× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: [XR500] External USB 3.0 HDD formated in ext4 does not show up in ReadyShare storage

Pixys
Guide

[XR500] External USB 3.0 HDD formated in ext4 does not show up in ReadyShare storage

Hello,

My external HDD (Toshiba) formated in EXT4 does not show up in ReadyShare storage. It works when it is formated in NTFS.

According to the user manual p. 121, here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XR500/XR500_UM_EN.pdf, it is supposed to work.

Firmware version  V2.3.2.40

Thanks.

Message 1 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: [XR500] External USB 3.0 HDD formated in ext4 does not show up in ReadyShare storage

Try a different USB drive by chance? 

When connecting it, are you rebooting the router with the drive connected then checking status? 

Message 2 of 34
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could this be the cause?
"Some USB external hard drives and flash drives require you to load the drivers onto the computer before
the computer can access the USB storage device. Such USB storage devices do not work with the router."

Otherwise try a different USB port on the router
Message 3 of 34
Pixys
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Could this be the cause?
"Some USB external hard drives and flash drives require you to load the drivers onto the computer before
the computer can access the USB storage device. Such USB storage devices do not work with the router."

Otherwise try a different USB port on the router

No, it is not the cause: it would not explain why it works when the drive is formated in NTFS. I tried all the USB ports already, beside, same, it works with NTFS, Fat32 and exFat. I also used a simple USB key: same behavior, it works in NTFS, Fat32 and exFat but not with EXT4.

Note also the LED of the router are on when the disk is plugged so the router sees the disk.

Everything points toward a filesystem support issue.

Message 4 of 34
Pixys
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try a different USB drive by chance? 

When connecting it, are you rebooting the router with the drive connected then checking status? 

The HDD is correctly detected when it is formated in NTFS, Fat32 or exFat and in EXT4 it works normaly when plugged on my computer.

Exactly the same behavior with a simple USB key. So the problem is not related to the HDD.

I did both: reboot before and after. I also did a factory reset.

Message 5 of 34
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Would recommend you contact Netgear directly through http://support.netgear.com/ as it's a hardware issue and so I'm limited on what advice I can give as I'm from the software company Netduma
Message 6 of 34
Pixys
Guide

OK, thank you. I'll try to update the thread with the outcome

Message 7 of 34
Pixys
Guide

So, I contacted the support (case #40902191) who explained that  I had to buy a premium support package to get assisstance and they closed the case.

EXT4 is supported according to the page 121 of the user manual so from my perspective Netgear lies on the specs or provides buggy firmware. We don't have any option to install alternative firmware so as far as I am concerned, Netgear is still responsible because my product does not meet the requirements I bought. **bleep**ty brand, **bleep**ty product.

Netgear bashing time on social media !

Message 8 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 9 of 34
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Pixys, I've passed this to a colleague who will escalate your case to hopefully get you the support you need on the matter.
Message 10 of 34
Pixys
Guide

Hello,

Thanks a lot.

I continued to tset and I made an interesting discovery: it works when the usb key / HDD are formatted in EXT3. It does not work in EXT4.

It feels like the module kmod-fs-ext4 is missing in the Linux kernel of DumaOS...

Message 11 of 34
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great catch, thanks for updating us. The team will find that really helpful when they take a look. Do update your support ticket with that information as well please.
Message 12 of 34
Pixys
Guide

Hello,

Unfortunately the ticket is closed. Also it seems to be related to the OS and not the hadware.

That means I have to wait for the next firmware, hoping I pointed you to the right direction and the fix will be included.

Based on the firmware frequency releases, I feel I might have to wait for a very very very long time... and maybe forever.

Next time, I will check the brands that open sourced their fimrwares in order to be independant of the good will of the provider...

Message 13 of 34
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you unable to re-open the ticket? Hopefully it'll be quicker this time around for a new update, let us know when it arrives if it resolves your issue.
Message 14 of 34
Pixys
Guide

For someting that was supposed to be quick to deliver and fix, it is still not so I think I will trash this router and go to a competitor.

After all, the market is free. It is just a shame that Netgear lies on the specs of his own product. I would have time to waste, I'd sue them.

Message 15 of 34
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We you able to re-open your ticket and get an update on this? Sorry to hear you're considering another router due to this.
Message 16 of 34
Pixys
Guide

No, they keep closing it. Netgear wants me to buy a maintenance package to investigate this issue, I fought for 30 minutes on the phone last time. There is noway I'm gonna buy a maintenance package because someone somewhere is incompetent.

Also they consider the router is working and that it is a Duma OS issue. From a client perspective I don't give a **bleep**: as long as I cannot use another OS, Netgear or Duma is the same for me and Netgear is responsible for delivering a product that matches the requirement they sell.

I am thinking about the ASUS RT AC88U, the good thing is I could even use DD-WRT with it. Freeing me from bad OS if needed. What do you think?

Message 17 of 34
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that, I can't comment on that as I'm not familiar with it. I've raised this with the team as they should not be dismissing your issue.
Message 18 of 34
Pixys
Guide

It won't change anything. Piece of advice, stop giving hollow promises because you are not responsible for the incompetency of your employer but giving promises makes you responsible...

Honestly, you should close this topic, Netgear / Duma has a reputation of not delivering what is promissed and you are perfectly aware as you handle this forum. One example: the HybridVPN functionnality that has been been promissed for months and just partially implemented.

The frequency of the firmware releases is just ridiculous. If Netgear/Duma is not able to provide good firmwares, at least open the source code, competent people will do the job... for free

Message 19 of 34
schumaku
Guru

@Pixys wrote:

Piece of advice, stop giving hollow promises because you are not responsible for the incompetency of your employer but giving promises makes you responsible...

In defense of @Netduma-Fraser by yet another Netgear customer: Netduma is a supplier for some of the technology implemented on the Nightawk Pro Gaming routers, not the vendor or maker of the complete router. The hardware, the base platform OS, and many services like ReadyShare are coming from Netgear. Unfortunately, Netgear has a looong history of broken and incomplete ReadyShare (SMB) implementations on many of their consumer class products. Bottom up, many external storage devices are not recognized, due to various possible reasons (e.g. different partition schemes), USB power, basic USB device detection, ... on any router models. The community is full with these. Let's also take the example that none of these products does come with WS-Discovery - the de-facto industry standard on workgroups replacing the legacy NetBIOS host discovery and name resolution in newer Windows 10 editions - "just" implementing SMB3 alone doesn't make it workable. Comparing to all this, the absence of a working ext4 (geee, exotic for the majority of the Netgear customers) file system support, would be really a snap to fix - I can't agree more. However, the true standard file systems for the typical Netgear customers are NTFS, plus more and more exFAT - the standard file systems for external storage does come from the factory.

@Pixys wrote:

Honestly, you should close this topic, Netgear / Duma has a reputation of not delivering what is promissed and you are perfectly aware as you handle this forum. One example: the HybridVPN functionnality that has been been promissed for months and just partially implemented.

Can't find any discussion thread with your participation describing of what HybridVPN functionality you expected or what was promised and not delivered finally - following a long wait. I have my ideas what i would expect from a true HybridVPN implementation, like the ability to keep up multiple VPN sessions (different regions, different providers), and associate either services or local hosts accordingly. This wasn't promised however, unless I have missed something.

Message 20 of 34
Pixys
Guide

My problem is a pure software issue: the lack of support of ext4 is probably due to a missing option in the kernel settings. Nothing hardware related. I invite you to test yourself. Also it is quite surprising that a router running a Linux based OS is not able to handle the main Linux filesystem.
Moreover, what is not acceptable is the fact that Netgear claims their router supports ext4. I checked the specs before I bought it, you can have a look as well.

About the HybridVPN functionality, it is just a joke that it supports only a couple of VPN providers.

But I've learned my lesson, Netgear, it is over for me (and the people around me as well, of course)
Message 21 of 34
schumaku
Guru

@Pixys wrote:
My problem is a pure software issue: the lack of support of ext4 is probably due to a missing option in the kernel settings. ... I checked the specs before I bought it, you can have a look as well.

Nothing wrong with your complaint ref. the broken ext4 support as I said before. @Christian_R please take care of this issue on all XRnnn routers - ext4 is supported, so it has to be workable.

@Pixys wrote:
About the HybridVPN functionality, it is just a joke that it supports only a couple of VPN providers.

Sorry, that's nonense. HybridVPN allows to import any provider OpenVPN config with the inline certificates in the HybridVPN Advanced section. FMI http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000087492--dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-hyb...

Message 22 of 34
Pixys
Guide

I won't debate about the HybridVPN functionality, this is not something I bought when I chose this router (the functionality did not exist at that time).
That being said I will see again if NordVPN provides config with the inline certificates
Message 23 of 34
schumaku
Guru

They do - just download you account config...
Message 24 of 34
Pixys
Guide

Good to know, thank you
Message 25 of 34
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7