× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 - Hue Bridge and Shield Built-in Chrome Cast Wired Issues

kelton312
Star

XR500 - Hue Bridge and Shield Built-in Chrome Cast Wired Issues

Hi all, I am having some weird problems with my new XR500. 

Scenario: I have an nvidia shield connected via ethernet to the router. I am not able to cast to this device via the built in chromecast, nor am I able to use android TV to control or the shield TV app to control it. Everything else works as normal.

If I switch the nvidia shield to wireless, and have my android phone with the control apps on the wireless network all of the above functionality works fine. 

Second scenario: Phillips Hue bridge does not work when connected via ethernet to the router, my android app is able to see the IP but when I hit the button to pair and connect it just expires. The Hue does not have a wireless connection but the Shield issue has led me to believeit is related.

I have toggled just about every wireless setting possible on the router, including enabling/separating 2.5/5ghz bands, disabling smart connect and a variety of other check boxes in advanced settings, nothing fixes the issues. I have another wireless standalone chromecast and a google home that both work fine on wireless regardless of setting.

Another point - I can "cast" from my wired desktop PC to the wired Nvidia Shield. This also leads me to believe there is an issue with ethernet > wired connectivity/sharing with this router.

I have tested all these settings an my old router (nighthawk r700) and don't have this issue. Looking forward to any and all help with this matter, thanks!

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 38
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Weird that it only occurs via ethernet and not wireless. In Settings > WAN Setup untick 'Disable IGMP Proxying'. Have you enabled DMZ or done any manual Port Forwarding/Triggering or disabled UPnP?

Do you use PPPoE or VLAN?
Message 2 of 38
kelton312
Star

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Weird that it only occurs via ethernet and not wireless. In Settings > WAN Setup untick 'Disable IGMP Proxying'. Have you enabled DMZ or done any manual Port Forwarding/Triggering or disabled UPnP?

Do you use PPPoE or VLAN?

Thanks for the quick reply,

I tested enabled/disabled "DisableIGMP Proxying", no change. 

I have ports forwarded for my plex server and webserver, no triggering or anything out of the ordinary here.

UPnP is enabled, I haven't messed with the defaults for these settings. 

Message 3 of 38
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Disable QoS completely, does that resolve the issue?
It may be the ports you forwared are required for those devices are required for nvidia and phillips but unlikely if they work via wifi. I'd recommend calling Netgear support if QoS disabled doesn't fix it.
Message 4 of 38
kelton312
Star

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Disable QoS completely, does that resolve the issue?
It may be the ports you forwared are required for those devices are required for nvidia and phillips but unlikely if they work via wifi. I'd recommend calling Netgear support if QoS disabled doesn't fix it.

Forgot to mention I haven't enabled any QOS or anti buffer bloat settings. Since this router is fairly new I couldn't find anything from other users via google on ethernet to wired connectivity or any similar issues. I will try contacting netgear support and report back if I find anything out. 

Message 5 of 38
kelton312
Star

Forgot to answer this part of your question above... I use PPPoE for authentication to my ISP with VLAN tagging of 201. Not sure if that will help. 

Message 6 of 38
schumaku
Guru

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Weird that it only occurs via ethernet and not wireless. In Settings > WAN Setup untick 'Disable IGMP Proxying'. 

How is the WAN IGMP Proxy involved ? What the OP does describe is all ICMP Multicast on the (W)LAN, respectively between the radio interfaces (all three), the 10 GbE port, the two GbE ports optionally supporting aggregation, and all the other GbE ports. The WAN IGMP proxy would serve for different purposes, typically for provider IPTV applications.

Message 7 of 38
kelton312
Star

@schumaku wrote:

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Weird that it only occurs via ethernet and not wireless. In Settings > WAN Setup untick 'Disable IGMP Proxying'. 

How is the WAN IGMP Proxy involved ? What the OP does describe is all ICMP Multicast on the (W)LAN, respectively between the radio interfaces (all three), the 10 GbE port, the two GbE ports optionally supporting aggregation, and all the other GbE ports. The WAN IGMP proxy would serve for different purposes, typically for provider IPTV applications.

Would switching up the ethernet ports I use make a difference? I haven't tried different ones, I didn't realize they were different speed interfaces. 

Message 8 of 38
schumaku
Guru

@kelton312 wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:

Would switching up the ethernet ports I use make a difference? I haven't tried different ones, I didn't realize they were different speed interfaces. 

Sorry for the confusion - ignore the 10 GbE port information, this is applicable to the XR700 only.

Message 9 of 38
Myiasis
Star

Same as the original poster, I cannot connect to Philips Hue Bridges with this router.

I had an R7000 and had everything set up.  Have been using the XR500 for a few months, never needed to do anything wth the lights, so have not tried the bridge software since I upgraded.

The other day I tried to add another light and I could not connect to my bridge anymore.  I even bought a second hue bridge thinking it was broken, but same result.

I took both bridges to the person I gave my R7000 to, both worked just fine with that router.

I am on the latest firmware for the XR500 (2.3.2.32).  Also like the original poster I am PPPoE/VLAN 201, UPnP is enabled.

The bridge is definitely visible on the network.  Can see it on the device manager page.  The Philips Hue app finds it on the network as well.  The app will not connect to it though.  Connecting to it involves pushing a button on the top of it so whatever it is trying to do at that point is what is failing.  App has a timer, tells you push the button, eventually it just times out.  (Worked first time on R7000, with both bridges.)

Incredibly frustrating.

Message 10 of 38
Myiasis
Star

One more thing to add, the hue bridge is communicating just fine over the internet.

Philips has a web page where you register the bridge.  This requires the same pattern as the app is trying to do.  You go to the website, hit the Add Brige button, it tells you to push the button on the bridge.  This works just fine.

Message 11 of 38
kelton312
Star

Thanks for adding to the post! I think we can officially say there are bugs with connectivity with this router now? I thought it was just me for a while. 

I wanted to add, I talked to netgear support yesterday, they had me do ping tests across devices. Everything pings with no issues. They determined it was a "hardware issue" and had me go replace the device via the store I bought it at. 

I tried the new device today and immediately updated firmware, factory reset, and encountered the same exact issues in the original post. If any Netduma people are still checking this post I hope this information helps. I opened another ticket with netgear support today with the above info. 

Message 12 of 38
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The only thing that I think could affect it would be DPI and if you disable QoS completely in Anti-Bufferbloats options then it wont affect it. If that doesn't resolve it then it's not a DumaOS issue and maybe something in Settings in which case would recommend calling Netgear support directly.
Message 13 of 38
Myiasis
Star

I tried with QOS disabled and the hue bridge still fails to connect.

Message 14 of 38
Myiasis
Star

It is the wireless that is causing the issues, whatever those might be.

Found an app for Windows that supposedly syncs your lights to music or something -- didn't care what it did, just wanted to see if it would connect to the bridge.  My main computer is connected via wireless due to the distance to the only fiber port in my apartment.  Using this app, failed just like all the other times on Android phone and iPad.

I went out and bought a USB-ethernet adapter.  Installed the same software on my surface tablet (windows 10 again), used the adapter to plug it directly into the router.  It connected to the bridge without any trouble.

Tried using the usb/ethernet adapter on my phone (never tried to plug a phone directly into ethernet), worked through, phone showed it was using the ethernet connection.  Tried the Hue setup application on the phone, with the phone hard wired, and it connected to the bridge without any trouble.

Message 15 of 38
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay that's an interesting on, make sure you've got these done: Smart Connect disabled
Advanced Settings > Advanced Wireless > Disable Beamforming and MU-MIMO, ensure HT160 is disabled also.

If that doesn't work let me know and I'll have one more suggestion which I can PM to you.
Message 16 of 38
kelton312
Star

Can you tell me the USB adapter you bought? I'm a little confused how you got it working, you have a dongle on your PC and one on your router?
Message 17 of 38
Myiasis
Star

Looking at my settings, HT160 is disabled, but I do have those other two options enabled.  I will be out all day, but I'll try your suggestions later tonight Fraser.  Appreciate your troubleshooting help.

Message 18 of 38
Myiasis
Star

Hey Kelton,

The adapter I bought is just a standard USB 3.0 to gigabit ethernet adapter.  I got it at BestBuy, is made by Insignia (like $25 or so).

Just got it to test whether not being on the wireless would make a difference and it did.  I wouldn't really say it is working, because it is a fair bit of effort to get the Hue app working like that -- at least for me, having to be wired to the router and I have to take the phone out of the case because the USB-C to USB-A adapter that came with the phone doesn't fit with the case on.

The computer I used it on was again just for a test, my Surface tablet is not my main PC.  It's just hard to do tests on my main PC because it is so far from the router itself.  When things get to the "Push the button" stage, I have to run as fast as I can down to the bridge before things time out.  With the Surface I can just sit next to the router and bridge.

So I CAN set things up, but I can't really maintain anything because in a general sense, my phone still won't connect.  However, it is set up enough for now that I can at least get by.  I can control the lights again via Alexa -- I only really ever used the Hue app for initial setup.  Things like Apple Homekit, or even controlling brightness/colors, I still cannot do without physically attaching devices to the router.

So I'm still looking for the cause and resolution, but I'm not longer sitting around in the dark!

Message 19 of 38
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've sent you a PM Myiasis with a suggestion
Message 20 of 38
Myiasis
Star

Hey Fraser, 

I tried your suggestions and didn't appear to make a difference.

Current settings:
HT160.png

SmartConnect.png

As I'm sure you are aware, that split my SSID into two, one for 2.4ghz and the other for 5ghz.  By the naming convention it used, all my equipment reconnected to the 2.4ghz.

I tried to connect to the bridge via the phone again.  Did not work.

I then followed your instructions in the IM and tried again.  Did not work.

I then switched my phone to the 5ghz connection and tried again.  Did not work.

Just to make sure things were not totally crazy, I plugged the USB/ethernet back into my phone and it connected to the bridge right away.

Message 21 of 38
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Including the PM'd suggestion? With everything else still disabled enable Beamforming again. Have you kept WMM enabled? Not sure about the age of the devices being used but in Advanced Wireless settings first change Preamble Mode to short Preamble, then see if the devices work. If not change to long and see, if that doesn't work just put it back to automatic.
Message 22 of 38
Myiasis
Star

Yes, the trials above included the PM'd suggestion.

Yes, WMM has been enabled on both 2.4 and 5 for all of the testing.

I tried the two preamble settings, on both 2.4 and 5 (switched phone back and forth).  No luck.

I still have the PM'd setting disabled.

Message 23 of 38
Myiasis
Star

I tried a couple more things; just things I hadn't tried yet.

I do have a guest network.  I turned that off.  No luck.

I tried only leaving th 2.4ghz radio enabled.  Connected to that.  No luck.

Flipped it around, left only the 5ghz radio enabled.  Connected to that.  No luck.

Message 24 of 38
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

There really is nothing I could possibly think of to try. If QoS is disabled and it still doesn't work then its a Netgear issue. Have you called them or raised a ticket? If not I would suggest doing so and then putting the case number here and I can chase it, escalate it.
Message 25 of 38
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7