× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Factory resets itself in the middle of the day, Why?

yootzee
Aspirant

XR500 Factory resets itself in the middle of the day, Why?

Continuting my XR500 lovefest (by love, I mean it's making sex to me)...

My XR500 does a factory rest of itself, for not apparent reason, at approximatly 0700pm this evening.  No power outage, connected to known good UPS, no one has has physical access except me.  All of my setttings are gone, DNS, 25 MAC reservations, QOS settings, wireless...all kaput.

I see in numerous postings, not to do a backup/restore.  So, what is the answer to mitigate this?  This is the second time in a month that I'm now having to spend an hour plus reconfiguring.  The first was when I made the mistake of updating the firmware to V2.3.2.40.  The update changed random settings all of over the place and eventually it was just easier to do a factory reset and reconfigure.  While I use this for gaming, which was my primary motivation for getting, I also have a wife the works from home, which is how it was brought to my attention.  So, now I've got to worry about the router losing its sh!T randomly in the middle of the day and the downtime assocated with it.  Oh, and don't backup/restore, so hand jamming everything back on when it happens?  Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can do a backup/restore, there is nothing wrong with doing this. However, I would not recommend taking a backup from an old firmware and applying it to a newer firmware. Think of it as firmware specific and it's fine to do so.

I doubt the update would have changed settings. Are you accessing the interface the same way from the same device every time? Did the logs indicate that the router had done a reboot/reset?
Message 2 of 8
yootzee
Aspirant

Fraser,

Thanks for clearing up the backup/restore question.  You can believe the firmware update outcome or not (it appears not).  So many folks can't believe it becuase it doesn't happen to them.  I was here, I saw the settings, like the "Router MAC Address" setting change from "use default" to "use computer MAC address", which broke my passthrough with Uverse. and MAC reservations go bye bye, which broke printing.  However, kept things like WiFi settings.

Stuff happens with firware updates, I get it, so it is what it is and this was a month or so ago so I'd swallowed it and moved on.  I'll do another firmware update, only when a security issue is resolved, and be ready for a problem that hopefully won't come.

My motivation behind this post is that, unrelated to any changes, the router did a full factory out of the box reset, in the middle of the day removing everything.

Yes, I'm accessing the interface through the same browser (granted, Firefox updates occasionally) on the same hardwared system.  No one was accessing the admin interface during the reset and I'm the only one who uses the admin interface.

Unfortunatly, the logs have truncated, assuming I'm looking in the right spot (system information -> Logs and/or settings -> monitoring -> logs).  But, I just did a export and would be happy to let you take a look if you think it would help.

Message 3 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

This is certainly really strange. Do you have the router plugged into a power extender/strip rather than directly into a wall outlet? If so can you switch it over to the wall please. Unforeseen issues can occur if it's not receiving the correct power.
Message 4 of 8
yootzee
Aspirant

Power can definetly cause problems.  I have the XR500, my Uverse router and my dekstop plugged directly into a known good UPS (APC 1500 Pro).

Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have the ability to plug it into an outlet rather than the APC?
Message 6 of 8
yootzee
Aspirant

I can.  However, I'd rather not.  I live on the coast (Florida) in an area that does not have the cleanest of power.  We are prone to brown outs, and wicked lightening storms.  I've learned the hard way that any electronics that I value don't go directly into a power outlet.  I do have another known good UPS that I'll plug it into.

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Ahh that is fair enough, okay let us know how you get on with the other one.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7