× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 NAT, QoS, IPv6, and Latency Issues

droesw
Guide

XR500 NAT, QoS, IPv6, and Latency Issues

So I've been having issues with my xr500. This is the second xr500 I've had and I'm currently on the latest firmware. I returned the first for a different reason, but the first major concern with this one is that overall gameplay on the original one I had felt noticeably smoother, and now it more often feels sluggish, even though the ping I get on speedtest.net is basically the same. I play on ethernet and also got issued a new modem from my isp around the time of swapping the routers, but I can't imagine this is causing the issues because it's a newer one with more channels, higher potential speed and docsis 3.1. But like I said the new one seems noticeably slower with in game movement. The only game I really play is NBA 2k19 if that means anything.

One thing I have had issues with was a couple of times while playing around with the settings I would be given a unavailable NAT on my xbox one. This happened either when setting a static ip for the xbox or by setting it as a default dmz server. Each time this happened the only was I could get my NAT back to open would be by factory resetting the router, as simply reversing the last setting I change never fixed it.    (I didn't have this problem at all with my first xr500)

Another thing I've noticed is that after  qos my download speeds almost never return the the normal amount when qos disables, after I turn my xbox off(I use the When High Priority Traffic Detected setting) . After resetting router today I got my normal speeds for a couple hours of about 215/11, but then after it turns off my download will just stay right around 150 to 180, unless I decide to hard reset the router again. But to go along with that I notice that enabling IPv6 will bring the speeds up, but even if I have QoS enabled it still forces the speeds to go high for download just because QoS is enabled when running a speed test on my xbox, so with that I worry that the bufferbloat isn't being fixed if I leave QoS on, because my speeds always remain higher even when they should be getting lowered by the QoS. The only way to get my speeds completely back to normal consistently has also been to hard reset the router   (With my first xr500 ipv6 would also keep my download speed high even with QoS enabled, but with the first one I never had issues with getting normal speeds after QoS disables or when high priority traffic isn't detected.

A couple other things regarding the device manager. Sometimes some devices will be stuck on either offline or online even when they clearly aren't. I've verified that certain ones being stuck on offline are clearly using internet but they still sometimes get stuck offline and don't even show in the network monitor. This generally fixes after a reboot, but the issue occasionally comes back. Also I noticed that the ethernet ports are flipped in the device manager. I have my xbox plugged in port 1, but in the device manager ports table it shows it in port 4. I've plugged it into each port and it's the same accross all. If it's plugged into 2 it will show 3, if it's plugged into 3 it will show 2 and if it's plugged into 4 it will show 1.

I know this is a lot but I need help cause I'm tempted to return this one too as it seems to have even more issues than my first one even though it's updated to the latest firmware.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 13
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 NAT, QoS, IPv6, and Latency Issues

So firstly, the reversed port numbers issue is something we're aware of. It's actually a printing error with some of the earlier XR500 units. You'll notice that while the port numbers on the back are misprinted, the lights on the front correspond to the correct port as listed in the interface.

High priority traffic should turn off about 10 minutes or so after the high priority device disconnects. If the Xbox isn't in Power Saving mode, this might not happen. Also check that you've not got anything in the Traffic Prioritization menu that could be causing issues.

Regarding offline and online being wrong: Have you tried this hotfix firmware? I think it might fix it: https://kb.netgear.com/000060127/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-32

Message 2 of 13
droesw
Guide

The issue isn't just the high priority traffic doesn't at all turn off. It does when it should, but after doing so it never gives me the speeds I'm supposed to get, even if I switch my time to apply bufferbloat to never. I try rebooting the router and the modem but that never solves it because when they restart I still get the same speeds that are much lower than normal. I can get the speeds to return to normal but only after completely factory reseting the router. After I do this the speeds will remain what they should be, but if I turn on QoS again the same problem just happens again, and I never see my speeds what they should be unless I factory reset again.

And if the offline and online issue is a firmware thing is it something that everyone experiences and is going to get fixed in a future firmware, cause it doesn't make sense to permanently use a old firmware because of that?

Message 3 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How have you got Traffic Prioritization setup? Are you using DumaOS Classified Games or have you set it up manually?

It's not something that everyone experiences but something we have noticed in the fewer firmware and so yes it will be fixed.
Message 4 of 13
droesw
Guide

I haven't done anything to traffic prioritiztion. By default DumaOS Classified Games was enabled and I just left it that way. I did the same settings with the other xr500 I had but never had this speed issue.

Message 5 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Even if the light is off do you see prioritized packets rapidly updating when the speed is slower?
Message 6 of 13
droesw
Guide

No. Assuming you want me to look in Traffic Prioritiztion Information, and in there the high priority total packets for both upload and download do not change when my xbox is completely off and disconnected, but the total packets for Background still change like normal. 

Message 7 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you got share excess enabled for both the download & upload bandwidth allocation? Could you also provide a full screenshot of the QoS page please.
Message 8 of 13
droesw
Guide

Yes I have share excess enabled for both upload and download.  I attached one screenshot of the QoS page to this and replied with the other because it wouldn't let me attach both.

Message 9 of 13
droesw
Guide

Rest of QoS settings

Message 10 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for that, just to clarify, when you've finished gaming etc and you're checking whether the speeds have gone back up or not, how are you testing this? Is it using the console settings or speedtest.net on a wired PC for example?
Message 11 of 13
droesw
Guide

I've done the tests with speedtest.net on both ethernet and wifi on a computer, as well as xbox wired when I have qos on never

Message 12 of 13
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Try turning off IPv6, it's been known to cause issues with the QoS. The fact you say that it's sped up your connection previously suprises me i'll be honest.

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7