× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Firmware got corrupted after upgrade - Brick Router HELP

GregMora
Tutor

XR500 Firmware got corrupted after upgrade - Brick Router HELP

Hi everybody!

This is my first Netgear Router even though I have experience with network equipment. I was very exicted to try this amazing router, I have to import it.

Got it today, set everything up without any issues. After the first steps, and getting started I got prompted to make an firmware update, I did it, without any issues. Update was completed, Router restart and everything works OK. I even play a few games trying the GeoFilter. Then I shut-down my equipment (is connected to a grounded regulator), when I came back home my problems started.

I turned on the Router and it never start up, After a solid orange power led, for a 5 seconds, then power LED start blinking white but that's it, device is not working.

I start to trouble-shooting. I restart the modem Factory reset, turning on the device while holding reset button with a clip until Power LED starts blinking amber - Didn't work.

I kept researching on the support pages and it seems the firmware is corrupted in someway. That's very disappointing, I read about doing the firmware update using tftp2.exe through a fixed manual IP address set on the adapter. Even though I have ping response frome the device, firmware update tool can't find the host(server), firmware update can't be done.

Is very unfortunately for me because if I have to send it back, I will have to pay duites and shipment fees.

Do you have any idea or thing that I should try?

Currently when I turn on the router, the Power LED lights up orange for 5 seconds then turns in blinking light, I can ping it while assigning a manual IP, but I can't enter to the modem Dashboard, no duma OS, no internet.

Smiley Sad

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
GregMora
Tutor

All right just to let you know, I found the solution I bring back to live my XR500. tftp2.exe doesn't work with this router instead use Tftpd64 software.

I researched a little bit and guess what happened was, my router came with a firwmare that had a glitch where firmware can get corrupted if you make an update from the dashboard button, in some way happen the same what was prompted on the setting up phase. I also disable the automatic firmware updates options.

Its current firmware is: XR500-V2.0.0.28

Now I wonder, 2 questions:

1. Which is the best stable firmware you recommend?

2. What is the best reliable method to update the firmware?

Honestly, I lost confidence on this device thinking on not update anything and leave it like this, but my IT brain knows that firmware updates are necessary.

I hope you guys share some of your expertise on this device or a least mods care to chime in.

Thanks.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Give this a try:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

If this fails you'll need to contact NG support and check on getting a RMA. Or return to place of purchase if thats an option. 

@GregMora wrote:

Hi everybody!

This is my first Netgear Router even though I have experience with network equipment. I was very exicted to try this amazing router, I have to import it.

Got it today, set everything up without any issues. After the first steps, and getting started I got prompted to make an firmware update, I did it, without any issues. Update was completed, Router restart and everything works OK. I even play a few games trying the GeoFilter. Then I shut-down my equipment (is connected to a grounded regulator), when I came back home my problems started.

I turned on the Router and it never start up, After a solid orange power led, for a 5 seconds, then power LED start blinking white but that's it, device is not working.

I start to trouble-shooting. I restart the modem Factory reset, turning on the device while holding reset button with a clip until Power LED starts blinking amber - Didn't work.

I kept researching on the support pages and it seems the firmware is corrupted in someway. That's very disappointing, I read about doing the firmware update using tftp2.exe through a fixed manual IP address set on the adapter. Even though I have ping response frome the device, firmware update tool can't find the host(server), firmware update can't be done.

Is very unfortunately for me because if I have to send it back, I will have to pay duites and shipment fees.

Do you have any idea or thing that I should try?

Currently when I turn on the router, the Power LED lights up orange for 5 seconds then turns in blinking light, I can ping it while assigning a manual IP, but I can't enter to the modem Dashboard, no duma OS, no internet.

Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 5
GregMora
Tutor

Furry! thanks that was exactly how I fixed, I was trying with the tftp2.exe app without success then I tried Tftpd64 and is back!.

Glad you chime in.

Do you recommend an specific firmware?

What is the best method to update the firmware? (I have now access to the DumaOS)

I appreciated your help.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. 

I recommend downloading any FW files to a PC and having a wired PC connected to the router and doing FW updates that way. Using Firefox or Opera browsers. Factory reset the router after the FW is loaded and setup from scratch. 

What FW version is currently loaded? 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7