× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Firmware Downgrade to solve internet drop outs

SA1
Tutor
Tutor

XR500 Firmware Downgrade to solve internet drop outs

Hello

I have downgraded the XR500 FW to solve internet drop outs (to v2.3.2.22).

Is it reasonable to run this or should I be trying a re-upgrade to v56?

I had frequent drop outs to VDSL with my modem in bridge mode.  (using v40).  This was solved by placing the router in a DMZ on the modem, but anecdotally there was a loss of performance in game playing when other network users were streaming, and we suspected that the modem's QOS may have been countering the XR500's QOS.

So we are back in the modem bridge mode.  After one dropout on v56, and having read many posts on this site, I have reset the router to factory settings, installed v22 and so far after 36 hours it seems to be good.

I normally prefer to run the latest updates of firmware and software.

Thank you

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 Firmware Downgrade to solve internet drop outs

.56 has many more vulnerability fixes in it than .22 will so in that regard it's a much safer firmware to have installed. They basically do the same thing of passing traffic straight through to the router. I'd suggest doing the DMZ method and disabling the QoS on the modem as you've suggested, if two devices are manipulating the packets then it could cause issues as you've experienced.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would advise going back to .56 and you should disable WiFi on the modem/router you have and force everything to connect to the XR so that the QoS can effectively control all devices.
Message 2 of 4
SA1
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you Fraser.

My two questions are

How does the security of v56 compare with v22?

Are there benefits of operating the XR500 with the modem in bridge mode vs DMZ?

To restate the problem - 

Equipment:

Router: XR500  (purchased March 2019)

Modem: Technicolor TG789 v3

[we also have a Cisco SPA ATA for telephone connected to the XR500)

There are approximately 30 devices on the network.  Buffer bloat, QOS and the geo-filter are regularly used.

Problem:

Drops out from the internet - initially weekly, but increased to many times per day.  Worse overnight.

Modem lights indicate still connected. WiFi OK but internet disconnected in the morning

Problem occurred when

- Techincolor Modem  in Bridge Mode.  

-  XR500 IP address obtained dynamically from ISP

Solutions tried:

1. DMZ Connection

Modem - Not in bridge mode.  DMZ established. WiFi Off.

Router - Connected to Static IP in DMZ

No drop outs at all - it can go for months!

However the router appears to be more sensitive to lag on FIFA Xbox due to video traffic by other users

We think DMZ is not as good as bridge mode.  We wonder if the Modem's QOS may still operate on DMZ traffic, negating the benefits of the XR500's QOS

The modem does have disable buttons for QOS, which we are yet to fully test.

2. Reset XR500 to factory settings  Downgrade to v22

Modem - bridge mode

Router - IP address obtained dynamically

One drop out over a week.

Possibly better than DMZ mode.

Thank  you

Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

.56 has many more vulnerability fixes in it than .22 will so in that regard it's a much safer firmware to have installed. They basically do the same thing of passing traffic straight through to the router. I'd suggest doing the DMZ method and disabling the QoS on the modem as you've suggested, if two devices are manipulating the packets then it could cause issues as you've experienced.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7