× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Media server

Klys
Tutor

XR500 Media server

I use the built in Media Server to share my USB storage to my smart TV. With my old Asus RT-AC3200 I could specify which folder on the storage to share but with my XR500 it allways shares the whole drive.

How can I specify a certain folder so that I don't have do browse so may folders before I reach my media?

Great forum btw!

Regards

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Although written for a different router this should help you: https://kb.netgear.com/20391/ReadySHARE-USB-Storage-GUI-explained You should be able to create a network folder that you can put the files in that you want without exposing the whole drive.
Message 2 of 10
Klys
Tutor

Hi,

I followed the steps and created a shared folder for my media but when I browse my drive with my smart TV I now have both the folders from my usb drive AND the folders from the specific media folder, all mixed in root.

I miss the option to specify which folder to share in media server settings.

Message 3 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Once you've added a network folder delete the original entry it has there so your folder is the only entry. Does it work properly then?
Message 4 of 10
Klys
Tutor

If I do that I won't get complete access to my drive , only the "new" shared folder with my media will be accessible from my computer.

Message 5 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry, I'm a bit confused, I thought that was what you wanted to achieve? Are you saying you want only the TV to have access to a specific folder but when accessing from a PC you have the whole drive available? If so the only way I could think of that is to change the read/write access as admin so you can input that when on PC and ignore it on the TV.
Message 6 of 10
Klys
Tutor

Sorry for being unclear.

My goal is to share a media folder over DLNA to my smart TV and still have full access to my drive from my computer.

I followed your tip and I guess it works, now my TV only see my media folder.

Although these settings also affect which folders i share over FTP, it only show my media folder. I had to add my complete drive with admin access (to not show up on my smart TV) but it also restrict me from downloading files over FTP. But that is another issue I already talked about in another thread.

Thanks for the help.

Message 7 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Even when using the login you still have that restriction? If so it may be worth contacting Netgear directly and see if they have any ideas: http://support.netgear.com/
Message 8 of 10
Klys
Tutor

I always login to the FTP with the same credentials as the router login, there is no other way??!

Message 9 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I mean, I would have thought that because you have to access using login details that FTP would still work. It's Netgears' feature so they've likely come across this before, if you make a ticket with them hopefully they can get it resolved.
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7