× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Hide MY Ass VPN

Boda
Aspirant

XR500 Hide MY Ass VPN

Has anyone Set up the HMA VPN in the DUMA OS and seen a significant decrease in download speeds? I have been working with the crew at HMA VPN to try to resolve this issue and we have had no luck at all.  The odd thing about it is when I install the HMA app on my laptop, phone, and Mac, I lose maybe 20Mbps-50Mbps of overall download speed at the most. I do not have any major slowing down effects. When I use it through the DUMA OS app in the router, I go from 300Mbps down to 20Mbps download speed. We tried different servers, Different DNS settings, and the UDP Protocol with no change in speeds. 

After working with HMA for the last week on this problem, they said that it is a DUMA issue, that they need to figure it out because there is nothing more that they could do. They mentioned that the firmware could be limiting the speed through the router. I'm using firmware 2.2.1.10

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 Hide MY Ass VPN

Hi Boda, as you're aware a VPN will always decrease speeds. I can't give too much advice on it as the VPN Client in Settings is handled by the Netgear development team. We are however, working on our own VPN solution. So I would either call Netgear's 24/7 support number or wait until our solution is released to see if that resolves your speed issue.
Message 2 of 4
Boda
Aspirant

How long of a timeline are we looking at for this release?

Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's hard to give a deadline because there are a lot of moving parts. Netduma team are currently testing however.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7