× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 DHCP lease change

Retired_Member
Not applicable

XR500 DHCP lease change

Hi,

I’ve been having disconnection issues with my new XR500 router on my Xbox. At least once a day I get disconnected from Xbox Live for a split second and then reconnects again. According to the logs in the router it says that a DHCP lease change occurred.

My Xbox one X is in energy saving mode, I’ve given the router a static WAN IP and DNS servers, made sure the router hands out static IP addresses to all my devices and made the DHCP IP pool smaller (.100 to .200).

My firmware version is V2.3.2.40.

Is there anything else I can do? I’m on the brink of returning this router since I am still in my return period.

Kind regards,

Wesley

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

If you go to Settings > Monitoring > Connection Status, it should tell you when your internet connection lease renews. Maybe that will renew at just the wrong time? Try renewing it manually from this screen to move the expiry time to something more convinient.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Remove the static IP address for the WAN on the XR500. Use Dynamic DHCP. 

Message 2 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for replying.

Like I said in my opening post, my current firmware version is V2.3.2.40.

There is no modem between my router, the fiber connection comes into my house, goes through what my provider says is a “media converter” which translates the signal into something I can use. I live in the Netherlands and my provider is KPN.

What is it exactly that you mean when you speak of Dynamic DHCP? I tried to find out what that means but I can’t find anything.

Kind regards,

Wesley

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

How is the xbox connected? Wireless or wired.

After turning on the xbox. Go in and set a IP address reservation ON the router for the xbox. Try .199 for the xbox. Save setting and apply. While the router applies the change. Hold the power button ON the xbox until it turns OFF. 

Reboot the router. 

After the router is ready, power ON the xbox. Check networking and NAT status. 

Message 4 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

When trying to implement your steps I also changed the WAN IP from static to automatic, this completely broke my connection and now the internet light on the router won’t turn on no matter what. I’m sending this thing back first thing in the morning.
Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried a factory reset and then walk thru the setup wizard? 

Message 6 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes I have, I even hooked up the router from my ISP but my internet was so broken that after calling them and asking what they could do, all they could do was send a mechanic. All I changed was the WAN IP from static to automatic. I already packed the XR500 up. Never again.
Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When you initially setup the router did you have a specific WAN IP/DNS that you had to enter? I.e. would you have had to set it statically for any router you connected? If so it's not the router's fault that it couldn't obtain this automatically. Re-enter the static information and the internet will return.

How is the internet connected, via ethernet or WiFi? Are you using the Geo-Filter for the Xbox?
Message 9 of 16
Smiley3303
Star

I actually have started having this issue too. I am not returning mine though. Is there a way to change the lease time. Mine has been booting me from EA servers about 11:38pm central each night.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 10 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Smiley, could you try this firmware and see if it resolves your issue please: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/28523-new-xr500-hotfix-firmware-for-drop-outs/
Message 11 of 16
Smiley3303
Star

I tried the update. It didn’t work. Instead of my router renewing the lease at around 11:38 or whatever it was before now it does it at 10:38 instead. I might not have the time exact but this sucks. Paid a lot of money for a good router and this thing has now become unusable. I am pissed about it honestly.
Message 12 of 16
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Could you try giving your Xbox a static IP address from the router?

Message 13 of 16
Smiley3303
Star

I attempted to use a static ip and unfortunately the results were the same. 10:49pm central and connection interrupted. It also cut out WiFi for a short time.

Why not just give the user options to adjust lease time? I don’t understand why a router designed for people passionate about gaming and connectivity is lacking such a simple setting. Have I missed the place where this can be set? If not what is the reason for such an oversight? I will revert back to the official release firmware as this version is worse than the last.
Message 14 of 16
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

If you go to Settings > Monitoring > Connection Status, it should tell you when your internet connection lease renews. Maybe that will renew at just the wrong time? Try renewing it manually from this screen to move the expiry time to something more convinient.

Message 15 of 16
Smiley3303
Star

That is good advice.

I will set it to renew in the middle of the night maybe around 3am then I won’t have to worry about it anymore. Thank you.
Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7