× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Issues

davemarsden132
Follower

XR500 Issues

Hi,

I have just bought the XR500 router and have been having major issues with it. I'm not sure if its something i have set up or if its something wrong with the router so any help would be great. Below are the issues.

1) WIFI device's where taking a good while to connect to the router at the start. So like when i pressed connect on my mobile it would take a good 30 seconds to connect to the wifi... Usually on my other routers i have had it is instant thats with the ISP Router and also other routers (Netgear also)

2) Just now i unplugged the router to put the ISP router back in, now it is saying cannot find IP address. Then i just checked again now and pressed forget connection and reconnect and it has connected.

3) I renamed the router to the same as what all my devices have been connected to ''Marsden-5'' Normally when i swap router all my devices connect automatically. Now some have and some havent. Also when i try to connect one of my YI Cameras it says WIFI times out and cannot connect to this router.

4) When i run a speed test i am getting 18ms ping which i believe when online gaming PS4 that is too high. I should be after approx 8ms max apparently 

5) When i try to set my PS4 settings to do custom, i create my own IP for the PS4 192.168.1.15 - I choose my own DNS server 8.8.4.4 i also put in the ISP 192.168.1.1 etc into the setup. This setting connects fine to the PS4. It says connected and runs a speed test which is pretty slow. I pay for 900mbps my PC gets 900mbps but the PS4 says about 40mbps which is weird. Even on auto setup for LAN it says the same. 

- If i run AUTO LAN - It takes AGES to connect, like a good 30 seconds - With the ISP router it connects instantly and runs the test. This router takes 30 seconds to connect to it.

- If i run CUSTOM LAN - Write my own IP - It connects to PS4 after 30 seconds but then my games cannot find the internet. 

Its asif the router is struggling to find the internet from the ISP.... 

I want my PS4 to have its own IP address so that i can go into the routers settings and make it high priority in QOS etc.

My ISP is BT Fibre to the property

I pay for 900mbps

I have input bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT in for ISP login.

Im really struggling here to sort this router - i run auto setup also and not custom setup when setting up the router.

Hope anyone can help!

Cheers

Dave

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: XR500 Issues

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What happens if you put the ISP router back online as the host router, then connect the XR router to this host router. I would walk thru the setup wizard on the XR router after you do this. The Host route maybe using same default IP address of 192.168.1.1 so the XR setup wizard should detect this and change the XR router to use something else if this is the case. 

If you can get the XR router setup with the ISP router, use the ISP routers DMZ for the XR routers WAN IP address. 

Message 2 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Disable Smart Connect on WiFi and see if that helps with connecting to it properly. Where are you doing this speed test? Ping can be different for everyone and so a generic max 8ms rule isn't practical and you can certainly have good games higher than this. Make a reserved IP for the console in LAN Settings, don't do it on the console. Also DNS won't give you a better connection. Console speed tests can be inaccurate so if the PC is getting good speed then no need to worry.
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@davemarsden132 wrote:

Hi,

I have just bought the XR500 router and have been having major issues with it. I'm not sure if its something i have set up or if its something wrong with the router so any help would be great. Below are the issues.

1) WIFI device's where taking a good while to connect to the router at the start. So like when i pressed connect on my mobile it would take a good 30 seconds to connect to the wifi... Usually on my other routers i have had it is instant thats with the ISP Router and also other routers (Netgear also)

2) Just now i unplugged the router to put the ISP router back in, now it is saying cannot find IP address. Then i just checked again now and pressed forget connection and reconnect and it has connected.

3) I renamed the router to the same as what all my devices have been connected to ''Marsden-5'' Normally when i swap router all my devices connect automatically. Now some have and some havent. Also when i try to connect one of my YI Cameras it says WIFI times out and cannot connect to this router.

4) When i run a speed test i am getting 18ms ping which i believe when online gaming PS4 that is too high. I should be after approx 8ms max apparently 

5) When i try to set my PS4 settings to do custom, i create my own IP for the PS4 192.168.1.15 - I choose my own DNS server 8.8.4.4 i also put in the ISP 192.168.1.1 etc into the setup. This setting connects fine to the PS4. It says connected and runs a speed test which is pretty slow. I pay for 900mbps my PC gets 900mbps but the PS4 says about 40mbps which is weird. Even on auto setup for LAN it says the same. 

- If i run AUTO LAN - It takes AGES to connect, like a good 30 seconds - With the ISP router it connects instantly and runs the test. This router takes 30 seconds to connect to it.

- If i run CUSTOM LAN - Write my own IP - It connects to PS4 after 30 seconds but then my games cannot find the internet. 

Its asif the router is struggling to find the internet from the ISP.... 

I want my PS4 to have its own IP address so that i can go into the routers settings and make it high priority in QOS etc.

My ISP is BT Fibre to the property

I pay for 900mbps

I have input bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT in for ISP login.

Im really struggling here to sort this router - i run auto setup also and not custom setup when setting up the router.

Hope anyone can help!

Cheers

Dave

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7