× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Firmware 2.3.2.56 is junk and needs to be fixed

onemarbledotcom
Initiate

XR500 Firmware 2.3.2.56 is junk and needs to be fixed

This is the third time I have tried upgrading from 2.3.2.32  to 2.3.2.56 on my XR500.  Previous 2 times were several months ago and when .56 was initially released.  My Galaxy Note 9 won't even reconnect (failed to issue IP address), many other devices won't reconnect, and issues with R-App not yet loaded.  I have tried multiple ways to get this to work and it's just not worth my time an effort to continue.  Most people that have not idea about their router would probably throw it away and just go buy another one (different brand).  I downgrade back to 2.3.2.32 and everything works as intended.

I know the .56 is more secure, but there is just something not right about the firmware.  I reported this back on .40 having a similar issue and .32 was the latest stable release.  I would prefer to keep my XR500 instead of spending more money to buy a different router with full security patches that works.  I have no issues with my R7000 router (latest patches) in the same location and even a cheaper R6260 I bought for another location.

Netgear, please tell me you are going to issue a fully stable and working firmware for the XR500 sooner than later, even though later is almost a year later.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 Firmware 2.3.2.56 is junk and needs to be fixed

Sorry to hear you're having the issues. The next version of the software that will include fixes and lots of new features is currently in beta. If you sign up here and let me know then I can try to boost you up the waiting list so you have the chance to try it sooner. Do keep in mind it will have some bugs initially. http://www.netgearinnovation.com/dumaos-beta/index.html

Another suggestion would be to reinstall .56 using the TFTP method, thereby bypassing any bugs during boot and then do a factory reset. That may prove to be more stable until you get on the beta/it is released.
Message 2 of 6
SturmButcher
Aspirant

Same here, the router dont work as expected, the coverage is poor and almost useless, I have to reboot it daily to make it work, I signed to beta and still dont get any answer...

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What issues are you having specifically? If you're using Smart Connect disable that and connect to 2.4/5GHz manually. Also position your antennae so they are in optimal positions and don't have the router surrounded/resting on metal as that will kill the signal. Wireless devices e.g headphones within a short distance could also affect this.
Message 4 of 6
SturmButcher
Aspirant

Of course it's enabled, I didn't buy something to have it disable, that's why I am waiting the beta or the launch of the product because it's taking too long...
Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Not all features need to be enabled, you may get better performance by doing that.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7