× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Internet Connection Drop

GrizzlyAdams
Guide

XR500 Internet Connection Drop

I have a xr500 that has been ramdomply dropping internet connection. Firware version V2.3.2.18. When conntion has bben lost I have unplugged my computer and plugged the computer directily into the modem and it works fine. 

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 14
dglsmcd_USMC
Luminary

This is what worked for me when I encountered random reboots-first off upgrade your firmware to V2.3.2.22 via the administration drop down menu (firmware upgrade then click on check). After you have upgraded the firmware please do a hard reset-with the router plugged in press in and hold the reset button in for at least 15 seconds-the router will reboot in about 2 minutes. Now you have ensured that the new firmware has fully taken effect login into the router via your web browser at 192.168.1.1. Go throught the automated steps to setup your internet connection with your modem and when it gets to the wireless portion uncheck the box which enables smart connect-you should have two wireless connections (SSID's)-one for 2.4 GHz and one for 5 GHz. Take full advantage of the video(s) to get the most out of your XR500: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/A-thorough-setup-and-walk-through-vide...

Addendum: During the automated bandwidth detection you will see two speeds (upload and download) that your router detected, manually edit these numbers to reflect 2MB higher than the speed you are supposed to receive from your ISP (internet service provider). This helped me get the speeds I was suppposed to be getting from my ISP-in other words you don't want the router throttling your bandwidth.

Message 2 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've sent you a PM with firmware that should fix the drop issues.
Message 3 of 14
opie11
Tutor

Could I also get this firmware fix?  Just got the router today.  It's running 2.3.2.22 and dropping internet every 10-15 minutes.  Thanks in advance.

Message 4 of 14
Visual
Aspirant

I'm also having the same issue here. The router will be fine for hours and then decides not to work. The modem never drops off or loses ip. I also work for the same ISP provider as i have in my home and have checked several times just incase it was on my end. Updated firmware and still happens. Sometimes it lasts for hours, sometimes not so long. Could this be a firmware issue as well?

Message 5 of 14
opie11
Tutor

A quick follow up. For troubleshooting purposes, I connected the WAN port on the XR500 to an open ethernet port on my old router that is connected to my DSL modem.  It has held the connection so far without dropping.  Not much of a long term solution, but it may help with pinning down the problem.  It would be ironic if the problem is with negotiating with the modem directly as it is also a Netgear product.  I would still like to try the firmware fix if possible. 

Message 6 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've sent you both the firmware to try.
Message 7 of 14
opie11
Tutor

Flashed the firmware and it's working great so far.  Thanks so much Fraser!

Message 8 of 14
opie11
Tutor

Well, it appears that I spoke to soon.  Just dropped out again.  Will try a factory reset and see if that helps.

Message 9 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yeah factory reset to make sure no legacy issues and turn off auto update so it doesn't update you off the fix firmware
Message 10 of 14
opie11
Tutor

The factory reset didn't work, so I tried something a little different.  I changed the default assigned IP from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.10.x.  My DSL modem uses 192.168.1.254 for admin and I thought maybe there was some kind of conflict going on maybe with DHCP.  So far it's working, but too early to tell for sure.  It's been on for about an hour steaming youtube with no problems.  Time will tell 🙂

Message 11 of 14
scushing529
Aspirant

My router is dropping the connection and seems to be rebooting randomly during the day, sometimes a dozen or more times and according to my Net Uptimemonitor it will drop and come back about 2 minutes later for no reason. I do play PC games but often the internet connection will just drop out of nowhere even while not gaming. Has there been a fix for this issue? I ran the NUM connected directly to the modem for a day and did not have the same issues as I do when connected to the router. All devices lose internet when this happens.

Spectrum ISP

Current Firmware:

XR500 V2.3.2.22
Message 12 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sent you a PM
Message 13 of 14
GrizzlyAdams
Guide