× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Lan Ports - Fatal Flaw

XR500 Lan Ports - Fatal Flaw

Ok.  So I have been at this since I bought my first XR500 from Amazon on March 28, 2018.  For the first few months everything was great, didn't even have to blink at the router much less reboot it daily.  That is not so much the case now.  I have now gone through 2 RMAs with Netgear to try and get this issue resolved because my router is supposed to be this thing that just works, not makes me work for it.

I have lodged numerous support tickets to try and get this solved and have gone through the following between support requests and others (many others) who are having the exact same problem I am:

• Beta Firmware
  • Current Firmware
  • Step back a version of Firmware
  • Disable DHCP and Assign Static IPs to my devices (A default function of the router, this is not an answer to the problem, it's a bypass.)
  • Disable Instant-On on my XBox (Again, a bypass for the bigger problem.  I shouldn't have to change a default function of another device I own to make my router work the way it's supposed to.)
  • Run Diagnostics in the background to forward and see why the hardware is failing
  • Removing devices from my network that on my R7000 worked without any problems together that are now supposedly a problem on my XR500.
  • I've tried checking the Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection in the WAN Setup due to the overwhelming amount of incorrectly identified DOS Attack log entries from Microsoft, Google, Blizzard, Steam; all perfectly valid communications.

Yesterday I received my 3rd XR500, (Purchased from Amazon, RMA Replacement, RMA Replacement) and wouldn't you know it, I woke up this morning to disabled LAN Ports.  Shocking.  At this point I am truely at a loss for words.  I installed the newest router, updated the firmware (current version is 2.3.2.40) and still, the same problem.  I have loved my Netgear products since the first one I bought, but this one has disheartened me severely.

I don't know if this is a flaw with the DUMA OS or with the hardware within the XR500.  I am truely at the end of my rope here.  If there is a way to do an RMA replacement for a different router I would take it at this point.  I'd even pay the difference to upgrade to an XR700 and hope that doesn't have the same problem.  If anyone has anything that they have figured out to add to this that I haven't figured out, tried or done to get this to go away, I'm open to suggestions.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that, it is being invesigated and you've tried I think all of the potential workarounds/solutions so there may not be much I can do. Do you have any devices that use a standby mode or that use automatic updates?
Message 2 of 26

Devices that I have in my network environment:

• XBox One
  • Gaming PC (Win 10)
  • Gaming PC (Win 10)
  • Asus Android Tablet
  • Samsung Android Tablet
  • Galaxy S8
  • iPhone 8

I have disabled Sleep mode on both PCs to avoid network shutdown.  Both PCs are on Windows automatic updates, but that can't be disabled.  Aside from that, nothing else has a sleep mode capability.

Message 3 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you follow this you can try to disable automatic updates and see if that works: https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-update.html
Message 4 of 26

See again, this is a bypass.  This is not a solution.  I should not have to disable DHCP, mess around with automatic updates on my PCs, disable instant-on on my xbox.  This is a fatal and critical flaw in either the hardware of the XR500 or the DumaOS.  These are all basic functions of devices that connect to my router.  it's job is to distribute and control network traffic, not determine what device is allow to do what and how to do it.  what you're telling me is something in the XR500's firmware or the DumaOS is controlling what traffic is allowed and what isn't.  That is beyond unacceptable.

Message 5 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As you know and as I mentioned it's an issue that's being investigated and would need a firmware update in order to fix so there are no known settings changes right now that can fix the issue. I am trying to help by providing other alternatives until a fix has been created. That's not what I'm saying. Automatic updates could trigger issues as it's clear that from a state where not much is happening to suddenly something occurring is where the issue is. e.g. console in standby so no data and then suddenly coming online. I'm not a developer so I can't provide specifics.
Message 6 of 26

I hear you, I really do.  The first Netgear article that I can find about the XR500 is January 8th.  So at this point we're at over 365 days, with multiple firmware patches and still a very core critical failing of the device.  Would you as a consumer accept this as ok?  Seeing as you are in the industry, you understand that there has to be a point at which you stop trying to fix a broken product and consider it a loss?  I don't understand why the XR500 is still being sold and hearlded as a wonderful router when it has a fatal flaw?  Why is it that a default function of computing, i.e. automatic updates, would be something that would be causing a problem?  How could an Engineer, Software Developer, QA/QC not catch such a problem in development?

I understand what you're saying about a shift from zero traffic to sudden increase, but isn't that the core function of a switch?  The XR500 is a router with a built in 4 port switch.  it's design is to move traffic along the network, direct it, guide it, move it, not terminate it.

Message 7 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 8 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The issue wasn't encountered by users until towards the end of last year and not all users encounter it. It's been a hard one for us to pin down and it has multiple teams working on it, even the Xbox team. I am just speculating that it could be a cause. We've definitely found instant on mode on the Xbox triggers it. The only other alternative at the moment is to put a switch behind the XR500 and that seems to prevent it. Until the fix is provided these are the only alternatives for those with the issue.
Message 9 of 26

I'm glad there are multiple teams working on this and I do hope they find a solution, soon.  I hear you on the speculation, I have only speculation myself.  I'll look into the switch on the back end as an alternative for the hardwired devices for now to stop the need to reboot.  Thank you.

Message 10 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend a Non Managed, Non Smart and Non Green Ethernet switch. NG GS105/108 series would be a start. 

@PolikosFoinix wrote:

I'm glad there are multiple teams working on this and I do hope they find a solution, soon.  I hear you on the speculation, I have only speculation myself.  I'll look into the switch on the back end as an alternative for the hardwired devices for now to stop the need to reboot.  Thank you.

Message 11 of 26

yep, agreed.

Message 12 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if that helps you out. 

@PolikosFoinix wrote:

yep, agreed.

Message 13 of 26
billmarch
Aspirant

Windows 10 is great but the forced upgrades are ridiculous. As far as I can tell there is no known way to permanently disable the updates. If you disable the update service, there are scheduled tasks that run regularly to re-enable them. If you cancel the scheduled tasks, as soon as you reboot your computer they get added back. The possible solution is that there should be a registry key you can set to alert you that windows 10 updates are available instead of automatically installing them.

Message 14 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you'll have to discuss with MS. 

Good Luck with that. 

@billmarch wrote:

Windows 10 is great but the forced upgrades are ridiculous. As far as I can tell there is no known way to permanently disable the updates. If you disable the update service, there are scheduled tasks that run regularly to re-enable them. If you cancel the scheduled tasks, as soon as you reboot your computer they get added back. The possible solution is that there should be a registry key you can set to alert you that windows 10 updates are available instead of automatically installing them.

Message 15 of 26
sivola
Tutor

Any news or updates here?? The issue is still happening
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 16 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

If your having problems HW wise with your router, it would be best to contact NG support and ask about an RMA. 

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@sivola wrote:
Any news or updates here?? The issue is still happening

Message 17 of 26

RMA won't fix anything.  The flaw is still existent for me after 2 RMAs.  The only temporary fix is to place a switch inbetween your xbox and the router.  a simple 5 port switch will stop the LAN ports from dying.

Message 18 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Nothing yet sivola, have you tried any of the workarounds such as the one above?
Message 19 of 26
sivola
Tutor

i tried everything exepct a switch in between, but i must say this is super said to consider this even a solution... why should i buy another accessory after buying a 300$ router... and have more space taken by another device in my living room.

How come you guys consider this a solution? am i the only one thinking this is really bad customer service?

Message 20 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

EIther try a switch or return the router and find something else. 

@sivola wrote:

i tried everything exepct a switch in between, but i must say this is super said to consider this even a solution... why should i buy another accessory after buying a 300$ router... and have more space taken by another device in my living room.

How come you guys consider this a solution? am i the only one thinking this is really bad customer service?

Message 21 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I wouldn't call it a solution, it is a temporary workaround until the issue can be resolved by the development teams. If you don't have one then its up to you whether you want to purchase or not. You could try putting the router in AP mode for example and see if that works, you'll lose the features in that mode but it may be better for you until a fix is available.
Message 22 of 26
sivola
Tutor

How do i get this firmware the link says "denined access"

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 23 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The link was removed - it was just about checking for a firmware, there isn't a new one to download currently.
Message 24 of 26
sivola
Tutor

Thanks so much for Netgear and DumaOS for providing such bad support lets see how many more years until and if this problem would be solved

Message 25 of 26
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7