× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Hybrid VPN Torguard DNS leak

Marc_Marc
Apprentice

XR500 Hybrid VPN Torguard DNS leak

I am having trouble preventing the DNS from leaking in my hybrid VPN setup. 

I have added the following lines to my VPN confing but they dont help. 

push "block-outside-dns"
push "dhcp-option DNS 1.1.1.1"
push "dhcp-option DNS 1.0.0.1"

My DNS is still showing as my ISP. 

Is there a way to set LAN DHCP side pushed DNS (where is the option)

If anyone could post a picture that would be awesome or if anyone has a solution.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can you obtain the VPN DNS and enter it in the Internet Setup of the router? If so does it show the VPN DNS instead of ISP then? Are you connected to the VPN via TCP or UDP?
Message 2 of 26
Marc_Marc
Apprentice

I am connected to the VPN via TCP. 

I got the VPN's DNS details but my issue is that it applies router wide if I apply them on the internet setting page. I only want the DNS to be applicable for the devices the Hybrid VPN is in use for. 

Message 3 of 26
Marc_Marc
Apprentice

Also whats really strange is that when i connect using my VPN providers app, it unblocks all websites but when i connect through my router with the Hybrid VPN, the sites that were blocked by my ISP remain blocked. Any idea why? There is no DNS or IPV6 leak. 

Message 4 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How do you have the VPN setup for the device you're using and what is the device?
Message 5 of 26
Marc_Marc
Apprentice

They have a native android app and if I use that everything works just fine with the same IP. 

Message 6 of 26
Marc_Marc
Apprentice

They have a native android app and if I use that everything works fine. 

Message 7 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I mean on the VPN Hybrid, what device do you have added? Do you have it set to Do Not VPN these services or Only VPN these services? If the latter what service have you added?
Message 8 of 26
Marc_Marc
Apprentice

I have my laptop added. Set to do not VPN these services. 

Message 9 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay so that does VPN the whole device. Can you confirm it has changed IP for that device?
Message 10 of 26
Marc_Marc
Apprentice

Confirmed, it has hanged the IP for the whole device. 

Message 11 of 26
Marc_Marc
Apprentice

Hi it did change the IP for the whole device. But it still doesn't work right no clue why... 

Message 12 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

For your PC is in the Network Adapter settings is it setup to use a static DNS?
Message 13 of 26
Marc_Marc
Apprentice

not using a PC on a chromebook. 

Message 14 of 26
Marc_Marc
Apprentice

I can give you remote teamviewer access so you can better understand the problem?? 

Message 15 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm not to familiar with Chromebooks, are you able to access any network settings? I understand the issue, I think this may be an issue to do with the feature itself so I will need to pass this on to one of our developers to take a look at.
Message 16 of 26
Marc_Marc
Apprentice

I can but i don't think the problem is specific to my chromebook, the same problem persits on my android phone and tablet as well. 

Message 17 of 26
Marc_Marc
Apprentice

Tried the same vpn with my DD-WRT router. Everything works fine. This is definitely a DumoOS problem. Are you guys going to fix this? When will you release a fix? Also do you have a beta program?

Message 18 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The team need to first reproduce the issue and diagnose the problem. We can't give estimations on future releases unfortunately. We don't have an existing beta program for the NPG routers, that would be down to Netgear
Message 19 of 26
Marc_Marc
Apprentice

Hmm. So essentially I am stuck with a router that doesn't work properly!!!!!!

Message 20 of 26
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Bugs happen! But I can confirm we are working on a fix for this.

In the meantime, could you set your DNS to something secure like Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 ?

Thanks

Message 21 of 26
Marc_Marc
Apprentice

Thanks that's all I needed to hear. Great to know you are working on the fix. I have set it to cloud flare and google but the issue persists. For now I just used my old router with Dd-wrt. But a fix would be much appreciated.
Message 22 of 26
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the nice words and it's very helpful to know you are affected so we know what to prioritise. Devs are working on a fix as a type Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 26
ShadowYoda
Aspirant

Hi I just wanted to add that I am having this same issue on my desktop.  I have tried adding the settings as well to my configuration and they did not work.  I also tried routing my dns requests to cloudflare servers but I still get dns leaks.  If I use the desktop app made by expressVpn the dns leaks go away.  Let me know if there is more info I can give to help out, I have been waiting on this firmware update for a while :D.

Message 24 of 26
Marc_Marc
Apprentice

ShadowYoda, I have been waiting for the firmware update for a while as well doesn't seem like it's coming but I found 2 work arounds for the problem both involve dd-wrt.
1. This is the method I use and recommend. Take your old router flash dd-wrt on it. You can pretty much do everything on dd-wrt that you can do on the Xr500. If you have used dd-wrt before I am sure you know. You can use ip routing to select which devices should use the VPN and which ones don't. You have to assign the devices a static ip on dd-wrt. All this is really easy to do and takes 15 mins. In addition if you want to use the xr500 just run an Ethernet cable from your Modem to the xr500 in port and then one out to your old dd-wrt router with the VPN on it. Now you have the gaming goodness of the xr500 and the VPN on your old one. You can even manage how much bandwidth your VPN devices can use through netduma. Just connect the devices you want on VPN to the old router and the gaming console to your xr500. Best of both worlds 😛
In case you don't have your old router anymore just buy the r6400 it's a cheap ($26) excellent router with great range and plays well with Dd-wrt.

https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-R6400-AC1750-Router-R6400-100NAS/dp/B078LL23M1/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keyword...

The dd-wrt firmware ftp just find your router.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/04-16-2019-r39538/

2. Flash dd-wrt on your XR500, you can pretty much do everything on dd-wrt that you can do on the Xr500.
Message 25 of 26
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7