× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 - Long Reboot times

quadrophenic
Apprentice

XR500 - Long Reboot times

Ok, so to start, my shiny and exciting XR500 gaming router is turning into an absolute shambolic nightmare. The thing is plagued with problems. I am hoping for the sake of the community that it is just mine but this is the latest in a string of irritating bugs that should not be present on a £250 router. 

Due to many problems: IPV6 not working, DDNS being buggy, in game lag, higher than before ping stats and worse than before BQM results I have been forced into restarting my modem regularly. 

When i perform a reboot, either via the interface or the router itself it can take at least 5 minutes before the gui becomes responsive and will allow me to log in. The power light stays red while the other lights are white. Devices can connect to the internet but cannot connect to the router itself. 

Due to the long list of issues im having with this router I am starting to think it is a faulty unit. 

Anybody else experience this long wait while the router reboots?

Thanks

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Killhippie
Prodigy

XR500 does not have a modem so why are you rebooting that? Long term rebooting modems all the time will be seen as instability effecting the latency and speeds of your line. As to the other things you mention price really has no bearing, you should see the bugs the R9000 had/has and thats more expensive than the XR500 and the cheaper R7800 has its own issues with blank screens and missing devices in its GUI. Welcome to the world of modern consumer electronics where we are all betea testers in many ways.

As to Game Lag, I dont have that issue but it could be server side depending on the game and the peering points of your ISP play a big part too. Pings are fine for me so far, 8ms to London using the XR500 and 33ms to Germany. Many of your issues on BQM could also be releated to your ISP too as well as your modem being rebooted, or having other issues like the router and  the settings you have for your XR500.

IPV6 is being worked on as far as I know and by letting Fraser and Netgear know about other bugs you find they will be fixed in time. The R7800 on relase had major issues with Apple devices and dropping wifi on them and took about four firmware releases to get fixed, Trouble shooting is not always easy, It takes time.

As to the reboot process it is a bit slow, mine does the same light sequence but is up in less than 2 minutes. Have you tried a full factory reset? Then re enter your settings manually, not from a backup. That can sort a lot of issues out. The router should not be talking 5 mins to boot up, but it will be slower as its booting Netgears firmware and Netdumas too. I can't see why you keep rebooting it tbh though. A factory reset will help much more and if you still have issues contact Netgear. However there really is no need to keep rebooting your modem and router so much anyway. What ISP are you with? Also what are your pings like compared with your old router? The more information the better as it hellps build up a picture of your situation.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
Killhippie
Prodigy

XR500 does not have a modem so why are you rebooting that? Long term rebooting modems all the time will be seen as instability effecting the latency and speeds of your line. As to the other things you mention price really has no bearing, you should see the bugs the R9000 had/has and thats more expensive than the XR500 and the cheaper R7800 has its own issues with blank screens and missing devices in its GUI. Welcome to the world of modern consumer electronics where we are all betea testers in many ways.

As to Game Lag, I dont have that issue but it could be server side depending on the game and the peering points of your ISP play a big part too. Pings are fine for me so far, 8ms to London using the XR500 and 33ms to Germany. Many of your issues on BQM could also be releated to your ISP too as well as your modem being rebooted, or having other issues like the router and  the settings you have for your XR500.

IPV6 is being worked on as far as I know and by letting Fraser and Netgear know about other bugs you find they will be fixed in time. The R7800 on relase had major issues with Apple devices and dropping wifi on them and took about four firmware releases to get fixed, Trouble shooting is not always easy, It takes time.

As to the reboot process it is a bit slow, mine does the same light sequence but is up in less than 2 minutes. Have you tried a full factory reset? Then re enter your settings manually, not from a backup. That can sort a lot of issues out. The router should not be talking 5 mins to boot up, but it will be slower as its booting Netgears firmware and Netdumas too. I can't see why you keep rebooting it tbh though. A factory reset will help much more and if you still have issues contact Netgear. However there really is no need to keep rebooting your modem and router so much anyway. What ISP are you with? Also what are your pings like compared with your old router? The more information the better as it hellps build up a picture of your situation.

Message 2 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As well as the advice above, I'd just like to add that if you're getting lag issues then it is highly likely that QoS/Geo-Filter is not setup correctly. If you let us know your settings we can help optimise. IPv6 isn't fully supported by DumaOS but will be coming. IPv6 won't give you any benefits over IPv4.
Message 3 of 10
quadrophenic
Apprentice

I am with BT. I have infinity. Modem is an openreach vdsl modem. I don't always reboot the modem, only the router. I normally reboot when I start to get laggy connection on games such as rocket league and fortnite. Rocket league is probably my best example where previously I would show an in game ping of around 20ms to most european servers. With the XR500 I am rarely below 40. I appreciate this could be the game, the servers etc but I also get latency variation errors during some games. Again something I rarely saw with my previous ASUS router. 

After making the post I performed a full reset and config from scratch. Which appears to have helped on the BQM front but still having issues in game. 

Since performing the full reset I haven't tried a reboot so can't say if that has helped with boot times. 

My QoS is set up as advised in many of the forums. down and up limits set to 85% with 'when high priority is detected'

There is one point I could do with some clarification, I have 2 consoles on my network, mine and my daughters. Is it possible that her console is getting the 'priority' over mine? is it worth disabling netduma classified and setting up a device specific rule?

Thank you for your feedback, I will run some 'proper' ping tests with both routers for a more accurate comparison than in game stats. 

Message 4 of 10
quadrophenic
Apprentice

Thanks Fraser. I'm pretty sure QoS is correct.

I am not using geofilter. When I play in parties it will prevent me from joining the game but other party members connect. It can get a little frustrating so I have it disabled when playing with friends. 

Actually some friends are blaming me for in game lag due to the errors i get in game. Considering the router I have I was kind of hoping I would never be the cause! 😞 

Message 5 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd go with 70% for both download and upload for Anti-Bufferbloat. She won't necessarily be getting priority over you and gaming doesn't require much bandwidth so should be fine to leave DumaOS Classified Games enabled though you can disable and just add a manual rule for your console to test.

On the Geo-Filter you can add your friends to your allow list so that even with the Geo-Filter enabled you can always connect to them.

I'm assuming as you have a modem that all devices are connected to the router? Are you playing over ethernet or WiFi?
Message 6 of 10
quadrophenic
Apprentice

Yes the modem is connected directly to the XR500. My console is wired directly to the router. 

Message 7 of 10
quadrophenic
Apprentice

Yes the modem is connected directly to the XR500. My console is wired directly to the router. 

Message 8 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay good, try suggestions above and let us know how you get on.
Message 9 of 10
quadrophenic
Apprentice

Ok so after a full restart and manual configuration it seems my BQM has settled down somewhat. My reported pings in game have not changed but I am getting less connection interuptions and errors. 

I will continue to monitor, thank you for your help. 

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7