× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Massive Packet Loss Issue

Conweezey
Tutor

XR500 Massive Packet Loss Issue

Hey everyone, hoping to get some feedback and maybe a few things to try and fix my issue. I've had an XR500 for about a year now and its been great while I've had my PS4 Pro connected to it, I use to play COD BO4 and everything has been working flawlessly in terms of the geofilter and QoS, I've never had any packet loss issues while using the PS4. 

However I've recently swtiched to Xbox (the One X) and have been running into major issues, roughly 2-3 minutes into every match, no matter the server my packet loss spikes to 50% and never lowers...I've tried servers where I have 50MS ping and ones where I have 200MS ping doesnt matter.

Here is what I've tried:

• Xbox One X is hardwired into the XR 500 with a 4ft long CAT 6 cable
  • Static IP Address is assigned to the Xbox
  • Using IPV4, not 6 - I have tried 6 though and no difference
  • DMZ - I've placed the Xbox in and out of the DMZ with no difference
  • UPnP - I've tried it with this enabled and disabled with no difference
  • Port Forwarding - I've tried it with all applicable ports forwarded while in DMZ, out of DMZ with UPnP on and off and all combinations in between with no difference
  • QoS - set to 70/70 (I get 25MBPS down and 10MBPS up), have tried anti-buffer bloat always on and in only when high priorty traffice detected as well as just straight up off with no difference
  • Traffic Prioritization - I've added the Xbox manually as well as tried it with the "Duma OS Classified Games" box checked and unchecked with no difference
  • Geo-filter - have tried with the geo-filter enabled and disabled with no difference
  • Xbox Settings - have turned off instant startup - no difference, have tried multiple DNS addresses that worked for PS4 - no difference, port its using is 3074

The only thing that has worked is bypassing the router altogether and wiring directly into the Xbox which obviously isnt a solution, I also have an Asus AX11000 router kicking around that I plugged in just for the hell of it, didnt adjust any settings and had no packet loss issues so I'm definitely convinced this is 100% an issue with the XR500 and not the Xbox or my ISP.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

@Conweezey wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions I will complete the ping plotter steps tonight when I get home from work.

In the meantime I have the most up-to-date FW installed on the router, I just had the router check for firmware updates last night and nothing popped up, no I have not factory reset the router since the last firmware update, in fact I dont think I've ever factory reset it since purchasing it.

I would highly recommend doing a factory reset on the XR and setup from scratch prior to ping testing. 

In terms of my ISP and modem, I live in the country and have Fixed Wireless Access internet, which directly from ISP works as such: "Clearwave broadcasts its FWA (Fixed Wireless Access) internet service wirelessly, by means of microwave radio systems from various transmission points around Edmonton and surrounding areas. Like a radio station or cellular phone service, you require a receiver at your home or business that picks up the radio signal and brings it to your home or business. Once inside, the service can be run directly to a single computer or by means of a router, be shared with multiple computers"

As far as I can tell all I have is a gigabit ethernet cable running out of my wall into some little black box that adds power to the connection and then straight into my router it goes. I'll have to get in touch with them to see if there some other connection on my house.

I understand that with my internet its not going to be the most reliable due to the way it is delivered to my house but its odd that every other device connects fine with the exception of the Xbox and thats only when its using the XR500.

Ya, wireless ISP servcies is not idea for gaming. 

Anyway, I will post my ping plotter findings later, thanks again!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Use a wired PC and install pingplotter.com and test the pc directly connected to the ISP modem, then with the XR in between the ISP modem and the PC. 

Let us know what you find...

Message 2 of 7
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Hm.. Could you try a different port on the back of the router? Just checking that it's not a faulty port.

Message 3 of 7
Conweezey
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestions I will complete the ping plotter steps tonight when I get home from work.

In the meantime I have the most up-to-date FW installed on the router, I just had the router check for firmware updates last night and nothing popped up, no I have not factory reset the router since the last firmware update, in fact I dont think I've ever factory reset it since purchasing it.

In terms of my ISP and modem, I live in the country and have Fixed Wireless Access internet, which directly from ISP works as such: "Clearwave broadcasts its FWA (Fixed Wireless Access) internet service wirelessly, by means of microwave radio systems from various transmission points around Edmonton and surrounding areas. Like a radio station or cellular phone service, you require a receiver at your home or business that picks up the radio signal and brings it to your home or business. Once inside, the service can be run directly to a single computer or by means of a router, be shared with multiple computers"

As far as I can tell all I have is a gigabit ethernet cable running out of my wall into some little black box that adds power to the connection and then straight into my router it goes. I'll have to get in touch with them to see if there some other connection on my house.

I understand that with my internet its not going to be the most reliable due to the way it is delivered to my house but its odd that every other device connects fine with the exception of the Xbox and thats only when its using the XR500.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

@Conweezey wrote:

I would highly recommend doing a factory reset on the XR and setup from scratch prior to ping testing. 

Ya, wireless ISP servcies is not idea for gaming. 

Message 5 of 7
Conweezey
Tutor

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, quick update, I factory reset the router and everything is working fine now. I’ve literally been troubleshooting this thing for days and it didn’t even cross my mind. Even with my less than ideal internet I’m able to get 40-50ping consistently with no lag thanks to the XR500 and the geofilter. Thanks again everyone!
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working now.

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7