× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 DHCP Lease renewal causes connection drop

sno
Guide
Guide

XR500 DHCP Lease renewal causes connection drop

Hello, my lease renews every 24 hours, at which time I lose connection for about 30 seconds even though my ip never changes.  Is there a resolution for this issue?  My other Nighthawk R7000 router doesn't have this problem, lease renews without any connection loss.

Firmware versions I have tried:

XR500-V2.3.2.40.img

XR500-V2.3.2.56.img

XR500-V2.3.2.104-DumaOS3.0-Beta.img

Currently running: 2.3.2.40

Setting a static ip is not an option.

Thanks,

Jordan

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
sno
Guide
Guide

Reporting back as I said I would, downgrading to firmware version 2.3.2.22 fixed my DHCP lease renewal connection drop issue for anyone that's having the same issue I recommend trying this.

Cheers

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 14

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Why can you not set a static IP, are you using a pure modem? The NG lead for the XR500 has provided a debug firmware and instructions on what to do should you encounter the issue to help them resolve it: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-DHCP-issue/m-p/2023223/highlight...
Message 2 of 14
sno
Guide
Guide

The connection drop problem is with the WAN, not the LAN.  The drop happens when the dhcp lease renews with my ISP.  I still have connections with my NAS via LAN when this happens so it's a WAN issue.

My ISP doesn't allow me to set a static ip on the WAN without paying for a business line.

Plus, setting a static IP isn't a fix, It's a workaround.  I shouldn't have to do that.  Dropping the connection everytime the WAN lease is renewed is ludicrous.  

Thanks for the link to that thread, I'll try to provide some logs.  I've searched the forums and see threads going back two years for this problem.  They are just now trying to address this major issue?  /rolls eyes

Jordan

Message 3 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you're not using a pure modem but it is a modem/router then on the interface for that you can give the XR a static IP which would resolve the issue and you don't need to pay anything. I've been pushing for the issue to be resolved so I'm hopeful if they get some useful information they can get it sorted sooner.
Message 4 of 14
sno
Guide
Guide

It's a pure modem, I don't have the option to do that.

I could go to walmart and buy a $30 router, set a static ip to this piece of **bleep** $300 dollar router so it can function.

Message 5 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's entirely up to you, it should help but I can't guarantee it. They are looking into it so I'm hopeful in the new year they'll be able to deploy a fix at some point provided they have enough data.
Message 6 of 14
sno
Guide
Guide

I read on another thread that everything below firmware 2.3.2.22 doesn't have this issue so giving 2.3.2.22 a try now, it's been three days and haven't had any connection drops when the dhcp lease is renewed.  I'll report back after week if it resolved the problem.  This is still not a fix though, I'm running older firmware that doesn't have vulnerability fixes.

Message 7 of 14
sno
Guide
Guide

Reporting back as I said I would, downgrading to firmware version 2.3.2.22 fixed my DHCP lease renewal connection drop issue for anyone that's having the same issue I recommend trying this.

Cheers

Message 8 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the feedback, Netgear are collecting data from users having the issue so hopefully that will be fixed shortly.
Message 9 of 14
sno
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the response, instead of looking at user data, they may want to look at what was changed from 2.3.2.22 to 2.3.2.32.  User data from alot of the later versions may not be so helpful due to the amount of changes made beyond that version. Whatever this bug is happened with the .32 update and propagated all the way up through beta.

.22 to .32 is an incremental update, it's probably something small that happened.

That's my 2 cents, thanks again.

Message 10 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thank you for the input, I've passed that onto Tim as well.
Message 11 of 14
sno
Guide
Guide

Thanks, if you hear of a resolution I would appreciate a response to this thread.  I would like to get off of this firmware version at some point.

I appreciate you responding and escalating the issue.

-Jordan

Message 12 of 14
sno
Guide
Guide

What's this? I can't forward port 80?  No, remote management is 8443. 

https://imgur.com/a/k8KoFH9

Message 13 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Port 80 is required for web browsing by all devices so it's likely UPnP even if it's not showing has opened this for devices. It is not a good idea to port forward 80 either as it could negatively impact other devices.
Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7