× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Internet Connectivity Dropping and Matchmaking Issues

OGvenom
Guide

XR500 Internet Connectivity Dropping and Matchmaking Issues

Purchased the XR500 on 10/18 from Best Buy. I set it up pretty much out of the box, outside of configuring SSID and passwords. It worked flawlessly from day one and then all of a sudden yesterday, things are starting to act up.

For both wired and wireless devices connected to the router, internect connection drops (note, devices still are connected to network). This was an issue with my previous NG router (old!) but I chalked it up to having too many devices and the CPU couldn't handle it.

The other issue is that when things are normal and there is internet connectivity, no device can do any sort of matchmaking. When trying to enter a match in Call of Duty on the Xbox, it either won't connect to matchmaking OR it will connect but then seconds into the game it will lag me out. This also occurs when PC gaming and trying to enter matches on different games. Netflix, YouTube, Microsoft Store, etc all work totally fine but as soon as you want to play something online, you can't.

I've done countless searching online and even on this community. All firmware is up to date. I'm baffled and at a loss because it worked totally fine for almost 2 weeks and then all of a sudden, issues ensue... Hoping someone can help me narrow down what is going on?

Many thanks in advance!

Brandon

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7
OGvenom
Guide

Re: XR500 Internet Connectivity Dropping and Matchmaking Issues

***One thing to add related to the Xbox matchmaking issues

When I go into the Xbox network settings and test the multiplayer connection and NAT type, it tells me it can't obtain a Teredo IP address. I researched this and followed Microsoft's steps on how to correct this issue. Those steps were turning off UPNP, rebooting xbox/modem/router, turning on UPNP, rebooting everything again, and then would fix the issue... It seemed to have momentarily but then back to the original issue.

Thanks!

B

Message 2 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear you're having these issues. Regarding the disconnects I would recommend giving the router itself a static IP in Internet Setup, as well as giving the devices themselves static/reserved IPs in LAN Settings. If DHCP lease time is causing it then that should resolve it.

Regarding matchmaking, you said everything was working for two weeks. Is there anything that happened around that time on your setup that changed? What is your physical setup? Is your ISP router in modem mode or do you have the XR500 in it's DMZ? These would be required to get an open NAT, resolve that teredo error and hopefully fix the matchmaking issues.
Message 3 of 7
OGvenom
Guide

Thanks for the response and sorry for my delay! I will try to make those changes at some point this afternoon to see if it helps any.

My physical setup is Arris SB8200 Modem > XR500 router. It just seems that the XR500 isn't playing nice with anything or only certain things it wants to.

I work from home alot where I VPN to work. Certain webpages within my work's intranet will load while others will not. This is acting like the matchmaking issues I said about before.

I just did some more troubleshooting and think all fingers are pointed at the XR500 router. I have a different/older netgear router and plugged it in, totally removing the XR500 from the equation. I can now get to all things I couldn't before with my work VPN.

Again, I'll try to make those changes you suggested this afternoon when I have the chance... At the risk of sounding blunt, can I ask if I'm in the wrong for assuming I can purchase a perfromance router in 2019 without having to perform advanced setup? I use advanced because I'm the only one in my household that knows what a modem and router is.

Thanks!
B
Message 4 of 7
OGvenom
Guide

Well, I spoke too soon....

Minutes after I posted my last response (4) the other router started to act up the same way now. Maybe things are pointing to the modem? It is a newer modem, which is why I haven't pointed the finger to it yet. Arris SB8200, DOCSIS 3.1... cream of the crop from what I understood when I purchased it maybe over a year ago, no more than 2 years.

I'll try swapping this today... I did have my cable company here Friday testing everything. Outside of some loose connections that were fixed, everything was ok on their end.
Message 5 of 7
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Interesting. As you say, if the same thing is happening with another router, then the common element seems to be the modem...

Message 6 of 7
OGvenom
Guide

Modem it is. Purchased a Netgear CM1200 and havent had any issues all week.

Super appreciate the support from you guys on here, even though it ended up not being what I originally thought.

Thanks Again!
B
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7