× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Device Manager issues

ErwinZ
Tutor

XR500 Device Manager issues

Gents,

I'm experiencing odd things with the Device Manager view of the XR500:

1. Sometimes when I try to select a device, from either the Device table or the Device tree I get the error : TypeError: undefined is not an object (evaluating 'a._id=null')

2. The information in the Device table is not always consistent with Device Settings that are visible after selecting the device. For example in the Device table the IP address of a device is given as N/A, while in the Device Settings window the right IP address is given.

Another example is a device that has in the Device table the Connection Status Offline, but when trying to delete the device I get the error “Error: Unable to delete device because it is online.”

3. I want to delete a device from the Device table list. The device itself has been switched off for more than an hour, but the XR500 is still showing connection status Online, and as a result the device cann't be deleted.

Does anyone has suggestions to solve these issues, or has any workarounds? 

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Try a different browser like FF or Opera.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed? 

@ErwinZ wrote:

Gents,

I'm experiencing odd things with the Device Manager view of the XR500:

1. Sometimes when I try to select a device, from either the Device table or the Device tree I get the error : TypeError: undefined is not an object (evaluating 'a._id=null')

2. The information in the Device table is not always consistent with Device Settings that are visible after selecting the device. For example in the Device table the IP address of a device is given as N/A, while in the Device Settings window the right IP address is given.

Another example is a device that has in the Device table the Connection Status Offline, but when trying to delete the device I get the error “Error: Unable to delete device because it is online.”

3. I want to delete a device from the Device table list. The device itself has been switched off for more than an hour, but the XR500 is still showing connection status Online, and as a result the device cann't be deleted.

Does anyone has suggestions to solve these issues, or has any workarounds? 

Message 2 of 30
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

1. As above, what web browser are you using? Do you see this issue in Google Chrome?
2/3. I'm wondering if the browser isn't updating the information on the view that's not shown properly, do you observe the same behaviour on Chrome? Is the device in a standby/rest mode? If so packets every so often will be transmitted, keeping the connection alive so you can't delete it.
Message 3 of 30
ErwinZ
Tutor

Gents,

Up to now I was using Safari on a Mac, but today I tested both Firefox and Chrome (all running on Mojava). All three browsers show exactly the same behaviour. So I'm afraid it has to do with some issues in DumaOS.

Both turning off the power, and removing the ethernet cable of my Airport Express still didn't result in getting it in the "Offline" status.

I'm a little reluctant to reboot the XR500. I gave all devices readable names, and I'm not sure if this information will be preserved after a reboot.

Message 4 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Names should persist during a reboot. 

Message 5 of 30
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The names will save as long as you saved them on the device manager, which you will have if the show up. I would also suggest doing a back up in Settings > Administration that you could restore from in future if necessary.
Message 6 of 30
ErwinZ
Tutor

I rebooted the XR500, and indeed the names given to the devices were still there. Unfortunately the reboot didn't solve the issues I mentioned before. On the other hand, the reboot did clean up the device list, something that I was trying to do manually.

Lets wait for a firmware update that solves the issues.

Message 7 of 30
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay great, let us know if you have any other issues and when the next firmware releases if it resolves it.
Message 8 of 30
ZurkeyDurkey
Guide

Piggybacking on a previous reply. If you factory reset the router, but have created a backup settings file, will device names backed up, as well?
Message 9 of 30
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

I don't think so no, but I'm not 100% on this.

Message 10 of 30
ZurkeyDurkey
Guide

I went ahead and tried it. It doesn't. 😞

Message 11 of 30
Diabhalta
Star

Sorry for the thread necro but I'm having the same issue (amongst other's post ISP change!). Is there any fix to this, I'm trying to troubleshoot my new Sonos setup using Device Manager for information and it keeps giving stale information.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 12 of 30
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

I assume you've tried all of the steps that were suggested earlier in the thread? Restarting, resetting if neccersary. There hasn't been any firmware updates since then but one is in final testing.

Message 13 of 30
Diabhalta
Star

Hi Alex,

Thank you, I did indeed reset and reboot. I think potentially the issue could be my switch as I've come to understand it may be having end of life issues. Have a new one arriving tomorrow and hopefully that will help things.

With respect to my Sonos issue I have two potential avenues to troubleshoot i) setup a guest wifi on 2.4 for the Sonos and ii) Try to have my XR500 handling VLAN ID instead of the DM200 as I've heard this can help with Sonos. Not sure how I go about doing that but will be some fun for this evening!

Best,

Paul

Message 14 of 30
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's good to hear, do let us know! I would advise against the router handling VLAN if possible as it's not entirely optimised with QoS. Also try just disabling QoS but more specifically Traffic Prioritization as it could be dropping Sonos packets potentially.
Message 15 of 30
Diabhalta
Star

Thanks! Thing is, I have dm200 and xr500 working nicely with zero settings on dm200, just modem mode and vlan passthrough. Xr500 handling everything.
If I want to pass vlan handling to dm200 what would I do? Enable router mode, enter vlan id and nothing else, then back to modem mode?
I found I had problems when adding pppoe login details on router mode then flipping to modem?
Message 16 of 30
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I don't think you'd be able to have it in modem mode if it wasn't passing through VLAN. You would probably have to keep it in router mode. Yes the settings will be overridden by going back to modem mode. Perhaps best to use router mode on dm200 for VLAN and PPPoE then put the XR500 in its DMZ.
Message 17 of 30
Diabhalta
Star

Well it definitely works as had it that way last few months. However just moved to new house with a switch, heatmiser and sonos and having a nightmare setting up!

Excuse my ignorance but why is running dm200 as router and xr500 in dmz better? Any pro's and con's versus modem (with vlan id set) or modem (with vlan passthrough) ? Have tried both and they work but dont seem to play nice with others!
Message 18 of 30
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It may be better in that the XR500 doesn't deal with VLAN at all as it can cause issues with QoS at the moment. Has the guest WiFi worked?
Message 19 of 30
Diabhalta
Star

Actually looking at manual and settings, I dont see any DMZ option in the DM200.

No luck with guest wifi but I'm thinking I potentially fail at Sonos in all environments!!!
Message 20 of 30
Diabhalta
Star

Also, reading a thread here with someome with exact same issues and it was fault with dm200. He even had same thing as I am seeing where during setup the speed test measures download correctly but upload is 1000mbs (should be 15mbs)
Message 21 of 30
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In that case would you be able to try a different modem and see if the issue is still present?
Message 22 of 30
Diabhalta
Star

Thanks Fraser, I think I'm giving up! I plugged in my Draytek and boom, everything works with zero setup. So confused and will miss the QoS and gaming features!

Message 23 of 30
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can you not use the draytek with the XR500 at all?
Message 24 of 30
Diabhalta
Star

Yeah I will try that in the next few days when I have regained my troubleshooting energy! Will let you know how it goes, thanks so much for the help!
Message 25 of 30
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7