× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 DHCP issue

Delx
Apprentice

Yup it workewd for about 2 weeks then same issues

Message 151 of 208
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm talking with the NG lead at the moment regarding this, previously I was relying on others to pass the details on so hopefully I can work with him to try and get this sorted asap.
Message 152 of 208
Delx
Apprentice

Just factory reset the router and still same problem

Message 153 of 208
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The only thing I can suggest really is to use TFTP to upgrade then reset as that will give you the freshest install possible and hopefully mitigate any issues.
Message 154 of 208
Delx
Apprentice

any further updates? it def is a RAM problem i think

Message 155 of 208
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No updates at the moment, still trying to converse with NG on it.
Message 156 of 208
tekonsite
Apprentice

I am having the same issue now every day and it is frustrating. When will Netgear resolve this issue?
Message 157 of 208
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm still working on that, have you tried any of the suggestions so far?
Message 158 of 208
tekonsite
Apprentice

I am going to try the new beta firmware. Has that been known to fix these dhcp issues or has that not been implemented yet? I am currently on the latest firmware .66. You mentioned that some customers have had success with .40 and .32 firmware. What do you recommend?
Message 159 of 208
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The latest beta build we released just this last week I haven't seen many if any reports of disconnects so I'd start there first.
Message 160 of 208
tekonsite
Apprentice

I'm trying the latest beta right now. So far so good as it was a clean install. I also did a factory reset right after confirming install was successfull. I will keep you up to date.
Message 161 of 208
tekonsite
Apprentice

Looks like the same issue, as the internet was again out this morning at 6am. As soon as I power cycle the XR500 the internet is back up. Very frustrating and disappointed with this product and that it is a very expensive router. I expect the most basic functionality of DHCP to work correctly. There looks to be an issue when the lease expires. Please keep pushing developers to fix this. I have read some of the forums and this issue has been going on for over a year. Customers are going to get fed up with this and purchase products from other brands. Reliability is extremely important for your brand at Netgear. If word gets out to youtube influences and the media it will not be good for Netgear...
Message 162 of 208
Delx
Apprentice

It really is ridiculous for a top of the line router.

I have found that disabling 5ghz wifi seems to improve the ram usage on the router with less crashes.

Message 163 of 208
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the information and sorry to hear it is still occurring. I've linked the entire topic to the XR500 lead so hopefully we'll make some headway. Set static/reserved IPs where you can for devices and the router itself as this may help.
Message 164 of 208
BPowell
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser If you recall from further up in this thread I started, this doesn't work. Static/Reserved IPS are still subject to issues when the DHCP lease time expires. This happens even if you set the IPs to outside the DHCP range.

I gave up on Netgear and this router after waiting for nearly a year for a firmware update. The router is currently at the garbage dump. The XR500 was the first Netgear router I've purchased, but it will be my last until it can be proven that Netgear is more mindful of basic functionality. The Asus RT-AX88U blows this router out of the water both hardware and firmware wise.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 165 of 208
tekonsite
Apprentice

Thanks for your support Netduma-Fraser. I know you are trying to help and I see you have the difficult job of responding to every question on this forum related to XR500. It is in Netgears best interest to get a fix for this as soon as possible. I will be reaching out to youtube influencers that have showcased this model and see what they say. Setting ip reservations for all my devices on my home network is not a feasible solution. I will try a few things you suggested with the gateway static ip and have a look at my ISP modem / router (bridged). The main issue I have observered is the XR500 router drops dhcp connection to the Arris ISP modem. The Arris ISP modem has a set dhcp lease of 11h 59min. I am not sure why the XR500 will not reconnect once the lease expires. Perhaps this info will help the developers. Once the XR500 reboots it establishes a new connection with the Arris ISP modem.
Message 166 of 208
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@BPowell the one most likely to help is to set a static IP for the router itself as I believe part of the problem is when the ISP modem/router renews its lease that the XR has trouble re-establishing the connection.

@tekonsite thanks for the understanding. That's partly my theory as well If you take that out of bridge mode and set the IP and use it in the DMZ then it may resolve the issue
Message 167 of 208
tekonsite
Apprentice

Update: So far the XR500 has not lost DHCP settings from Arris ISP Modem. This is is what I did...
1. Power cycled the Arris Modem
2. Power cycled XR500
3. Logged into both to check, all good
4. When logged into Arris Modem in bridge mode I noticed the 4 ports have energy efficiency turned on. I turned that off on the port the XR500 is plugged into.
5. DHCP has been stable so far for two days now.
I will further update at the end of the week.
Message 168 of 208
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@tekonsite thanks for posting what works for you, fingers crossed it continues that way.
Message 169 of 208
tekonsite
Apprentice

Just wanted to confirm the new .108 beta resolves the dhcp issues for my XR500.

Message 170 of 208
TimChang
NETGEAR Employee

Hi,

Sorry been late to feedback the DHCP issue you have now.

Please kindly install this debug firmware - https://ntgr-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/tichang_netgear_com/Ecek7S3fUjZHmGi11s60rNQB1eZUv5HHh-...

And follow the steps to get the debug logs for our analysis if you still can see the issue.

1. Plugin a USB device to DUT. Open debug page: http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm
  2. Select the checkbox “Enable WAN/LAN Packet Capture”.
  3. Choose “USB Device” in store location.
  4. Click "Start Capture" button.
  5. Once issue occurs, press the Button “Save debug log”.
  6. Send the log to us.

Please make sure in the capture file in \\192.168.1.1\USB_Storage\Capture, there are lan.pcap and wan.pcap file inside.

I can see some users disable the power saving in the ISP modem, this is a good approach to idenify the issue. The Ethernet switch chipset may have some issue to handle the power saving mode.

Message 171 of 208
tekonsite
Apprentice

I have had the router now crash two times this week.  Today it was very strange, I turned on my Galaxy Note 20 and the internet looked to be fine and then all of a sudden the XR500 crashed.  No internet, so I rebooted the XR500 and the internet was back op again.  I am hoping the crashes are less frequent but this is really getting rediculous.  I will wait again for a new update to the beta firmware as it looks like there will be no further updates after .66.

Message 172 of 208
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you could upgrade to the firmware above and do the capture then that will help the NG to narrow down the issue and provide a fix.
Message 173 of 208
tekonsite
Apprentice

Sorry, I have been very busy and have not had a chance to perform the firmware flash.  I am still having issues as it does disconnect every couple of days.  I will do this after the holidays.

Message 174 of 208
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@tekonsite no worries, let us know how it goes once you've managed to upgrade. Happy holidays!
Message 175 of 208
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7