× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Ethernet ports die randomly?

Chance8305
Aspirant

Re: XR500 Ethernet ports die randomly?

Post the firm ware publicly... no?
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 51 of 108
C1R3
Tutor

There is no updated firmware fix yet. Either turn off instant on for your xbox or use wireless on xbox until the firmware is released I've been doing it for about 6 months now. One day it will be fixed.....
Message 52 of 108
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Netgear and Microsoft are working together on a fix, so there's no new firmware yet. The workaround is to disable Instant On mode for now.

Message 53 of 108
Chance8305
Aspirant

This happens on my PS4
Message 54 of 108
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you leave the PS4 in standby instead of shutting it down completely that could cause it
Message 55 of 108
Chance8305
Aspirant

This happens while I’m playing. I have to reboot every time.
Message 56 of 108
Chance8305
Aspirant

I have 3 consoles plugged into this router they all shut off throughout the day like clock work.
Message 57 of 108
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is it only the consoles that encounter it or other devices as well?
Message 58 of 108
Chance8305
Aspirant

I haven’t tried to hardwire other devices into it. I’m having the exact same issues everyone else is having. Why not tell us before we purchase this is an issue?
Message 59 of 108
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It doesn't occur for everyone. Do you have a spare switch you could connect behind the XR500 for your wired devices? That's a known workaround
Message 60 of 108
blw4f
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
It doesn't occur for everyone. Do you have a spare switch you could connect behind the XR500 for your wired devices? That's a known workaround

I was just coming here to suggest that^^
(I hadn't seen it anywhere)

Message 61 of 108
LevelUpLiam24
Apprentice

Hey all,

Just checking to see if we have an update coming? I don't want to be some one that keeps repeating themselves and I know updates take time. However, living with the temporary fix for the Xbox means having to manually update all of my games when I turn it on, rather than have them update in the background. It's become a bigger annoyance than I thought it would.

Thanks so much.
Message 62 of 108
nytiger73
Star

I had this router last year and I was having this exact same issue.  I took it back.  I have an XBox One as well, but mine is wireless and I was still having this issue.  I am possibly in the market for a new router and want to give this one a try again, but not if I am going to have the same issues.  I can't believe this is still an issue.  Has there been ANY progress made on getting the Ethernet ports to stop crapping out?  I have 2 wired devices connected to my current router.  My main PC and then another router which is for my home security system.  It doesn't do any routing or anything like that. Do the newer version of the XR Nighthawk routers also suffer from this issue?

Message 63 of 108
LevelUpLiam24
Apprentice

I had absolutely no idea this issue has been ongoing for so long!! That's really quite a concern. I'm intrigued if the other models also suffer from this problem. But would be reluctant to buy one since I just got the XR500.
Message 64 of 108
blw4f
Tutor

The absolute best solution at this time is to introduce an Ethernet switch between the Xbox and the router. Then you can put your Xbox back on instant on.

I have had zero issues since I went that route. They are still working on a solution but tbh, the solution will probably only be fixed for the next generation consoles. Therefore the switch is your best bet
Message 65 of 108
LevelUpLiam24
Apprentice

I went ahead and purchased the GS305P Switch. Which has resolved the problem!
However, I've noticed that now the Xbox isn't automatically updating games/apps in the background. I've ensured that I have all the settings on the Xbox correct, and have never encountered this issue before. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be the issue?
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 66 of 108
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you leaving the console enabled on the Geo-Filter once you've finished playing? If so switch to spectating mode or delete, does it appear to work properly then?
Message 67 of 108
LevelUpLiam24
Apprentice

I hadn't even consider that, I'll try that tonight and let you know. Thank you!
Message 68 of 108
LevelUpLiam24
Apprentice

I gave it a few days to test this method and for any potential updates to push.
First results were not successful, After switching to spectating mode while the console is off I still had pending updates when booting up the console. At this point, I decided to hard reset the console to ensure it's not an issue on the console side. I booted up this monring after the reset and I'm still not getting updates pushed. 
Not sure if I'm missing an action required on the GeoFilter? Any help is much appreciated

Message 69 of 108
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

If the Geo-Filter is in Spectating Mode then it's effecitvely disabled from a filtering perspective, which means the blocker is somewhere else.

If you run the network test on the Xbox, do you have an open NAT?

Do the downloads even start when you have the Xbox fully on? Want to make sure it's not being blocked just by your Xbox going into Sleep Mode.

If you connect the Xbox to your modem, does it download the updates?

Message 70 of 108
CCOPELAND
Guide

I am having the same problem my wifi works great but I have to reset my router sometime twice a day to get my ethernet ports to work.
Message 71 of 108

CCOPELAND, welcome to the party.  Most likely you have an XBox that is set to instant on within your network.  You have two choices to solve the problem at present: 1. Disable the Instant On mode from your XBox. 2. Put a switch such as (NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Switch (GS605NA)) between your XBox and your XR500.  The XBox's Instant On Mode is causing an internal conflict on the XR500 that disables the LAN ports.  Either one of the two options will correct your problem.

Message 72 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

What wired devices do you have connected to the LAN ports? 

@CCOPELAND wrote:
I am having the same problem my wifi works great but I have to reset my router sometime twice a day to get my ethernet ports to work.

Message 73 of 108
CCOPELAND
Guide

Thank you but why did it just start doing this I've had it for almost a year and never had this problem.
Message 74 of 108
C1R3
Tutor

Did you just recently wire up an xbox? I've had this prob since day one. Many firmware updates later and the problem still persists. I wouldn't hold your breath for a real fix. Start researching a new router.
Message 75 of 108
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7