× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 - I gve up :(

PieCaptain
Guide

XR500 - I gve up :(

well, I've had the XR500 for almost a year now, and I think it's time to give up

The random factory resets have started again. Twice in 2 days. 

I'm not sure what else to do, there have been no firmware updates for a while, so i feel like netgear have given up on it too

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 13
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Netgear haven't given up on the XR500, on any of the Nighthawk Pro Gaming series of routers. DumaOS 3.0 will be coming this year and it will be a massive upgrade.

Message 2 of 13
PieCaptain
Guide

do you know when?

and is it likely to resolve the weird issues i've been having?
(random factory resets, sometimes unable to boot properly with the ethernet cables plugged in aong others)

incidentally, i've had another factory reset since posting this

Message 3 of 13
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

I can't say when it will be coming but we're entering closed beta very soon, so that should give you an idea.

Wether or not it fixes your problem depends on why it's occuring. Random restarts sounds like it might be caused by something hardware related, perhaps to do with the router recieving random spikes and dips in power. If the problem is software related then it's likely to be fixed as DumaOS 3.0 overhauls much of what's already in the system, as well as adding more features.

Message 4 of 13
PieCaptain
Guide

It's not just restarts, the unit actually does a factory reset

Is there any opportunity to get on to the beta to see if it resolves my issues? 

Message 5 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How do you have the router plugged into the power? Is it using an extender or directly into a wall outlet? If an extender could you try with the wall outlet please. It may also be worth having a look to see if the reset button in the back is stuck in a pressed position. Alex has been collecting names so will pass yours on, it's not a guarantee.
Message 6 of 13
PieCaptain
Guide

"How do you have the router plugged into the power? Is it using an extender or directly into a wall outlet? If an extender could you try with the wall outlet please."

It is on an extension lead, but none of the other devices on that extesion hve power issues, but i will try

"It may also be worth having a look to see if the reset button in the back is stuck in a pressed position.

I shall check next time it has a problem, i don't want to rock the boat 🙂

"Alex has been collecting names so will pass yours on, it's not a guarantee."

Great, thank you

Message 7 of 13
da_blow_smuggle
Aspirant

I was having this issue I fixed mine by downgrading firmware the latest firmware is bugged
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 8 of 13
PieCaptain
Guide

I had issues ith the previous firmware too 😞

I've logged 3 tickets with netgear on this, they don't get back to you and keep closing the tickets, i need to call them again, it's finding the time.

The don't respond to the tickets themselves and then close them after 48 hours 😞

Message 9 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you haven't already please sign up here for the beta: http://www.netgearinnovation.com/dumaos-beta/index.html hopefully when/if you get access that will resolve the issues you've been having.
Message 10 of 13
PieCaptain
Guide

Alex added me to the Beta back in January, but i've not heard anything yet

Message 11 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd recommend you still sign up there because there is more information requested in the form than what Alex would have asked for at the time.
Message 12 of 13
PieCaptain
Guide

Sorry just seen your reply

I gave up giving up and I finally got a replacement unit from netgear!

So far it's been working perfectly

I have downloaed he Beta though and will give it a try 

Thanks

Paul

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7