× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500/MB8600 + Xfinity Gigabit, slow WiFi speeds

Rhyft
Aspirant

XR500/MB8600 + Xfinity Gigabit, slow WiFi speeds

I upgraded to Xfinity Gigabit internet today (1Gbps down/40Mbps up) and upgraded my modem from a SB6183 to MB8600 to support it. My old Xfinity service provided 300Mbps down/15Mbps up. I get 900+Mbps down when hardwired to the modem as well as when hardwired to the XR500 router. However, 5Ghz WiFi speeds don't even top 350Mbps and even appear slower/choppier on many tests than they did on my old plan. On paper, everything should support better performance than that:

• Up to 1733Mbps WiFi transmission from XR500
  • Up to 1733Mbps reception from motherboard's Intel CNVi 802.11ac 2x2 Wave 2 WiFi
  • QoS disabled
  • MU-MIMO/Beamforming enabled
  • Used WiFi analyzer to find unoccupied 5Ghz channel (36, but also tried at 153)
  • Tried with HT160 enabled and disabled

I'm using speedtest.net as well as Xfinity's own speed test to calculate these #s. Can anyone help me understand why my WiFi speeds are so slow? Much appreciated. 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How did you disable QoS exactly? Have you disabled Smart Connect?
Message 2 of 4
Rhyft
Aspirant

Correct, Smart Connect is disabled. RE: QoS, I've tried both setting to "Never" as well as checking the "Disable QoS" box under the menu in the top left of the anti-bufferbloat window. 

Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

With a new plan sometimes it takes a few days for the router to sync up, were you using another router before the XR? If not set the XR MAC address to the modem MAC and see if you get the speeds then.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7