× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Lockup. ( disconnect? )

P111
Luminary

XR500 Lockup. ( disconnect? )

OK for the first time the router died. It's been running continuously for maybe a week. I came to it in the morning and it was dead. Funny thing is that the wireless was even switched off. It was only using hard-wired and only one PC was connected to it when it died. As far as I know the PC wasn't doing anything either. It seems to have just locked up all by itself.  Is this the disconnect people are talking about? I could not even contact the router so who knows what was working and what wasn't. I had to reset the router to get it working again.

Do we have any leads on this problem or yet again is it time to consider returning the router?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 11
P111
Luminary

To clarify, I had switched the wireless off a few days previously. Just in case you thought the crash had resulted in it being switched off - no, it was already off.

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Haven't seen this issue nor with others i know who have this router.

Whats the router connected too? Both ISP modem and devices? 

Any LAN switches in the mix? 

Have you tried loading the first FW version for the 500 manually, then factory reset then setup from scratch and see if the problem happens again? 

Message 3 of 11
P111
Luminary

Hi there and thank you for your reply.

This morning there was no internet according to my browser and when I checked 192.168.1.1 there was no response from the router.

I looked at the router and it appeared OK, there were lights on it. I reset the router only to see if that would make a difference. 

It did. My PC then worked as normal and I could connect to the router interface at 198.162.1.1

The router is connencted to a DrayTek VDSL modem, which was still running and connected in the morning. I didn't power reset the modem so I am pretty sure there was nothing wrong with it. I did phone my ISP and ask if anything had been logged and they said, no, the connection to the modem had been stable all night. No drops. However, they saw the router log in after I reset it. .

So the router just seems to have locked up and a power reset solved the problem.

Unfortunately I don't know if the wifi was working in the morning becuase it had been switched off for a few days and I didn't think to test it.

The router has a Netgear Switch connected to one port. The PC that was on all night is connected to that switch. However, the PC that failed to connect this morning is wired directly to the router.

What was unusual is that the PC that was on all night wasn't actually doing anything. It doesn't have any power modes configured so it just sat there all night, on, but not running any applications.

The router has no configuration other than those it setup automatically.  One thing that puzzles me is that in auto setup it set the connect type as Dial On Demand and the timeout as 5 mins. I changed that to always on. Apart from that there is nothing.

Honestly I am not prepared to mess with this too much. This is actually the most worrying issue I have found to date. My last router literally ran for years without any issue. This one I have only owned for less than two weeks. I have had enough. I have a limited window to return this router and unless someone can tell me something amazing in the next 24 hours then I will probably send it back.

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of this modem? 

What is the model# of the NG switch? 

I would try and power OFF both modem and XR router for 1 minute. Then power ON the modem and let it sync. Then power ON the XR router. 

Are you letting the XR handle the PPPoE connection or is the modem handling this? 

Message 5 of 11
P111
Luminary

The modem is a Draytek 130.

The switch is a Netgear GS108  ( latest type ).

I didnt need to reset the Draytek or the GS108 this morning, it was just the XR500 that had locked up. Unfortunately I didn't check the wifi or the PC that had been on all night. I just checked my main PC which had been off all night. It came on as usually but no internet and no XR500. I reset the PC several times before I reset the XR500.

I don't let anything handle anything. It did it itself. However, the XR500 has the configuration in it for PPPoE and the username and password so I assume it's the XR500 thats handling it. The modem doesn't have any settings like that.

It is a bit suspicious to me that XR500 crashed during a period of long inactivity. It's the only time the PC has been left on all night but not actually doing anything. Normally it's either off or on and running applications that access the net.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Thre maybe possible issue with the XR handling PPPoE if you have your modem bridged:

https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-130

Something you can try to see if the XR continues to hang. Set the modem back to Un-Bridged mode and let the modem handle the PPPoE connection. Set the XR back to Dynamic or DHCP on the WAN port. Set up an IP address reservation ON the modem for what it gives the XR router. Input this IP address into the modems DMZ. Save settings and then I would power OFF the modem and XR for 1 minute, then power ON the modem and let it sync, then power ON the XR router. 

See if the XR router continues to hang. If so, then I would get the XR replaced or contact NG support and let them know whats going on with the XR router. 

Message 7 of 11
P111
Luminary

As far as I am aware its not a router. It actually states its not in the manual. And certainly I set nothing when I was using it. It's not set in bridge mode becuase it's always in bridge mode.

But why would this cause the XR to hang anyway? I mean it was running perfectly for 14 days then bam, gone. What suddenly changed?

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Well the modem can be un-bridged I believe and handle the PPPoE connection instead of being in bridge mode. Something to try. A reason to try this is to see if the XR router does this in DCHP mode vs PPPoE. 

Where is the XR placed? Does it have good air ventilation? I keep a laptop cooler under my router all the time for added cooling. 

What channel modes are you using? Auto or manual? 

Any other wifi neighbors around? Of so, how many? 

Message 9 of 11
P111
Luminary

I rarely use the wifi and I just let it set itself up, but for the last week it's been disabled via the switch on the front of the router.

The only devices connected to it have been hard-wired.

It's been running for about 14 days without any problems. I was actually waiting for the next firmware before I set up any prioritisation so it's really un-configured and I haven't messed with anything at all.

It really is disturbing that it would lock up when only hard-wired.

But honestly I think I am going to return it tomorrow. My window for returning it is disappearing and I have just lost confidence in it as a product. I really do like the operating system, it's great, but I can't have it locking up like this. I mean it's not as though it's really busy becuase it's not! I can live with the other problems but I can't live with random lock-ups. I really do appreciate your help, but... I do not want to go down the route of accepting a product with so many issues.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand. 

I can only surmized that ther maybe a problem in PPPoE handling between the XR and modem. Would have to try the modem handling PPPoE and XR handling DHCP to test and you would need a bit more time. 

Good Luck with your next router. 

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7