× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Disney Circle?

Tiberious_ST
Aspirant

XR500 Disney Circle?

I bought one of these last year to replace my old R7000 that keeps ‘going away’ and needing to be rebooted for no apparent reason. Unfortunately I have a teen with discretion problems so I need my parental controls. I like Disney Circle (on the old router) as it’s easy to maintain. Unfortunately there isn’t ANY parental controls for this new and expensive router. Is this going to be added at some point? I’m a bit tired of it collecting dust.

Tib
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 Disney Circle?

I'm not aware if circle would come to the router but it is likely that some form of parental control will make its way to the router at some point. What parental control features are you interested in specifically? What was it about circle that you found easy to maintain?
Message 2 of 7
Tiberious_ST
Aspirant

Thanks, for as long as this model’s been out I’m surprised that there isn’t any firm plan yet. The reason I like Circle is that it makes grouping devices by category easy. The GUI makes management of my devices easy and straightforward. New devices are easy to spot and fall into a somewhat restricted group by default. It lacks the granular control that I’d like for rare circumstances, but it’s fast and easy which is pretty important. I don’t want to waste a ton of time managing (let alone setting up) the Parental Controls, I bought the router for gaming after all!
Message 3 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great thanks for the feedback, I've passed this on to our team to put in our ideas list!

I realise it isn't exactly what you want but you can block devices access to the internet manually on the Device Manager and also in Settings you can schedule times where the internet turns off. You could use DDNS as well for some further level of parental control.
Message 4 of 7
Tiberious_ST
Aspirant

Thanks and you are right that isn’t much of a solution :). Also it’s a huge pain in the butt that I don’t want to deal with. Please implement something in a timely manner (too late?) as your customers shouldn’t have to a valued function due to upgrading to a premium router.
Thanks again,
Tib
Message 5 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As primarily a gaming router I am sure you can understand that it wasn't our first priority but we do realise that this is something people want.
Message 6 of 7
Tiberious_ST
Aspirant

Yeah, I suppose most gamers don’t have families....
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7