× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 DHCP issue

tekonsite
Apprentice

Yesterday the connection dropped three times in one day. A reboot fixes the connection due to dhcp disconnect from my ISP modem. I will try to load the firmware you gave me in this thread on Monday.
Message 176 of 208
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That would be great thanks, make sure to follow the instructions for getting the information needed by the devs.
Message 177 of 208
tekonsite
Apprentice

I have reviewed the instructions and will provide an update sometime next week.
Message 178 of 208
tekonsite
Apprentice

I have been doing some research on this issue and Netgear is having this DHCP issue on other model routers. What is going on and why is this not more of a priority?
Message 179 of 208
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I can't speak for there other routers but I've been pushing them heavily for the XR routers, if they get enough information maybe that will help them fix all the affected routers.
Message 180 of 208
tekonsite
Apprentice

Just wanted to add that I turned off QOS and I haven't had a disconnect since and it has been over a week. Possible issue is related to QOS with DHCP.
Message 181 of 208
tekonsite
Apprentice

I think more and more people need to express their experiences with Netgear and the XR series routers like @mrbuckweet and @lamcity. I think if we keep expressing the issues on this forum they will eventually take notice. I also recommend you express your opinions on social media sites (Twitter, Instagram and Facebook) like @nighthawkprogaming, @netgear, @netduma. Any site that advertises the XR500 and XR700 series Nighthawk routers. If everyone on this forum starts to add their stories about the horrible firmware experiences and lack of support the word will get out and they will take notice. As customers we should not sit idle and wait for large companies like Netgear to take our money and provide a poor product. It is not @Netduma-Frasers fault, as he has expressed he is trying to get the devs to take notice. Let's get the word out to social media and see if Netgear steps up and claims accountability of their products and fixes these issues that has been going on since 2018.
Message 182 of 208
TimChang
NETGEAR Employee

@tekonsite What do you mean the "turn off QoS"? Do you check the "Disable QoS" from Congestion control menu?

@Netduma-Fraser If disabling QoS can solve the issue, still need your team's effort to look into any iptables issue to possible block the DHCP packets.

Message 183 of 208
TimChang
NETGEAR Employee

@tekonsite We are looking the DHCP issue, but unfortunately we can't reproduce it in our lab. We need the debug logs to further look into the issue. Please help us to collect the logs, we will look into it and find out the root casue. Thanks for your comments.

Message 184 of 208
tekonsite
Apprentice

I can say that this is definitely related to QOS. Since I have selected "Never" under Congestion Control from "Auto Enable" I am yet to have a DHCP disconnect. I was very surprised to say that it has been stable for almost 10 days without a reboot.
Message 185 of 208
TimChang
NETGEAR Employee

@tekonsite Thanks for this information. This is the Netduma feature, i need Fraser to comment on it.

@Netduma-Fraser Would you help to take a look of this case of the DHCP issue?

Message 186 of 208
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I have not seen it be specifically related to QoS in the past but I'll get people to test it.
Message 187 of 208
Delx
Apprentice

I will this now see if it helps.

My disconnects are back since I enabled smart connect? I was only using 2.4gz wifi and it had been fine for weeks. only thing changed is have enabled smart connect and set up the ex7700 extender that came with the router?

Message 188 of 208
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did you get any disconnects from wired devices? Please do try that, would be interested to know the results.
Message 189 of 208
Delx
Apprentice

No only have 1 wired pc and thats been fine

Message 190 of 208
tekonsite
Apprentice

@Delix, since you have been only using 2.4Ghz in the recent past and switched to smart connect, check to see if your wireless devices can connect to 5Ghz. Also check if they are compatible with IEEE 802.11k, 802.11r and 802.11v standards that let clients roam more seamlessly from access point (AP) to AP within the same network. That is what Smart Connect is along with a single ssid for all AP radios. The XR500 has two radios and the EX7700 has 3 radios. Hope that helps as I have the XR500 and 3 EX7700 Access points.
Message 191 of 208
Delx
Apprentice

Def an issue with smart connect, dont get a full day without some devices coming up authentication error.

Have now turned smart connect off and 5ghz wifi. only using 2.4ghz!!

Message 192 of 208
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm not sure if it's specifically related to Smart Connect - that's probably some devices not switching properly between 2.4/5GHz when using one SSID. There is an issue with DHCP lease I believe and NG are looking at it right now.
Message 193 of 208
Delx
Apprentice

Def Smart connect the devices that have issues are mostly phones and we have the lastest phones Samsung S20+ so dont see why they dont work

Message 194 of 208
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@Delx do you notice it when using the beta at all?
Message 195 of 208
Delx
Apprentice

Yes I am using the latest beta
Message 196 of 208
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay could you follow the information here please and provide the requested info to Tim when it happens? https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/New-Firmware-v2-3-2-108-XR500/m-p/2...
Message 197 of 208
Delx
Apprentice

still problems with ip!

Message 198 of 208
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@Delx please provide the entire debug log including LAN/WAN capture and Private Message @TimChang when you have it
Message 199 of 208
Delx
Apprentice

how do I upload on pm?

Message 200 of 208
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7