× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Keeps Reseting

Csunde1993
Aspirant

XR500 Keeps Reseting

Internet Randomly drops out and router will reset multiple times.  Any Solution for this. It seems like many people are having this issue with this router.  Perhaps Restoring to a previous software will fix it?  Thoughts please.  Thanks.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 Keeps Reseting

Are you saying the router does a factory reset by itself? Do you have the router plugged into a power extender? If so plug it directly into a wall outlet and see if that helps at all. Does the internet drop on wired or wireless devices or both? Are you on the latest firmware then?
Message 2 of 11
Csunde1993
Aspirant

It doesn't do a Factory Reset. It just reboots itself and the power light stays on. And it will do this 4 or 5 times in a row.   I do have it plugged into a power extender so i will try plugging it directly into an outlet.  Internet drops on both wireless and wired connections.  I have the newest firmware update installed V2.3.2.56  

Message 3 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay that could be due to the extender, I don't think it deals well in those circumstances. How long does it drop out for? Does it come back on its own or do you need to reboot the router? Try giving a few devices static/reserved IPs in LAN Settings and see if next time it happens if those devices go offline as well. When it happens if you connect to the modem do you still have internet?
Message 4 of 11
NBTF
Aspirant

I am seeing the same issue with mine that is only 2 weeks old.  Running firmware V2.3.2.56 and plugged into a 450VA 600W UPS by itself.  It will reboot on its own and will come back after a few minutes.  Wired and wireless connections lose connection and network capability.  

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 5 of 11
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

If the unit is totally rebooting and not just losing connection, that would suggest a hardware issue. If you're certain it's nothing to do with the power supply, it might be worth contacting netgear support directly to ask about a replacement.

Message 6 of 11
Csunde1993
Aspirant

Drops for about a minute and then comes back up.  Usually drops again shortly after the first reboot (about 30seconds) and contuines to do this a few more times. I don't need to reboot the router it is doing that on its own.  I tried the static/reserved ips in the past and that did not help.  Modem still has connection.  

Message 7 of 11
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

So it doesn't lose power, just connection?

Message 8 of 11
Csunde1993
Aspirant

Correct. It is not loseing power.  The orange light stays lit.  

Message 9 of 11
Csunde1993
Aspirant

I mean it might be losing power for a split second. I don't know how one could tell.  It appears to just be reseting itself.  

Message 10 of 11
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Well if you're certain that it's rebooting and not just losing connection, then it's probably a hardware issue. It might be worth downgrading to a previous firmware just to see if anything changes, but I doubt it. You can get an old one here: https://kb.netgear.com/000060464/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-40

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7