× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Not Blocking some Devices

Jim_Albani
Guide

XR500 Not Blocking some Devices

there are times I wish to block a device on the network and it's fairly straight forward to do, But for some reason, it doesn't seem to work out that way.. I'll go into the routers web page settings, I'll select Device manager from the left column, and pick a device that I want to block... For example, A tablet.  I'll click on it, and on the right side of the screen a pane will open showing the devices info, such as Mac address, IP Address, Connection Type and the name of device.. Well, I'll click on "Block" and then "Save".. The Icon turns black and voilla it should be blocked... Well, not all the ones I select actually get blocked.. It will still be connected and able to access the internet. Some devices that i select to block will have to wait for 2-3 min before the blocking kicks into effect, and other devices, it doesn't do anything... This also applies to some of the ether wired devices such as the livingroom computer that's connected VIA Ethernet cable.. .As I mentioned The devices that I'm blocking are turning black after clicking on save, but it doesn't seem to make any difference with certain devices.. And an added note... I'm making sure that it's the correct IP addresses of the devices since I can't block by Mac Address.. . Have no idea why... Any help would be appreciated... 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

IP address reservations are needed for device blocking to work right. 

@Jim_Albani wrote:

No they're connected directly to the routers wifi or Ethernet ports... I decided to take a chance and try something off the wall as I remember another router having a similar issue as well.. I tried reserving the IP Address of the devices that are having trouble blocking internet access to and now it seems to work but still not as quick as normal... My Cell phone now blocks within a couple of seconds where as the Samsung Galaxy Tablet seems to still take about 3-4 min, but at least it starting to block... 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are the devices that you're trying to block directly connected to the router either through WiFi or ethernet or are they connected to a switch or router behind the XR?
Message 2 of 12
Jim_Albani
Guide

No they're connected directly to the routers wifi or Ethernet ports... I decided to take a chance and try something off the wall as I remember another router having a similar issue as well.. I tried reserving the IP Address of the devices that are having trouble blocking internet access to and now it seems to work but still not as quick as normal... My Cell phone now blocks within a couple of seconds where as the Samsung Galaxy Tablet seems to still take about 3-4 min, but at least it starting to block... 

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

IP address reservations are needed for device blocking to work right. 

@Jim_Albani wrote:

Message 4 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It is unlikely to make a difference but could you try changing the device type to a PC or a phone and then see if it blocks quicker? Have you made any changes to these devices? Are they connected to guest WiFi?
Message 5 of 12
Jim_Albani
Guide

I just tried changing the device settings of the tablet in the device manager from Tablet to Computer & Then phone, and it still takes about the same amount of time.. eventually the connection cuts off, but it takes a little time for it to do it.. 

Message 6 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The devices that you're experiencing this issue on have you made any manual settings towards these devices such as port forwarding, QoS, Geo-Filter etc?
Message 7 of 12
Jim_Albani
Guide

Nope.. Just connected them to Wifi using the network Key... They have no trouble connecting.. They work perfectly fine in that aspect... The only modifications I made were to other devices through QOS on the devices that are working completely normal... As I mentioned in the previous post was the Tablet is now blocking, but just takes a bit longer than normal for the block to actually kick in.. but at least it's blocking the way it's supposed to be.. 

Message 8 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Very strange, what model is the tablet? Is it old or new? Are you using Smart Connect at all? I wonder if it's not able to switch WiFi very well which is having a knock on affect.
Message 9 of 12
Jim_Albani
Guide

I wouldn't say new... I've had it for a couple of years.. It's a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" and yes... I havn't changed the smart connect since all the devices are changing bands propperly when they need to and it's not sluggish al all online... Seems to be working ok now..  I'm just going to leave it as it stands... Don't want to mess anything up.. 

Message 10 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's fair enough, well let us know if you have any more issues or that becomes worse.
Message 11 of 12
Jim_Albani
Guide

I will, and thanks for all your help.... So far so good 😉 

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7