× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Internet Connection Drop

Lashn
Aspirant

XR500 Internet Connection Drop

I'm having so much problems with my new XR500 gaming router! 

First of all it is not helping my internet connection and it is causing lag! 

I have the router connected to my FRITZBOX modem via ethernet cable and modem connected into the phone jack via ADSL in line filter splitter.

My FRITZBOX Modem gets better connection than my brand spanking new XR500 gaming router 

On top of this my DumaOS website isn't under htttps it is under www. so it is not private i'm really considering about using my warranty and taking it back it was working fine the first few days then it just started being horrible. Surely i am missing something? perhaps a tutorial on youtube or something may help 

Firmware Version V2.3.2.32
Message 1 of 3
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 Internet Connection Drop

Hi Lashn, it sounds like it is setup incorrectly as you would definitely see a benefit using the router.

HTTPS is not required, the interface is accessed locally. Only people connected to your network can access it. You are also not inputting any sensitive information.

Here is our knowledge base with guides to follow: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/16000056291 of course we're happy to answer any other questions you may have after following them.
Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: XR500 Internet Connection Drop

@Lashn wrote:

I have the router connected to my FRITZBOX modem via ethernet cable and modem connected into the phone jack via ADSL in line filter splitter.

My FRITZBOX Modem gets better connection than my brand spanking new XR500 gaming router  

As there are no pure AVM FritzBox Modem - please let us know if you are running the FritzBox as a router with NAT or if it's configured to bridge mode only providing Modem functionality and you terminate the DSL (typically a PPPoE encapsulation, sometimes with authentication) on the XR500.

If the XR500 is connected behind of another NAT router, it won't be able to make much advantage with it's capabilities.

@Lashn wrote:

On top of this my DumaOS website isn't under htttps it is under www. so it is not private 

www.routerlogin.net or routerlogin.net or routerlogin.com or routerlogin.com are'nt refering to a site on the Internet, it's your router on the very same LAN. For consumer or SOHO purposes, one can consider a local (W)LAN reasonably secure. Of course it would be nice if Netgear would wake up and https enable all product Web interfaces. But for this they have to go away from the portal-like capturing of the domains - which is simply not possible if using https.

By the way, this always was the same - until the browser makers decided to add some security warnings - and most users have never cared about it before, too.

Technically, Netgear would have to move to a DNS based capturing, ideally on a "private" domain which can be served on a very short DNS lifetime - something similar to what AVM is using with the fritz.box - however, this would require changing design, code, documentation, and support training. Amazing this hasn't happened while bringing DumaOS to the Netgear platforms. 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7