× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Disconnects on lease expiration from xfinity gateway in bridge mode

Skriker
Tutor

XR500 Disconnects on lease expiration from xfinity gateway in bridge mode

Question: The XR500 disconnects all devices when the WAN lease is renewed or static IP's are assigned. Is this just the way the product is designed? Do I need to buy a different router to fix this issue? What is the recommendation from the community here?

Background: I recently switched from AT&T to xfinity for internet service. Since I use the amazing XR500 to manage bandwidth for all the gamers and video streamers in the house, I had the gateway configured to bridge mode to avoid double NATing and other overhead that might degrade service. After this configuration was implemented, I noticed intermittent disconnects in games, streaming and MS Teams calls.

After some monitoring and investigations, I discoved that every disconnect event aligned exactly with a lease renewal event on the XR500. The xfinity lease is set to two hours so I get disconnects every hour. Also anytime I assign a static IP address in the LAN configuration, all devices are disconnected. This leads me to believe that when the routing table in the router is updated, it disconnects all devices. 

I have contacted xfinity and they said they might be able to increase the lease time, but ultimately referred me to have a static IP address with the Comcast Business organization. I can only assume this will cost big bucks and honestly should not be necessary. 

Request: Based on other posts in this forum it appears this is a typical problem, but the only solution I've seen is to go with a different router. I'd rather not do that as I'm very happy with the router aside from this new issue. If I do buy a different router, I'd want to make sure that I don't have this problem again, so I'd want to make sure the new router won't have this issue. Looking for recommendations.

Gateway: xFi Advanced Gateway TG3482G (in bridged mode)

Router: Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500

Router firmware: 

V2.3.2.56

DumaOS: A7Legit

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Skriker
Tutor

.40 alone did not resolve my issue, but this hotfixed image from DumaOS sure did. 

V2.3.2.40-C424a

Source: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/28523-new-xr500-hotfix-firmware-for-drop-outs/

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
zmon
Guide

See my post about the topic: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/Ethernet-randomly-disconnects-for-a-fe...

Roll back to the .40 firmware and see if that does anything for you. So far, I'm going on about 20 hours now with no drop.

Message 2 of 5
Skriker
Tutor

I have reverted to .40. I'll report back on the result.

Message 3 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. It is something we are aware of and trying to resolve. It's unfortunate the Xfinity lease is so short as otherwise it would only happen once per day which is when the XR renews the lease. Downgrading is a good idea, if that doesn't work then if you have a spare router you could put between the gateway and XR then put the XR in that routers DMZ then that may resolve it.
Message 4 of 5
Skriker
Tutor

.40 alone did not resolve my issue, but this hotfixed image from DumaOS sure did. 

V2.3.2.40-C424a

Source: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/28523-new-xr500-hotfix-firmware-for-drop-outs/

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7