× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 FRIENDS ON MY GEO-FILTER ALLOWED LIST NOT ABLE TO JOIN ME

jesusm07
Guide

XR500 FRIENDS ON MY GEO-FILTER ALLOWED LIST NOT ABLE TO JOIN ME

I have the NIghthawks XR500 router. When I go into my Geo-Filter I have a certain distance set for my radius (1000 miles) that I like to keep it at and have it in filtering mode. I have a few friends that live outside of that radius so what I did is I temporarily increased the radius so they can join me. Once they did I added them to my "allowed" list. After that I set the radius back to what I originally had it at which would put them back to being outside of my Geo-Filter radius. However because they were added to my "allowed" list they are able to stay connected to me that day. Once we stop playing and try to play again on a different day they can no longer join me even though they still show on my "allowed" list. I have to increase my radius once again so they can join and then I can reduce the distance and they remain connected. I have to that each different day that we try to join up. I though once they are on my allowed list they can join me anytime, any day.That is not the case. Once again each different day I have to go through the same process all over again. Does anybody know if that is normal? Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Put it into Spectating Mode make sure there is nothing on the Geo-Filter. Then invite them to a party or game lobby, whatever shows up will be them, ping them and then add them. You should then be able to change to Filtering Mode and be able to connect with them.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The only reason that would be happening is that their IPs are changing and therefore your adding them to the allow list wouldn't work once the IP has changed. The only way around it would be to see if they can switch to a Static public IP. Most likely they are rebooting modem/routers frequently which can cause the IP to change if they're dynamic.
Message 2 of 10
jesusm07
Guide

I just tested it with a friend of mine that is in my allowed list and does have a Static public IP. He was not able to join me. He tried twice and was only able to finally join only after I increased the radius. Once I did that I was able to reduce it and has was he was able to remain in my lobby. Not only that he lives in AZ but he is shown to live in OK. Same as another friend of mine on my allowed list he lives in CA but shows him to be located in OK as well.

Message 3 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Put it into Spectating Mode make sure there is nothing on the Geo-Filter. Then invite them to a party or game lobby, whatever shows up will be them, ping them and then add them. You should then be able to change to Filtering Mode and be able to connect with them.
Message 4 of 10
jesusm07
Guide

I've tried that before. Instead of increasing the geo radius change the setting from filtering to spectating mode. Then select "allow" when they appear. The moment they have joined and I change it back to filtering mode they get disconnected. The only way they have been able remain connected is by increasing my geo-filter radius, wait for them to join ...then I can reduce it again.
Message 5 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If they are already connected to you and showing on the map then changing to Filtering Mode would not do that. We specifically made sure of that for Anti-Cheat purposes. Can you record a video of what is happening please.
Message 6 of 10
jesusm07
Guide

ok So I finally got it working. Yes they were getting kicked out even after I did everything I mentioned on my prior posts.The one thing I didn't do before was ping them first. So I did what you said which is put in spectating mode, PING them, invite them and then added them which is what you told me to do.  I just didn't realized and know how to ping anybody up until this last time I signed on. Before switching from spectating to filtering did kick them out if they were not within my radius but not this last time. The only thing I did different was ping them first before I added them to my allowed list. That worked. Now they can join me with no problem and stay connected regardless if I switch from spectating to filtering or wether they are within my radius or not ...they stay connected to me. Thank you for helping me find a solution.

Message 7 of 10
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Nice one, great to hear you were able to solve this. We will look into making it simpler to Allow a friend in a future update. 

Message 8 of 10
jesusm07
Guide

It seems to still be a slight problem. My friends remain connected with me however each different day my friends that are already on my allowed list can't just join me. If I am in filtering mode I have to switch to spectating so they can join me. Then I can switch back and they remain connected. However this is a little weird but no big deal. Each time I want to connect with a friend that is outside of my radius on another day I have to change my mode again just to allow them to join me ...even though they are already on my allowed friends list.I would think once you have added them to that allowed list they can just join me anytime any day.

Message 9 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It is likely what I mentioned before that their IPs are changing, just re-add them to the allow list.
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7