× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Hybrid VPN: Will there be additional built-in options other than PureVPN and Hidemyass?

XR500 Hybrid VPN: Will there be additional built-in options other than PureVPN and Hidemyass?

I love the Hybrid VPN feature, but both PureVPN and Hidemyass don't have very good ratings/reviews. I know you can use the custom/advanced settings and put in an OpenVPN config file for other VPN providers, but the problem with this is that the config file is static and connects you to only one VPN host, as far as I can determine. E.g., if you use a NordVPN config file, you have to download one which has only one server. If that server is congested, full or down, then your VPN will not perform well or at all.

I am assuming the PureVPN and Hidemyass built-in VPNs are dynamic (not sure if this is really the case). However, these VPN providers have pretty bad cons, whereas NordVPN doesn't.

Is it possible (or are there plans) to add NordVPN to the built-in providers? Or is there a way to use an OpenVPN config file for Nord to be dynamic? Or perhaps, if Nord is not possible, add a built-in provider that isn't trashed in reviews like Pure and HMA?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 2
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 Hybrid VPN: Will there be additional built-in options other than PureVPN and Hidemyass?

Hi Robert, the current VPN providers are not dynamic, you would still have to change the servers manually if needed. It's definitely easy to change servers when the VPN is built in, although the config it should just be a one line change. I don't want to promise anything, we need to obtain licenses to have the VPN built in. If this is something we can obtain from other providers in the future then we could look to implement them.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7