× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Device manager shows multiply wired devices

XR500 Device manager shows multiply wired devices

Capture 4.JPGso here is my device manager. I have the XR500 in the basement wifi disabled. the R8000 in the family room in AP mode. Then i have the X4 upstairs. I am curious why the device manageer shows the connections from the r8000 and x4 as wired. also does having a device type effect the usage of it? like i have a nest what should that be set as in device type? the OS just puts it as a computer which it is clearly not. does anyone have a list of what devices are best set aa a type?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 Device manager shows multiply wired devices

Device Type only makes a difference when it has been classed as a console. It affects the way that the Geo-Filter & Traffic Prioritization treats it.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

If your R8000 is in AP mode and WIRED to the XR router, then anything connecting to the R8000 gets detected as WIRED since the R8000 is WIRED to the XR router. 

Message 2 of 6
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

The Device Manager sees it as wired because the R8000 is wired into it. There's no real way around this, but maybe we could allow users to configure this?

As for the misnamed devices, the default type is Computer if we don't recognise it. We try to auto-recognise every connected device, but we don't catch them all. So simplest thing to do is click on the device and change the type and give it a name of your choosing.

Message 3 of 6

I was wondering if some things are better then others. Like I have a Nividia sheild for example. What would you put that as in the devicemanager? Does putting it as let’s say a tv make it less faster then a tablet? I am just curious what would be the best. It’s just used for streaming. You understand what I am asking.
Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Put it as a Streaming device. 

@EurynomeStolas wrote:
I was wondering if some things are better then others. Like I have a Nividia sheild for example. What would you put that as in the devicemanager? Does putting it as let’s say a tv make it less faster then a tablet? I am just curious what would be the best. It’s just used for streaming. You understand what I am asking.

Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Device Type only makes a difference when it has been classed as a console. It affects the way that the Geo-Filter & Traffic Prioritization treats it.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7