× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Locks up after latest firmware

bsilverthorn
Apprentice

XR500 Locks up after latest firmware

After allowing the device to autoupdate, I have to reboot this new router every day. It just locks up, or drops the internet.

Reverted back a build and so far no issues.

Anyone have insight on this. I even updated and reset back to factory, same issue. Router seems fine on older build of firmware.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 32
bsilverthorn
Apprentice

Along with this, we get pretty poor performance and lag, which has me baffled. Watched lots of videos on setup etc... Tried all kinds of things. If I just unplug the darn thing and drop back to the R8000 our internet is back happy. We never lock, we never paues, never have ping issues. Maybe I should stay with the R8000 was hoping this router would be better.

Message 2 of 32
bsilverthorn
Apprentice

2.3.2.22 seems like its got some issues, and no I don't have an XBOX one connected. I do have a 360 connected to it, but no one has used it since I installed the router, don't think its even been turned on. We mostly PC based gamers and Ipad.

When it drops internet, it appears Wifi gets a little hinky as well.

Message 3 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've sent you a PM with firmware. Also provide a screenshot of the QoS settings you're using please
Message 4 of 32
bsilverthorn
Apprentice

Will do, I j ust reset it back to factory again. I will apply this after lunch EST and then set it backup and send you what I have set.

Thank you, man I hope this helps. I expected this thing to kick my other nighthawks butt ;-).

Message 5 of 32
bsilverthorn
Apprentice

Man this board software is lame the way it handles pics.

I will post them again.

Message 6 of 32
bsilverthorn
Apprentice

For some reason I could put in text at the start or the end.

MAX BW is 175 meg on a good day down

Up its 25

The average is right about where it is set.

Message 7 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Screenshots haven't loaded yet, if you could upload to imgur that would be helpful
Message 8 of 32
bsilverthorn
Apprentice

odd they show right above my text now. I PMd them to you.

Message 9 of 32
bsilverthorn
Apprentice

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Message 10 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Still cant see it, think it takes a little to upload properly, will check back
Message 11 of 32
bsilverthorn
Apprentice

ok very odd, I can see them now when I log out and back in also PM'd them to you.

Message 12 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can see the screenshots now. I would change Anti-Bufferbloat to 'Always' and double check that share excess is on for both download & upload of bandwidth allocation.
Message 13 of 32
bsilverthorn
Apprentice

IT is, and we did that last night, as we had good ping times in fortnite and overwatch but it was still jumpy. Didnt change anything so I took the router back out and we back to R8000 and life was good.

Message 14 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that, hope you consider it again in future. Very likely just settings
Message 15 of 32
bsilverthorn
Apprentice

Haven’t returned it yet. We just got tired of tweaking and wanted to have fun. It’s off to the side atm. May try again tonight.
Message 16 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

First make sure ALL devices are connected behind the XR500 otherwise it can't accurately control the network then follow: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

Then I'd also suggest doing this also: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-diagnose-modem-internet-service-pr...
Message 17 of 32
bsilverthorn
Apprentice

All devices are behind it, I use ping plotter a lot. I will check that article out though.

No issues using my R800 solid as a rock, only when I drop the XR500 in its place do I have trouble.

Setup a ipfence PC based firewall as a test no issues with it as well, quite impressive firewall for free QOS is not as robust as Duma though ;-).

Message 18 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay thanks keep us updated!
Message 19 of 32
bsilverthorn
Apprentice

Firmware Version V2.3.2.26
DumaOS Name A7Legit

After the above update was applied I seem to be much better off. I ocassionaly have a wifi device that won't attach for some reason, and gettiing new ones to join on the 5G channel 149 is almost impossible. I can join my previous router on this band with no issue. Same security etc...

As far as lockups, only had one and the router has been up for a week.

Turning QOS to Always seems to be the answer, but I wish it wasnt the solution. I would rather have the true 180 meg when no one else using the internet instead of 80% of it. Maybe there is a setting here I need to tweak as I am noonb to duma.

Brett

Message 20 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is it only one device that is unable to connect using that channel?

Setting to Always is optimal so you never experience any local congestion but you could set it to when high priority detected and then based on your Traffic Prioritization settings will only apply your Anti-Bufferbloat percentages when gaming is detected.
Message 21 of 32
bsilverthorn
Apprentice

Sorry went out of town, for the slow response.

No its all of them, something is amiss when set to channel 149, which unfortinamtely is where I need it Freq 5745.

I can try dopping it down below DFS next and see what happens I guess. But the 5745 range plus or minus 10 is clear. And while lowering it to 48 or below around 5200 I would some internal speed to my media servers.

Is V2.3.2.26 still the latest build of firmware?

Message 22 of 32
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Yes that’s right, that’s the latest build.
Message 23 of 32
bsilverthorn
Apprentice

Not sure whats up, but I get a lot of these type errors navigating the OS or just sitting on the dashboard watching whats going out the router.

Capture.JPG

Message 24 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Whats the error? Can't see the picture at the moment
Message 25 of 32
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements