× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Internet speed Problem

jteagles
Tutor

XR500 Internet speed Problem

Hey guys,

Since Ive started using the XR500 my internet speed has nearly been cut in half.I was getting 75-80 mbps with the isp router but now Im getting around 45.Ive disabled Qos, Ive tried the modem in router+modem mode and modem only mode, basically Ive tried everything Ive found on this site from people with the same problem.Has anyone solved this problem that I might have missed? 

Btw Im using the DM200 in modem+router mode with the XR500.I did try the DM200 on its own without the XR500 and was getting around 33mbps. 

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 11
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 Internet speed Problem

Hi - it sounds like you may have a problem elsewhere if you're getting just 33mbps into the modem. Are you able to switch your ISP modem back in and then connect your XR500 to that? You should hopefully be back to full speeds then.

Message 2 of 11
jteagles
Tutor

Ok great I’ll give that a try. Didn’t even think of that 😀. Would I have to configure the isp router or just plug the router straight into it ?
Thanks
Message 3 of 11
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

So long as the ISP modem has an Internet connection, you should just need to plug straight into it. Your XR500 will probably need a reboot that's all.

If you're not getting an Open NAT, this guide will help: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000076587-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-open...

Message 4 of 11
jteagles
Tutor

Ok thanks a lot. How will I know if I’ve not got an open nat ?
Message 5 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The connection/speed test on the console will tell you. If PS NAT Type 2 is open
Message 6 of 11
jteagles
Tutor

Oh sorry I thought you meant on router. Yeah ps4 nat is on 2 so that’s all good. Just got home so will update when I’ve tried the isp router with xr500
Message 7 of 11
jteagles
Tutor

Hey netduma

So I done that and didnt get a connection at all.I plugged my vodafone router back in and spoke to them about the speed and they said there was a line fault and sorted it out.So ive setup the dm200 and xr500 again and again my speed has cut in half.Its even taking about 2-3 minutes longer to connect to fortnite on the ps4 than it is using the isp router.Its too much of a coincidence that all this has happened since i got the modem and router so Im packing it up, getting a refund and going back to the isp router as its more hassle than its worth.Shame as I was looking forward to it all working and having a great setup but its obviously for someone with a lot more knowledge about this stuff than Ive got haha.Its certainly not as simple as the manua makes out.Anyway thanks for your time and help its much appreciated.

Message 8 of 11
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Ok - sorry to hear that. I would recommend you keep your XR500 for now as I really doubt that was the cause of the reduced speeds. It's more likely that it was your new modem that was not fully compatible for some reason (but it's up to you of course)

Message 9 of 11
rakano77
Aspirant

Hi - it sounds like you may have a problem elsewhere if you're getting just 33mbps into the modem. Are you able to switch your ISP modem back in and then connect your XR500 to that? You should hopefully be back to full speeds then.

Message 10 of 11
rakano77
Aspirant

Hi - it sounds like you may have a problem elsewhere if you're getting just 33mbps into the modem. Are you able to switch your ISP modem back in and then connect your XR500 to that? You should hopefully be back to full speeds then. DigitalOcean  SiteGround iPage 

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7