× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Lease Time Issues

Smiley3303
Star

XR500 Lease Time Issues

I am still having issues the lease time ending and causing loss of internet for at least a minute. Is there plans to update the firmware so I can control the time of this issue and the duration?

What is the need to have 24 hour lease time from the modem vs a month or indefinite. This issue drives me crazy I have tried to release and renew at a time where it isnt a pain but I keep coming back to why do I have to put up with this? There needs to be ability to change this setting on a router that cost this much.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 Lease Time Issues

I do agree that there should be an option to change this. I haven't heard whether they're planning on implementing that or just fixing the issue. I will ask the team to request clarity from Netgear.
Message 2 of 10
Joshwilmott11
Aspirant

Wondering if you have found a fix for this, having similar issues with my D7000 but my lease time is set to 1 hour....doesn’t release and renew automatically so disconnects all devices for a minute or more, unless I watch it like a hawk and renew manually
Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 3 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@Joshwilmott11 I would suggest you post here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk as that may be a different issue and it also uses different software to the XR range.
Message 4 of 10
Smiley3303
Star

Why can’t you update the firmware to allow the lease time to be changed by the admin? This is just a simple thing that cheap $35 routers have. I find it to be a deal breaker. If they don’t change this my next router will be another brand.
Message 5 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That is for Netgear to do, I have mentioned this to them before so hopefully they will introduce this. As of right now you can renew the WAN lease in Settings > Monitoring > Connection Status but not the LAN as far as I can tell.
Message 6 of 10
Berezau
Initiate

I'd really appreciate Netgear allow manual designation of DHCP release times. This is starting to drive me bonkers, especially since working at home and needing as constant a connection to my work's VPN. It's really not good enough and it's pushing me to move on and give up on both Netgear and DumaOS.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 7 of 10
Smiley3303
Star

Is agree it is a big issue. Seems like it was an oversight.
Message 8 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would highly recommend you both sign up to the beta: http://www.netgearinnovation.com/dumaos-beta/index.html your issues may be resolved but if not it provides a perfect feedback opportunity.
Message 9 of 10
Berezau
Initiate

Sounds like an idea, @Netduma-Fraser. Keen to see if 3.0 will resolve this issue, because I do like DumaOS and the hardware is impressive when it isn't disconnecting. In the meantime, I've applied a set of DHCP IP ranges which is outside the the static IP addresses I've signed to some key devices. So hopefully that resolves the issue - but I've only just applied this so we'll have to wait and see.

Appreciate the reply and suggestion, Fraser.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7