× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Ethernet ports die randomly?

ErikE
Guide

XR500 Ethernet ports die randomly?

So I contacted NetGear within the first 30 days of using the router with an issue where the ethernet ports stop connecting randomly. They instructed me to manually reapply the updated the firmware (2.2.1.10) and to ping the network. After we did this it worked fine for about 2 weeks. Now the ethernet ports stop working daily and when I reset the router they work for a while but it is quite a hassle. Wifi in the house works perfectly fine and we have noticed no issues, seems to be a problem with just the wired connection. I put in another support ticket almost a week ago with no response.
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 108
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've sent you a PM with a firmware that may resolve the issue.
Message 2 of 108
ErikE
Guide

I uploaded the firmware and everything seems fine so far. It said that it was an older firmware, should I not update my firmware any further at this time? Is it just a software issue and not a phyiscal issue for the router?

Message 3 of 108
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd leave it on the firmware I gave you for now if the issue was happening that frequently. The fix I believe will be coming in the next firmware release. Software as far as I'm aware.
Message 4 of 108
ErikE
Guide

Same issue occured again and all wired connections are down but wireless is functional. Any ideas?

Message 5 of 108
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did you do a factory reset after installing the firmware? If not I'd recommend doing that so there are no legacy issues from the previous firmware and see if it continues to occur or not.
Message 6 of 108
ErikE
Guide

I did a factory reset and used the given firmware and I am still having the same problem.
Message 7 of 108
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have any consoles connected to the router? If so can you turn off instant on and see if it goes down again please
Message 8 of 108
stevenuwm
Aspirant

Yikes. I have the same problem. Ethernet ports stop working at random times. Router requires a daily reboot. I have four days left to return it to Best Buy before I'm stuck with a $300 brick.
Message 9 of 108
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've sent you a PM Steve with firmware that should resolve the issue.
Message 10 of 108
Goldkillswitch
Aspirant

Just bought and installed the router yesterday.  Installed the latest firmware.  The ethernet ports have died twice so far and I need them work all the time.  If I can get whatever firmware corrects this issue and instructions on how to insure it doesn't update over it automatically, I appreciate it or I'll have to return the router.  Thank you.

Message 11 of 108
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sent a PM Gold
Message 12 of 108
CooLRuNNinGS
Tutor

I have a similar issue that when I have my xbox in instant on I lose my wired connection to my XR500. The only way to get the connection back is to reboot the router.

Message 13 of 108
ErikE
Guide

Turning off instant on fixed my problem entirely.
Message 14 of 108
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've sent you a PM CooL with firmware to try
Message 15 of 108
CooLRuNNinGS
Tutor

Thanks I’ll try and see how I go. Is this new firmware or an older firmware?

Cheers
Message 16 of 108
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Newer!
Message 17 of 108
CooLRuNNinGS
Tutor

Excellent cheers mate
Message 18 of 108
C1R3
Tutor

I'm having the same issue on this newly bought router. Wired connections die at least once a day. Reboot is the only thing to solve it. Help please
Message 19 of 108
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've sent you a PM C1R3
Message 20 of 108
C1R3
Tutor

It is still happening with the new firmware Fraser. I even did a factory reset after applying the new firmware. It is like clockwork. After about 24 hours all wired devices are no longer online and requests for a new ip never get a response. I like the router, but this is kind of ridiculous. Do you need some logs or something to review? I doubt it's a bad device since others have the same problem. I have a PC, Xbox One X, and WD EX4100 wired and all of them go offline and the only fix is to reboot the router. Please please help.
Message 21 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you disconnect all but the PC and see if the PC still goes off line? 

Any network switches in between the router and devices? 

Possible that the router needs to be RMAd...

@C1R3 wrote:
It is still happening with the new firmware Fraser. I even did a factory reset after applying the new firmware. It is like clockwork. After about 24 hours all wired devices are no longer online and requests for a new ip never get a response. I like the router, but this is kind of ridiculous. Do you need some logs or something to review? I doubt it's a bad device since others have the same problem. I have a PC, Xbox One X, and WD EX4100 wired and all of them go offline and the only fix is to reboot the router. Please please help.

Message 22 of 108
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you give a device a static IP does it continue to work if the other devices go offline?
Message 23 of 108
C1R3
Tutor

Great suggestion Fraser. I will try setting a static up and see if that helps. I did unplug xbox and NAS and leave only PC, but still no IP from DHCP. I will report back with that static IP test.

Thanks,
Eric
Message 24 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

If PC still does off line by itself, regardless of using a static or not, I'd get the router looked at. Ask for an RMA...

@C1R3 wrote:
Great suggestion Fraser. I will try setting a static up and see if that helps. I did unplug xbox and NAS and leave only PC, but still no IP from DHCP. I will report back with that static IP test.

Thanks,
Eric

Message 25 of 108
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7