× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Lan Ports stop working

huntj06
Aspirant

XR500 Lan Ports stop working

I've had my router since early October and just a couple of days ago I've noticed when I go to get on my desktop PC I have no internet connectivity. My WiFi is working fine, but it seems the LAN port just dies/doesn't respond for whatever reason. I've upgraded to the latest firmware along with manually uploading the latest firmware last night and I just got home to find the same issue again.

I don't have the IP static, it's using DHCP.

What's my next steps? A $300 router shouldn't have this problem!

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats connected to the LAN ports on the router? 

Whats the Mfr and model # of the ISP Modem the NG router is connected too? 

Whats the Mfr and model # of the network adapter card connected to the router?

Swap LAN cables between the router and PC? 

Try Different LAN ports on the router.

Try a Different LAN PC to see if problem is seen with another PC. 

Factory reset the router and setup from scratch. 

Message 2 of 20
huntj06
Aspirant

I woke up this morning with my Hue bridge not responding as well. I've tried a new Ethernet cable along with swapping the cable to a different lan port. 

I've not tried a factory reset yet, but that's my last resort. I see a lot of people having this issue. What's Netgear doing to fix it?

My Modem is a Arris SB8200 (less than a year old). 

The Desktop that is having issues is a ASRock Z370 Motherboard with the built in ethernet card.. Not sure its the PC as the Hue bridge has issues as well (along with many other people on this forum). 

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a different PC to see as well. 

Please try a factory reset. My XR450 hasn't seen this issue. Same HW. 

Message 4 of 20
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do any of the devices you have go into a standby mode where they can be turned on very quickly? If so could you shut them down properly and see if that fixes the issue? Putting a switch between the router and those devices is also a workaround. Netgear are aware of the issue and actively looking into it.
Message 5 of 20
huntj06
Aspirant

My PC will sleep, but last night I turned off sleep mode and went to check it this morning and the PC was still awake, but the lan had no internet. (So, no change).

My Hue bridge was also not working, and it doesn't sleep as far as I'm aware.

Just a basic unmanaged swtich will serve as a workaround for now? 

Message 6 of 20
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have any consoles like an Xbox? Could you also try setting static IPs for those 2 devices and see if it fixes it for them? Yes that should be a sufficient workaround for the issue
Message 7 of 20
huntj06
Aspirant

I have a Xbox One X, but it's not always on. Should I also try setting my Desktop PC to a static address then to help with the issue? 

Message 8 of 20
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes I would recommend that
Message 9 of 20
huntj06
Aspirant

I've had my switch hooked up since the last post.. is this still an issue? Can I now remove my switch? 

Message 10 of 20
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

I don't see why that would be an issue.

Message 11 of 20
huntj06
Aspirant

I would assume a new firmware version would fix the issue of not needing the switch now right? I don't see any new firmware updates currently for my router. Also, no new firmware updates in months? For a $400 router? 

Message 12 of 20
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Well we're always working on updates to DumaOS as a whole and if something is broken then NETGEAR will often put out a hotfix.

Message 13 of 20
navigent2
Guide

This issue is obviously larger than a few people.  What is Netgear doing to fix this issue?  After spending close to $300 for a router, this is ridciulous that the LAN ports fail.

Message 14 of 20
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you tried the hotfix? That seems to have fixed it for most people. For those where it hasn't they are still looking into it and I'm confident there will be a fix.
Message 15 of 20
navigent2
Guide

I have not. What is the hot fix?
Message 16 of 20
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Message 17 of 20
navigent2
Guide

Hotfilx did not work to correct the LAN issue I have.  With no resolution, I will have to revert back to my Comcast LAN ports as I never had an issue with those.  So much for a $300 router that does not work!

Message 18 of 20
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Make sure you do a factory reset as it's always a good idea to do so after an upgrade to remove any potential legacy issues left behind by a previous firmware.
Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like a possible faulty unit. I would ask NG for an RMA.

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Message 20 of 20
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7