× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500, Ethernet connection stops while WiFi continues to work.

nevea2be
Guide

XR500, Ethernet connection stops while WiFi continues to work.

For some reason on my router the ethernet ports just stop working from time to time and the only fix is to reboot it. I have the latest firmware V2.3.2.56 and have tried resetting everything but nothing seems to help. Out my ports I have an Apple TV which will stop playing in the middle of a movie. A Roku player which will just stop loading YouTube video's and my computer. My WiFi seems to not drop at all. 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would suggest reinstalling the firmware using TFTP and then performing a factory reset and see if it is more stable then. Doing so by TFTP bypasses the boot process and so can help if there are any issues there. https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would suggest reinstalling the firmware using TFTP and then performing a factory reset and see if it is more stable then. Doing so by TFTP bypasses the boot process and so can help if there are any issues there. https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

Message 2 of 8
nevea2be
Guide

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Message 3 of 8
nevea2be
Guide

OK so I tried following the link and on part B it says "Right-click Ethernet and select Properties." but in my windows 10 it just says "Pin to Start". Under status it has Ethernet and below that properties is listed so I tried clicking on that and then IP Assignment Edit, Manuel, IV4P to on and putting in the three ip's it has listed on the help page but it comes up as "Can't save IP settings. Check one or more IP settings and try again." note that on that page there are two empty spots for Preferred and Alternate DNS that I leave blank. 

Note that even skipping the above and going to CMD says my cd desktop prompt is invalid. I do have only the one cable connected to my computer from my router. 

Message 4 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You will need to connect your PC to the router in order to follow the instructions. Type into the search bar on your PC "Network", then click on "View Network Connections". Then right click Ethernet and you should be able to follow from there to set the IP etc.
Message 5 of 8
nevea2be
Guide

Thank you,

I've updated it and will be testing it out today.

Message 6 of 8
nevea2be
Guide

That fixed my problem. Thank you for your help. 

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear that, thanks for the update!
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7