× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Firmware Update Stuck

KurtMayer
Aspirant

XR500 Firmware Update Stuck

Hello,

I have a XR500 Nighthawk Router running with firmware V2.3.2.22 (since last year with no problems). After experiencing some odd connectivity issues the past few days I decided to see if there was a firmware update -- using the Dumas console. It advised that there was a V2.3.2.56 update available so I clicked on the UPDATE button.  It has been running for the past two hours, saying "Upgrade in progress. Your router is about to update. Please do not switch it off. It will reconnect shortly."  It's just stuck on that display, with a spinning blue circle under the message.

I'm using Firefox as a browser and in a separate browser window (I've left the Upgrade In Progress window open) I tried connecting to my router's IP - 192.168.1.1 - but I get a "404 Not Found" page.  If I try to outthink it and add more to the URL, like http://192.168.1.1/desktop, I just get a "No such file or directory" message displayed on the returned page.

The odd thing is that I still have internet connectivity on all of my devices at the moment (including where I'm typing this from).  My fear is that if I attempt to reboot the router, it will corrupt the firmware (if it's not already).  Has anyone else had issues with applying the firmware update?  Is it safe to just power off and reboot the router?

Thanks

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 3
KurtMayer
Aspirant

Update:  took a chance and rebooted the router.  Came back up normally -- but not updated.  Still at V2.3.2.22.  So I took a backup of the Configuration settings (which I should have done earlier), and downloaded the firmware image for V2.3.2.56.

Using the DumaOS dashboard, I browsed for and applied the flash image file.  Came back up running V2.3.2.56.

My only issue with the update is that I get a 'Script Error' for one of the display windows in the 'Dashboard'. No other information about the error other than a button stating that -- and a blank window in the 'Dashboard'.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 2 of 3
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

After a firmware update it is recommended to do a factory reset to ensure that no issues carry over from previous firmware and it starts fresh on that version. I would suggest doing that as it should resolve this issue as well.
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7