× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Internet speed Problem

Stykee
Guide

XR500 Internet speed Problem

So i bought mt XR500 router just a week ago, and i started to notice that am getting very slow internet speed compare to my ISP router?!?! 

I dont know what the problem is i tried everything turning the Anti buffer to (never), all i get is just a little boost of speed. I mess with the Bandwidth still no change. I honestly dont know what the problem is, but when i use my ISP router i get the speed that im paying for.

XR500 Router SpeedXR500 Router SpeedISP Router Speed.ISP Router Speed.

Can anyone help me with this problem.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 41

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Disable QoS completely from Anti-Bufferbloats options, do you receive full speed then? I'm assuming these are wired and not wireless speed tests?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 41

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Disable QoS completely from Anti-Bufferbloats options, do you receive full speed then? I'm assuming these are wired and not wireless speed tests?
Message 2 of 41
Stykee
Guide

Yes their both wired connection. and yes ive already disable the Anti-bufferbloat, i set it to (Never).

Message 3 of 41
Stykee
Guide

Nvm you just solved my problem lol. What does Disabling the QoS do anyway?

Message 4 of 41
Stykee
Guide

Speed with QoS full disable.Speed with QoS full disable.Fully Disabling QoS seem to fix my problem

Message 5 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It completely disables QoS so it does not control your connection anymore, sometimes it can be required to gain full speeds. Send a screenshot of your normal QoS settings to be sure its not a settings issue.
Message 6 of 41
Stykee
Guide

2.png

Message 7 of 41
Stykee
Guide

those are my setting, ive already disable QoS

Message 8 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Firstly make sure share excess is enabled for both Bandwidth Allocation download and upload. Then remove the manual rule you added to Traffic Prioritization. Enable QoS again and set to never then redo the test
Message 9 of 41
Stykee
Guide

Speed went back to how is was.7720028117

Message 10 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I can't see the picture at the moment, hasn't been moderated. As in it fixed it or back to slow speeds?
Message 11 of 41
Stykee
Guide

Yes it went back to tthe slow speed

Message 12 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you using PPPoE, VLAN or IPv6 on the XR500?
Message 13 of 41
Stykee
Guide

idk what those are.

Message 14 of 41
Stykee
Guide

for the IPv6 i have it set to auto, before it was set to nothing and i still had low speed

Message 15 of 41
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Is your modem in bridge mode or modem mode by any chance? The fact your speed is halved cannot be a coincidence - I have previously heard of some modems halving speeds when they're in this mode.

If you set your modem back to normal mode, do speeds return to normal through the XR500?

Another possible cause, do you have PPPoE enabled on your XR500?

Message 16 of 41
Stykee
Guide

idk. when i bought the modem is how it was setup to my internet. i didnt mess with the PPPoE. the modem was setup how i bought it. 

Message 17 of 41
Stykee
Guide

3.png

Message 18 of 41
Stykee
Guide

thats what i have found. 

Message 19 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can you change that to disabled and see if that resolves it please?
Message 20 of 41
Stykee
Guide

i just have and im still having the issue. i might just keep the QoS disable and ill get my speed

Message 21 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've sent you a beta firmware via PM. Its not meant for this issue but please see if that resolves it.
Message 22 of 41
Roadrunner79
Guide

Hello I'm crunkjuice1 over on your net Duma site. Is there a way I can try that as well? All day today I been digging through forums and I'm in the same boat. QOS off and my speeds almost return to normal. The upload is very close but the download is cut in half. I thought it was my pc was old but something in QOS is doing it. Netgear unfortunately has a bit of a history with this throughout the years across a few model routers. We been chasing each other across the internet Fraser. its late for me have work in the am but I'll keep you posted Monday afternoon. Remember I told you my connection was similar to the 20% speeds? With QOS off DL 400 mbps UL 900 mbps. Turn QOS back on and everything gets cut down hard. I'm trying to remember when my netgear X8 was like this QOS was affecting the WAN port. I don't think netgear ever got it right as even though primitive my X8 is its QOS ended up staying turned off.
Model: XR700| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 23 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Road/crunk, I've sent you a PM with the firmware.
Message 24 of 41
Basiu1
Initiate

V2.3.2.32 fix my connection drop problem but download speed cut half, if there is other beta firmware out, would like to give it a try thx

Message 25 of 41
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7