PC connected directly to the modem first. With out the router online. 

@Mike40 wrote:

Comcast came today and they ran a test from the coaxial and it was getting 1200 down and 96 up.  It's still very odd to me that I am getting almost exactly half of that.  I get around 600 down and around 40 up.  The tech said there is nothing else they can do but changing the ethernet cord might work.  I just purchased the braided cables from Amazon and they are supposed to arrive on Monday 12/20/21.  Once I change the cables, reset the modem and router I will respond back to this.

Thanks again everybody for the assistance.

Message 63 of 65
Mike40
Apprentice

Sorry it took me so long to respond back.  The new ethernet cords didn't help so after two techs came out and couldn't help now a supervisor is supposed to be contacting me.

I have an odd question that I'm not sure if you could assist with.  The little black piece on the back of the CM1200 modem that protects the other ethernet ports is gone.  The Comcast tech took it off and now it is gone.  Is that a piece that I could get from you guys or is there something else I could use to protect the port from getting dust in there since I will never use it?

Message 64 of 65
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You'd need to ask Netgear directly about that but I doubt it's something they would sell directly
Message 65 of 65
Discussion stats
  • 64 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7