× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Ethernet ports die randomly?

Unsure.  I had the same issue, it worked fine for the first year and then suddenly started occuring for me as well.  I tried everything, and I literally mean everything, multiple support tickets, 2 different RMAs, multiple versions of firmware (going backwards and then forwards in versions) and it was still occuring.  I honestly don't think they know the cause of it internally yet, the only thing that we've been able to come up with is something with the DHCP request from an Instant On XBox causes the LAN ports to die until reboot.  Until I killed the Instant On and then put a switch inbetween I got to the point of wanting to throw my XR500 out the window because of the number of reboots I was doing.  Not to mention the out of the blue death of my LAN ports in the middle of gaming on my PC.  I feel your pain, trust me :).

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 76 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Instant ON needs to be disabled unless you have a switch in the mix. This has cause problems from day one of the xbox one console. MS still has not fixed it. 

Message 77 of 108
CCOPELAND
Guide

Xr500 is the router it connected to a netgear modem supplied by frontier. The firmware is the most current and I do not have a switch connected.
Message 78 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What LAN devices do you have connected to the router? 

Please try downgrading to v32 FW. Factory reset and setup from scratch after the downgrade. 

@CCOPELAND wrote:
Xr500 is the router it connected to a netgear modem supplied by frontier. The firmware is the most current and I do not have a switch connected.

Message 79 of 108
CCOPELAND
Guide

Just my xbox one x. I keep wifi turned off unless I need it caused by internet is so crappy. So if I put a switch in I can keep the xbox in instant on
Message 80 of 108

Furry, how is this a Microsoft problem?  I never had this issue with my R7000.  I have two friends that have R7000s that have XBoxs in Instant On mode and they have never had this issue.  It's only with the XR500 Pro GAMING Router.  Seems kind of ironic to have such a big problem with a game console on a gaming router.

Message 81 of 108

Correct, put a small switch inbetween the XBox and the Router and you can leave Instant On active.  Since I installed the switch and re-activated my Instant On, I've had no need to reboot due to the dying LAN ports.

Message 82 of 108

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What LAN devices do you have connected to the router? 

Please try downgrading to v32 FW. Factory reset and setup from scratch after the downgrade. 

@CCOPELAND wrote:

This won't work.  Been there, done that, with like 4 different versions of Firmware.

Message 83 of 108
LevelUpLiam24
Apprentice

Totally confirming this method also. Now I'm dealing with fine tuning the geofilter to allow for the automatic updates to push. Currently I'm still testing this and will report back.
Message 84 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

It's plagues other Mfr routers as well. Not just NG. Possible that code in R7000s handles it's better than XRs. Those I haven't seen this on my XR450 which has same HW accept for 2.4Ghz wifi. This is a MS issue. NG and MS need to collaborate to ensure that both router FW and MS Instant ON plays well with each other wiht out a need for a switch however the switch is a work around. This is a MS issue.

Message 85 of 108
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We do understand the issue is frustrating, multiple teams are collaborating on the issue and as said above other routers suffer this.
Message 86 of 108
CCOPELAND
Guide

Well I just ordered my nighthawk switch and it will be here tomorrow. Hopefully it will work.
Message 87 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. In mean time, disable Instant On if your gaming on xbox one or try the downgrade to v32. 

@CCOPELAND wrote:
Well I just ordered my nighthawk switch and it will be here tomorrow. Hopefully it will work.

Message 88 of 108
CCOPELAND
Guide

I will thank you to everyone that has offered their advice and experiences
Message 89 of 108

@FURRYe38 wrote:

It's plagues other Mfr routers as well. Not just NG. Possible that code in R7000s handles it's better than XRs. Those I haven't seen this on my XR450 which has same HW accept for 2.4Ghz wifi. This is a MS issue. NG and MS need to collaborate to ensure that both router FW and MS Instant ON plays well with each other wiht out a need for a switch however the switch is a work around. This is a MS issue.

I wasn't aware this was occuring with other mfg's routers.  

Message 90 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

It's been occurring since day one of the xbox one. Smiley Wink

Message 91 of 108
LevelUpLiam24
Apprentice

Happy to report back that switching the geo-filter to spectating mode when the console is off (using instant on) allows the auto updates for games and apps to push to the xbox. And then switching back to filtering mode when the console is on.

It's worth noting I am connected wired through a switch. But finally got this all resolved!
Message 92 of 108
CCOPELAND
Guide

I just want to let everyone know that adding a switch worked and fixed the ethernet ports from dying overnight.
Message 93 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Great new. Glad it fixed it. Will keep this in mind for others to know about. 

Enjoy. 

@CCOPELAND wrote:
I just want to let everyone know that adding a switch worked and fixed the ethernet ports from dying overnight.

Message 94 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@LevelUpLiam24 wrote:
Happy to report back that switching the geo-filter to spectating mode when the console is off (using instant on) allows the auto updates for games and apps to push to the xbox. And then switching back to filtering mode when the console is on.

It's worth noting I am connected wired through a switch. But finally got this all resolved!

Message 95 of 108
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

@CCOPELAND  - great to hear it's working for you now. 

Message 96 of 108
sivola
Tutor

I am using the hotfix and it keeps happening to me... i must say this is super frustrating to buy such an expensive router and have it fail with the most reliable feature it should have.
And with all do respect telling people to turn instant-on and automatic updates is not a solution, and quite frankly it doesn't always help at all.

Message 97 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you put a external network Gb LAN switch between the XR router and your LAN devices? https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS105.aspx

Seen others post that this helps there odd disconnections with game consoles and the XR router. 

Have you setup IP address reservations for your LAN devices ON the router? 

@sivola wrote:

I am using the hotfix and it keeps happening to me... i must say this is super frustrating to buy such an expensive router and have it fail with the most reliable feature it should have.
And with all do respect telling people to turn instant-on and automatic updates is not a solution, and quite frankly it doesn't always help at all.

Message 98 of 108
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi sivola, I've responded to one of your other posts. I realise it is a frustrating issue and rest assured it is being worked on. Have you tried the workaround above?
Message 99 of 108
C1R3
Tutor

Just return the router. They have been "working" on a fix for well over a year. This router will be obsolete before you get an actual fix. I've already moved on to an Asus router and surprise, I don't have this issue ever. Best of luck
Message 100 of 108
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7