× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 - LAN ports go down daily - Reboot fixes issue

XR500 - LAN ports go down daily - Reboot fixes issue

I am running a Netgear Nighthawk XR500 Gaming router connected directly to a Cisco DPC3008 modem. My PC is plugged into a Netgear GS105 Gigabit switch which is plugged into a LAN port of the router but I have 3 other devices plugged directly into the LAN ports as well. Daily, the ports on the router go down. I am still able to use Wifi with no issues at all but every device hardwired in (server, xbox, playstation, and all devices plugged into the unmanaged gigabit switch) lose internet connectivity. When I am in a down state, I attempt to ping the IP of the router and get destination unreachable. I also try to ping my server IP (static) and the pings still fail. It seems that all ports just start dropping all traffic. 

To resolve, I have to reboot my router and everything works again for, typically, the rest of the day.

I am running 

Firmware version XR500 V2.3.2.32

and after I upgraded the firmware (2 days ago) I did a complete factory reset of the router. 

Looking to see if anyone has any troubleshooting assistance to help resolve the issue, rebooting daily is kind of a pain.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Harvey, this is an issue we're aware of and investigating. It appears to be to do with the consoles Instant On mode and possibly their auto downloading of updates. To see if this is the case with you could you disable Instant On mode on the Xbox and whenever you turn off the PS4 power it off fully. Does that resolve the issue?
Message 2 of 9

I will disable the instant on mode and unplug the PS4 for tonight and see if the issue remains tomorrow morning.

Message 3 of 9

I have disabled instant on and I unplugged the PS4. I had no issues last night and typically I would need to reboot every morning. Just as an additional note, typically when the issue exists, the LED on the front of the router turns red for the port the Xbox and PS4 are plugged into. Since the Xbox instant on feature is off and the PS4 is unplugged, there are no activity lights on these ports. I have also noticed that immediately before the ports go down, I get quite a few messages in the logs for "Access rejected incorrect security for MAC [...]". It seems that the MAC address ends up getting into a blocked list or something.

Message 4 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay that's good news, yes it seems that the consoles do not wake up the internet ports correctly and that some how causes the other ports to drop. Perhaps by thinking all ports are then waiting for devices to trigger them. Okay interesting, would you be able to get the full entry on the log when it happens or is that the entire entry?
Message 5 of 9

I will test with it tonight and see if I can recreate the issue. If possible, I will pull all logs off the router at that time. 

Message 6 of 9
Seanabong2200
Apprentice

@ThatHarveyGuy wrote:

I will test with it tonight and see if I can recreate the issue. If possible, I will pull all logs off the router at that time. 

good morning. harvey guy. i have the exact same issue with my xr500. netgear just recently saved my logs and sent them to the engineers. By you turning off instant on for your xbox fix the issue you are having? Also to you netgear i really like the instant on feature for my xbox. What is the estimated time frame of getting a fix for this. i bought this router the end of last month and ive had nothing but issues. im just really surprised i thought this router would be much better than it is. cause this is a big issue.

Message 7 of 9

I have had the "instant on" option for my xbox off for 2 days now. I have also had my playstation unplugged when not using it and haven't had a single incident of ports going down. This is only the case for devices plugged in. I also have 2 other xbox's and another playstation in the house but haven't had any issues on WLAN even with "instant on" feature turned on for the devices on wireless. I would presume once the issue is identified, Netgear and the Duma team will release a fix but turning off the "instant on" feature and ensuring the playstation is fully powered off is a temporary workaround for the rather frustrating issue.

I haven't had a chance to recreate the issue yet but I plan to turn this feature back on and see if I can recreate the issue and pull logs from before and after the LAN ports go down. In the meantime to resolve, I would attempt to turn off the "instant on" and see if your issues subside until a fix is released. 

Message 8 of 9
Seanabong2200
Apprentice

okay sounds good. Thanks for the input. cause having to reset it every day is driving me insane. 

@ThatHarveyGuy wrote:

I have had the "instant on" option for my xbox off for 2 days now. I have also had my playstation unplugged when not using it and haven't had a single incident of ports going down. This is only the case for devices plugged in. I also have 2 other xbox's and another playstation in the house but haven't had any issues on WLAN even with "instant on" feature turned on for the devices on wireless. I would presume once the issue is identified, Netgear and the Duma team will release a fix but turning off the "instant on" feature and ensuring the playstation is fully powered off is a temporary workaround for the rather frustrating issue.

I haven't had a chance to recreate the issue yet but I plan to turn this feature back on and see if I can recreate the issue and pull logs from before and after the LAN ports go down. In the meantime to resolve, I would attempt to turn off the "instant on" and see if your issues subside until a fix is released. 

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7