× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 - New Firmware Release?

XR500 - New Firmware Release?

Good Afternoon 

I was a customer of Netduma when there R1 first got released and when there said there were partnering up with Netgear. I was thinking that going to be great. Good Hardware and Good Software to go with it..

The XR500 is a great router but i'm a little concerned how long its taking Netgear to release there firmwares for there XR500,XR700 routers.

The Orignal Netduma R1 router has got DumaOS now and now there have said Milestone 1.3 is available to download to there R1 routers but here is all the XR500 and XR700 users who have paid between 250 to 500 pound for there router still waiting for this update.

I think Netgear should give Netduma full control over updates or make sure to roll all updates out at the same time. 

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: XR500 - New Firmware Release?

Router Mfrs don't give time frames when FW updates are forth coming. 

In general, on average, router mfrs can take 3 to 6 months to release FW udpates. Router mfrs just don't release FW updates whilly nilly. Theres development time and internal testing that has to take place. Also 3rd party vendors like NetDuma have to do there development as well before handing off to NG to get included in the over all FW package. 

The XR series belongs to NG and incorporates NetDumas code. I presume NG and Duma worked out some agreement where NG is fully resposible in handling there product. It's nice to have Duma help and support in the forums as well. I'm sure NG and Duma work closely on getting development done and work towards each FW release. Users need to be patient and give the Mfr time to do there job. I would not want anyone to rush development and miss critical issues that can get out into the wild. There already enough problems. There are other reason why FW updates roll out when they do.

It took Duma a long time before the R1 finally got the new OS. They have enough on there plate working between NG and there one stuff. 

Message 2 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Just to add a Netduma voice to this, as it is a Netgear router they control when updates are released. They also build the firmware, thats not something we do. They have longer processes than ours which is why it takes longer. I can't say when you'll get an update unfortunately or what it will include.
Message 3 of 14

Yes i understand what everyone is saying but at this moment in time alot of people who have gone out and paid between 250 to 500 pound for the XR500 or XR700 router thinking it would be the main focus for both Netgear and Netduma, But now Netduma does not want anything to do with theXR500 or XR700 routers. Its still Netduma's Software at the end of the day. Unless there have sold the rights to Netgear.

The R1 Router is a better router for DumaOS features at this moment in time. While the customers who have been there and now upgraded to the better hardware are left behind.

But overall XR500,XR700 are great Routers. 

Message 4 of 14
Xr500
Apprentice

I bought XR500 from September 11th.Two months passed.The message of the new firmware is still unknown.I hope to have a beta firmware trial. DumaOS 1.3  I'll be waiting for you.

Message 5 of 14
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Now Netduma does not want anything to do with theXR500 or XR700 routers

Not at all! DumaOS using a single code base, so any router DumaOS is installed gets equal love and attention from us. Kind of how a parent feels about each of their kids!

Hopefully there'll be some good news for you guys soon. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 14
TheOne_
Aspirant

As someone who purchase the xr500 8 months ago,mostly for the dumaos. It's really a shame seing the router that introduce DumaOs first cant get the latest DumaOs update. Which make me think now everytime Netduma release a new firmware for r1 the Xr500/700 will always be behind. Really disappointed considering they are 2 latest devices that been knowing as the most "powerful gaming " router. If R1 is an older router that easy got a feature we been requested for months shouldn't it be more easier to implemented in the xr500/700 since they are new devices? Really dissapointed we need ping assist asap
Message 7 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Netgear has their processes which are longer than ours which is why we can release updates quicker on the R1
Message 8 of 14
TheOne_
Aspirant

If that's the case than i might as well return the Xr500 (thank God for return policy plan) and get a R1. Thank you.g
Message 9 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Keep in mind the R1 hardware is a lot older so you won't have the AC WiFi etc of the XR500
Message 10 of 14
Xr500
Apprentice

1. Firmware 2.0.0.28 Last Updated January 8th.
  2. Firmware 2.1.0.4   Last Updated January 13th.
  3. Firmware 2.1.0.6   Last Updated February 6th.
  4. Firmware 2.2.1.10 Last Updated March 23rd.
  5. Firmware 2.3.2.22 Last Updated June 18th.
  6. Firmware 2.3.2.32 Last Updated September 7th.

Updating the firmware is getting longer and longer.Guess the next update time.Maybe this month.Or Christmas brings us a surprise.HaHaSmiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The most likely reason for that is after September we started introducing more features so they want additional testing. They also likely want to get a fix for the disconnect issue in there for the release.
Message 12 of 14
Impulse
Aspirant

Is there a new firmware update coming soon to fix the upnp and PPPOE and bridge mode? The main problem is the upnp which doesn't show any forwarded devices nor does it forward them consistently. For eg. I'd have to keep restarting COD to get an Open Nat type and the upnp still appears empty. The hit detection has worsened for me after switching to this router as well, wish there was an explanation for that.
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 13 of 14
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Are you getting an Open NAT type on the console test?

And have you consirdered setting up manual port fowarding rules?

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7