× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Ethernet ports die randomly?

C1R3
Tutor

Thanks, that is definitely the next step.
Message 26 of 108
MikeyJ
Aspirant

Can you send me the firmware aswell or tell us all where to find it at? Thanks in advance
Message 27 of 108
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sent you a PM Mikey
Message 28 of 108

I am having the same problem as everyone else, replaced the router via RMA.  The new XR500 that I received worked for a few months and then started doing the LAN port shutdown again.  I have tried going back to previous firmware (from Support), up to current and still no effect.  I've tried checking the Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection in the WAN Setup because I always get a slew of DoS Attacks listing in my logs, which are coming from IPs assigned to Microsoft, Bungie, Blizzard, Steam, UPlay, etc.  These are all known and good, so why is the Duma OS flagging traffic as an attack???  I would greatly appreciate any ideas because I'm out of them.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 29 of 108
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

It’s actually a base NETGEAR setting and it’s nothing to worry about at all. Just general internet white noise. If you google the message you’ll see many threads all over this forum saying the same thing.

So in summary, no need to worry!
Message 30 of 108
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

But as for LAN ports dying, it’s hard to know what the cause is. Is it happening across multiple devices, or just a particular device? And are you on the latest firmware (ends in .32)?

If the issue continues I recommend you contact Netgear’s official support.
Message 31 of 108

Normally I would agree with you, however that is the only thing showing up in my logs before than LAN Ports disable. So that is my natural conclusion that it is the root cause of the LAN Ports disabling. When it happens it shuts down all LAN ports with no warning or logged reason. I am on the latest firmware .23, and there is nothing new on my network that my previous R7000 had any problems with. I never had this happen in 3 years of owning an R7000 now it's happening constantly on what is supposed to be the best gaming router. When I have to reboot once a day to be able do simply game its highly frustrating.
Message 32 of 108
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Did you mean to type '.23' as the firmware version you are on? If so, could you upgrade to .32 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XR500/XR500-V2.3.2.32.zip

However, I assume that was an accidental typo. I think the best step here would be to contact NETGEAR support directly as it sounds like a hardware issue. They have 24/7 support: https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 33 of 108
Ryan_G_04
Aspirant

I just bought my router 2 days ago. So far, each of the last 2 mornings, I wake up, and my ethernet ports aren't working. Wifi is running strong though.

I have the newest firmware too. I got this router because my last one kept dropping wifi signal, now this one doesn't, which is great, but I never thought I would have to worry about the LAN ports dropping connections...

Other than this issue, I love the router. I just don't want to have to keep rebooting it every morning. Please tell me a real fix...

Message 34 of 108
Ryan_G_04
Aspirant

Aslo, I have the V2.3.2.32 firmware. I have an Xbox One, a PS4, and my PC connected through the LAN ports. They each have a static IP address tied to them. Today, I had to reboot my router twice because the LAN ports stopped working.

Please tell me something to fix this. This was a $300 router, most expensive one I have ever bought, and now I am thinking of returning it just because it can't hold a solid LAN connection of all things...

Message 35 of 108
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi Ryan - I'm going to send this thread link to a NETGEAR project manager to see if there is a newer firmware they can share or if they're aware of any current reason why you might be having issues.

Message 36 of 108

Ryan,

I wish I could give you a good answer.  I still haven't figured mine out.  It's happening less frequently now, but it's still an issue.  I've had two seprate support tickets on this issue and still don't have an answer.  The one thing that has worked for me is to activate debugging to try and trace the issue.  I lasted a good month, month and a half before it failed again.  Just long enough for my support ticket to close.  This will help them to try and determine the cause.  Plug an empty Thumb Drive into the router and goto routerlogin.net/debug.htm  , once there, click on "Enable LAN/WAN Packet Capture", Set the Store Location to USB Device and click Start Capture.  This will activate logging and once it happens again, you can send this to Netgear and hopefully they can figure this out once and for all.

Message 37 of 108
LevelUpLiam24
Apprentice

Having the exact same issues as those mentioned here. I'm currently on frimware V.2.3.2.40. I have an Xbox One X, and my Verizon Fios Gateway wired to the router. All of the wireless devices work perfectly, even when the wired ports stop. The router works great until it needs rebooting due to the wired connections all going offline. A reboot does resolve the issue temporarily but the next day it needs a reboot again in order for the wired connections to work correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this shouldn't be occuring. 

Message 38 of 108
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Liam, have you tried any of the previous suggestions? Change your console to energy saving mode as we've found instant on causes this issue. There are lots of teams looking into it
Message 39 of 108

Agreed.  At the moment, *knock on wood* disabling the DHCP on your XBox and assigning it a static IP has allowed me to go so far. Something about how the XBox requests an IP from instant on is messing with the router hard.  I went through and assigned all hard wired devices Static IPs in the reservation for the LAN and on the devices themselves.  give that a shot, see if it helps.  Also, I've disabled the Instant-On on my XBox, annoying, but yeah.

Message 40 of 108
LevelUpLiam24
Apprentice

I've just switched over the power mode on the xbox so I'm hoping this helps at least for the xbox. But the issue isn't isolated to the xbox alone. The wired fios box also shows offline until a reboot is performed and then it all works great again. It's occurring to all devices that are connected via a wired connection.
Message 41 of 108
LevelUpLiam24
Apprentice

I have assigned Static IP's to the xbox and the fios box prior to all of this happening so sadly that's not helping resolve the problem for me. When its rebooted it's amazing, but when it drops and needs a reboot it's the most frustrating thing. At least it's not wanting me to reboot mid session. It's only when the device are idle overnight that the next day the router needs reboot to restore wired functionality.
Message 42 of 108

Correct.  We're all having the same problem.  whatever happens to the XR500 causes the LAN ports, all 4 to disable, forcing you to reboot.  Are you able to set a static IP on the FIOS box?  If so, I would set a static IP on all wired devices, configure it on the device itself, not just the router.  then it won't send DHCP requests.  At this point, that is the only thing I can think is the issue.

Message 43 of 108

Ouch.  Well that's not good news, then I guess I wait to reboot mine then :\.  I'll be mid match of any random game and the router just cuts out forcing me to reboot in the middle of my session.  Worse off, it's happening at such random intervals that I can't even begin to guess when I should watch out for it.  It is the single most frustrating thing, I agree completely.

Message 44 of 108
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The xbox issue does affect other devices unfortunately so hopefully that'll work until there is a fix
Message 45 of 108
LevelUpLiam24
Apprentice

Thanks for this, that's good to know! I've switched over the power mode on the xbox already and I will report back tomorrow since it seems to occur overnight.
Message 46 of 108
LevelUpLiam24
Apprentice

Just to update on this, switching modes on the xbox has resolved this for me. It's not ideal but it sure is a temporary solution until we have a fix in the firmware. Thanks for advice! If there happens to be a beta program in regards to the firmware I'd be happy to participate.
Message 47 of 108

good to hear.  Same here, I'm steady for 2 days now, I'll update again if it goes down the black hole.

Message 48 of 108
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the update guys. Glad it's going well now with the workaround.

Message 49 of 108
Chance8305
Aspirant

The same issue is happening to me. Ethernet ports randomly stop working. WiFi is fine.
Message 50 of 108
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7