× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: [XR500] External USB 3.0 HDD formated in ext4 does not show up in ReadyShare storage

Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Re: [XR500] External USB 3.0 HDD formated in ext4 does not show up in ReadyShare storage

Hi Pixys - in case you're not aware, Hybrid VPN is compatible with any Open VPN provider, you just need to select the advanced option when setting it up and you then input the Config File. Full instructions here: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000087492--dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-...

Message 26 of 34
schumaku
Guru

Yeah @Netduma_Jack  ... as I wrote some posts above already 8-)

Message 27 of 34
Pixys
Guide

Indeed it works. Nice functionality.

My quick judgement was based on the initiale release that did not support various VPN providers.

Message 28 of 34
Pixys
Guide

@schumaku wrote:

In defense of @Netduma-Fraser by yet another Netgear customer: Netduma is a supplier for some of the technology implemented on the Nightawk Pro Gaming routers, not the vendor or maker of the complete router. The hardware, the base platform OS, and many services like ReadyShare are coming from Netgear. Unfortunately, Netgear has a looong history of broken and incomplete ReadyShare (SMB) implementations on many of their consumer class products. Bottom up, many external storage devices are not recognized, due to various possible reasons (e.g. different partition schemes), USB power, basic USB device detection, ... on any router models. The community is full with these. Let's also take the example that none of these products does come with WS-Discovery - the de-facto industry standard on workgroups replacing the legacy NetBIOS host discovery and name resolution in newer Windows 10 editions - "just" implementing SMB3 alone doesn't make it workable. Comparing to all this, the absence of a working ext4 (geee, exotic for the majority of the Netgear customers) file system support, would be really a snap to fix - I can't agree more. However, the true standard file systems for the typical Netgear customers are NTFS, plus more and more exFAT - the standard file systems for external storage does come from the factory.

Hi,

For my own sanity, could someone test as well?

I tried exFat on 3 different USB sticks, 1 SSD, 1 HDD, different cases. It is not recognize either... Of course I don't apply any restriction on the USB devices.

So far only NTFS and HFS+ are recognized.

Firmware version V2.3.2.40

Thanks

Message 29 of 34
schumaku
Guru

I haven't said the XR500 (nor any other Netgear router officiailly) does support exFAT  ... just that this is coming up more and more, becoming a standard.

From the fine manual, p.121 ff.

The router supports the following file system types for full read/write access:
• FAT16
• FAT32
• NTFS
• NTFS with compression format enabled
• Ext2
• Ext3
• Ext4
• HFS
• HFS+

Message 30 of 34
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

@schumaku  - my bad! Apologies, missed your post when catching up on the thread.

Message 31 of 34
Pixys
Guide

@schumaku wrote:

I haven't said the XR500 (nor any other Netgear router officiailly) does support exFAT  ... just that this is coming up more and more, becoming a standard.

From the fine manual, p.121 ff.

The router supports the following file system types for full read/write access:
• FAT16
• FAT32
• NTFS
• NTFS with compression format enabled
• Ext2
• Ext3
• Ext4
• HFS
• HFS+

I am not sure to understand what brings your initial comment about exFat... It is particularly misleading.

On my side, I should have checked that exFat was in the list. So let's focus on the list provided by Netgear and for this thread Ext4

Message 32 of 34
schumaku
Guru

@Pixys wrote:

I am not sure to understand what brings your initial comment about exFat... It is particularly misleading.

It was worth a try - we found some Netgear routers models indeed detect and mount exFAT file systems. Sorry for causing confusion.

Message 33 of 34
schumaku
Guru

@Netduma_Jack wrote:

@schumaku  - my bad! Apologies, missed your post when catching up on the thread.

Hey don't worry, I was more in a kiddding mood!

Message 34 of 34
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7