× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 LAN IP DHCP glitching out

That_GamerYT
Apprentice

XR500 LAN IP DHCP glitching out

So occasionally (Usually 3-14 days uptime), the router stops assigning LAN IPs. Usually first, I can no longer access the DUMA OS interface from LAN. Then the internet stops working and I can't visit anything except 1.1.1.1 (Which happens to be my primary DNS server for the router in internet setup). Then the LAN IP of everything (WiFi and Ethernet) go away. However, I still have internet access from the router as I'm still able to remotely access the router with the "Remote Management" feature using my iPhone while connected to my cellular data (I always use a VPN during remote access to keep the login credentials and my WAN IP encrypted). So I think that proves that it's a LAN issue and not a WAN/ISP issue. The solution is usually to just change the routers LAN IP from 192.168.8.1 to 192.168.1.1 (Or any other number) and then change it back to 192.168.8.1 after that. However, while that lasted good for about a week, after that, almost half of the R-Apps were taking longer to load than expected. I clicked "Ok" on the notification and waited 30+ minutes while I was eating dinner and it was still loading when I came back so I had to reboot the router. Rebooting the router always fixes the problem, but it's not ideal to have to reboot the router that often. Today was a litle bit different. The router stopped assigning LAN IPs for like 5 minutes and then it would fix itself. Then 10 minutes later, it did it again and then fixed itself again. Once I got an IP, I logged in and tried going to Hybrid VPN and then it gave me a message saying "Uncaught SecurityError: Blocked a frame with origin "http://192.168.8.1" from accessing a cross-origin frame." and then I got completly locked out of the router (Meaning "192.168.8.1 took too long to respond"). I always access the interface from LAN on Ethernet so it's not a guest network issue. Here's my "LAN Setup" configuration:

Device name: XR500

IP Address: 192.168.8.1

IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

RIP Direction: Both

RIP Version: Disabled

Use Router as DHCP server: 

Starting IP address: 192.168.8.2

Ending IP address: 192.168.8.23

I have IP reservations all the way from 192.168.8.2-192.168.8.23 and it has all of my devices' MAC addresses and no I'm not using random hardware address/MAC spoofing on my devices so that's not the issue. IPV6 is also disabled.

Also, is this the issue I might be dealing with?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-intermittent-network-issues/td-p...

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 12
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear this, thanks for including all these details though, that's very helpful!

What firmware version are you currently running?

The latest DumaOS 3.0 beta firmware currently has a fix implemented for an issue that sounds very similar to yours, so it could be worth you upgrading to this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3oeb6dw25ngmwm/XR500-V2.3.2.120.zip?dl=0

I'd advise you factory reset after upgrading firmware as it clears out any low-level code left over from the previous firmware. Apologies for  any inconvenience caused, I understand this may be a bit of a hassle to set everything up again.

Message 2 of 12
That_GamerYT
Apprentice

I'm on V2.3.2.114 but how do I upgrade to the beta? I see 2 files. Which one is the beta?

Message 3 of 12
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Sorry I should've been clearer, download the .img file, it's ~37mb in size.

Then do the following:

1. Open up your web browser and go to http://www.routerlogin.net.
  2. Log into your XR500 using the admin username and password.
  3. Click Settings > Administration > Firmware Upgrade page.
  4. Click Browser and locate the firmware image file.
  5. Click Upload.
  6. Wait for the firmware upgrade to complete.

I'd reccomend also factory resetting after the upgrade to ensure you're starting from a clean slate.

Message 4 of 12
That_GamerYT
Apprentice

Ok. I'll update it when I have enough time to upgrade and put all my settings back, etc, and then I''ll let you guys know. Also, how stable is the beta? Are the glitches like really bad or are they just minor? I don't really care how stable the new features are I just care that the legacy ones work and that my IPs won't glitch out. So since I'm upgrading this firmware manually, will I have to manually upgrade for future ones that come out or will the "Check for new version from the Internet." option work as well? Since this is a beta, I'm just wondering if things like that are different.

Message 5 of 12
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

No problem, let us know how you get on!

This beta seems to be pretty good from what we've heard so far! Of course if this doesn't seem to be the case for you, you can always downgrade back to whatever worked best for you previously.

Message 6 of 12
That_GamerYT
Apprentice

Sounds good. When I do the factory reset, should I do it from DUMA OS, or should I do it using the real life button on the router?
Message 7 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@That_GamerYT I usually recommend doing so from the interface if you have access and the button if for some reason you don't
Message 8 of 12
That_GamerYT
Apprentice

I'm on Traffic Prioritization and I noticed someting new. Whenever I add a rule that's "Basic" or "Advanced" it asks me to choose the traffic type. I'm adding a game so I chose Gaming/Voice. What do the other options do that's different? Also, if I check apply to WAN, will it still apply to my LAN too?

Message 9 of 12
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

The traffic type specifically applies to QoS over wireless, this doesn't affect wired devices. The wireless standard eseentially includes different priority channels so we take advantage of this for QoS. Apply to WAN appends the priority tags to priority traffic as it goes out the WAN, it's not necessarily measurable whether the next hop will do anything with this priorirty tag, but there's no harm in trying it!

Message 10 of 12
That_GamerYT
Apprentice

Alright so the beta definetely fixed the IP assignment glitch. However, this time, although my devices still had IPs (And still had access to the Router from LAN), I lost internet access (And I'm pretty sure I lost local communication as well because my PS4 share play lost connection when that happened). What's werid is that when this happened, I was playing a game, and I had traffic priotritization on that game. My game was still connected, but any other device/service wouldn't work. As soon as I disabled that traffic prioritization rule, my game instantly lost connection. I then changed the DNS server from "1.1.1.1" "8.8.8.8" "1.0.0.1" to "Get Automatically from ISP" and then the connection came back on. I'm not sure why this happens, but it's kind of weird. This on the beta though so this is expected. The Router still has internet connection because connection benchmark still works.

Message 11 of 12
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for letting us know!

Do you still notice this issue if you completely disable QoS from the three-line menu in Congestion Control?

I'm not sure why DNS would've had an affect here but perhaps change it back to what you had before so we know we're only changing one variable at a time during troubleshooting.

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7